PDA

View Full Version : FULL SAIL ONLINE Vs Academy of Arts University

Gandamu
10-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Hello,

I'm wanting to get into either of these two schools but the choice is just too difficult for me.. I would need some help and advice.

I have yet to call both places because I know when I do enter my information for the "Requested Information" I will get calls day/night. *I know how they work* IF you guys have any input please feel free to drop by and hint away. :)

1. What 3D software do both schools use? Maya/3Ds max ?

2. I will try to get into either one through their Online classes. Anybody know anything about either school online classes?

3. If I'm not mistaking Full Sail ranges on the 77k to get my full game design Education. Any ideas on the Academy of Arts University? Under Game Design.

Academy of Arts University.
http://www.academyart.edu/game-design-school/aa-program.html

Thank you!

FrankIowa
10-04-2012, 03:24 AM
I've never visited nor attended either school, but $77,000 for going to school is way too much. There are better options (it may help to search for similar threads in this forum).

Panupat
10-04-2012, 09:19 AM
AAU's tuition fee was $450/unit when I started, $600/unit when I graduated. 1 class is usually 3 units. So approximately, if you're doing a BFA, you'll be taking about 12 classes a year for a total of 4 years. 12x4 = 48 classes x 3 = 144 units = $86,400 not including labs fee.

$600 was 7 years ago mind you. I'm sure the price has gone up already.

bujin9
10-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Hi
I had actually signed up for AAI a few years ago and dropped them after a few courses....I was severely disappointed at the quality. Sometimes, it seemed like a student was teaching the video plus some of the content seemed kind of old.
I'm currently in my last year at full sail online. Please understand first your intentions on going to either of these schools. I totally agree with the earlier post that cost is high. I'm only going there because I got a lot of credit for other college work I've done..otherwise, I probably wouldn't have done it (in retrospect, looking back from where I am now...I probably wouldn't have attended F.S. either...but that's another story).
If your just going to get a degree under your belt...maybe choose a community college for art and consider something like gnomon or escape or animation mentor on the side?
If I had to do it again...that's what I would've done. I've done both escape and A.M, both were top notch and I learned more from them than from anywhere so far. I've not done Gnomon but I've heard nothing but great stuff.
j

HobblesLake
10-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Yup AAU is at about 750 a unit now. I'm currently in my junior year and trying to get out. I'm only a half time student this semester because I didn't want to pay anymore, and half time was as much as my grants and scholarships would cover.

And to be honest with you about online classes, most of us that live on campus only resort to take online classes for general ed to free up our schedules. I've taken 3 so far, and I know how the school advertises it, they make it seem like it's feedback feedback feedback and video tutorials everywhere! But it's very rare that your instructor will have lectures and tutorial videos set up for you to watch. Out of the 3 times I've taken online classes, it was all reading. I got a 3-5 minute video every once in a while, but I guess that would depend on your instructor.

Andrewty07
10-17-2012, 03:39 AM
Would you recommend knocking out the liberal arts credits online with AAU? I am still waiting on transcript transfers from my previous degree to see how many I will have left though I am sure it will be at least 28 for my BFA.

CGTalk Moderation
10-17-2012, 03:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.