PDA

View Full Version : My hardest nut yet!.. please help!..

Heinz
12-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Hi guys....

Im doing a music video right now... and i dont know how to achieve the following effect...

I want to travel trough a tunnel... full of lights...(rings of lights!)...

And im loading a wav file into LW and using the Audio plugin in the graph editor to make the light intensity follow the music... and the lens flare intensity!....

but my problem is..... i want the nearest ring to the camera to follow the music... and i want the next ring to have some delay on the light and lensflare intensity... and the next ring more delay... and so on... so i can see my beats dissapear through the tunnel.... but this is going to be a problem... since when im moving the camera through the tunnel the beats will not be in sync with the music....

Any suggestions!?..

pit
12-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Might be a case for Amelie:

http://www.rayserver.com/amelie/

Ed Bittner
12-04-2003, 11:26 AM
First of all, I would videotape the pulsing levels of the beats from say, a graphic equalizer. Then break the timing down from seconds to frames for reference. If the vehicle is passing through the tunnel, then it should be passing under, or, through lights constantly. Just have the speed of said vehicle move with the "tempo" and don't start another "light pulse" until the next ring. Another way would be to have the LW lights parented to the vehicle, so that the receading light is always ahead. Just envelope the LW lights to start the pulse when,(a) you pass through the ring, and(b) on the proper beat. ( I don't know if you have access to a non-linear video editing program, but I did a 10 minute vid for a local band, and used Ulead's "Video Studio"). Also I don't know if this helped, or helped to confuse you.
Good luck,
Ed

Heinz
12-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Hi...

Ed: i think you misunderstood me a bit...

the rings will light up to the music.... using the Audio plugin in the graph editor!.. and the f.eks the bassdrum will light up and dissapear into the tunnel...

Ed Bittner
12-04-2003, 12:42 PM
No, I caught all that. What I'm saying is.......
1. Follow the timing in the graph editor, mark the beats.
2.Parent the LW lights to the camera, NOT the modeled lights
3. As the camera passes through the tunnel, adjust the camera speed, (from the begining), to pass under the modeled lights with aid of the graph editor,, following the beats.
4. Because the LW lights are parented to the camera they will
always be in the correct position to light and fade(i.e. light1, light2
lighyt3, light4 each with lesser values in sussession,moving away from the camera, down the tunnel.
5. As long as the camera is under the modeled lights at the proper time, the envelopes on the LW lights should appear to be triggered from the beats.
If I still don't get it, please tell me what I'm not understanding.
Ed

Heinz
12-04-2003, 01:01 PM
but then the lights will stand still.....

i also plan to make some turning when moving in the tunnel... its not just straight!....

Ed Bittner
12-04-2003, 01:24 PM
They wouldn't stand still if the camera was moving. If your LW light array is set down the axis the camera is facing, they will always light and dim in front of the camera.As long as the camera is moving under the modeled lights,( following the beats to make sure the LW light array is in the same place as the modeled lights). If the LW lights are spaced apart the same distance as the modeled lights, it won't miss. For turns, clone the light array to another camera and use "camera switcher". That way you can use the same envelopes for all the lights as long as the beat is the same. When it changes, adjust the envelopes. It will take some pre-planning, and timing, but as long as the camera with the child array of LW lights moves under the modeled lights with the beats, it should work.
Ed

Heinz
12-04-2003, 01:49 PM
offcourse they will move...

But the illusion i want to make is that you move thru the light rings....

Ed Bittner
12-04-2003, 01:50 PM
Or better yet, parent the light array to a null, and the null to the camera. Then the camera could move through the array during the beat and rest, and the null could then move the array back up to the camera in time for the next beat. Yes?
Ed

Heinz
12-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Could you make ma an example scene!?..

Ed Bittner
12-04-2003, 01:57 PM
I'll see what I can do.
Ed

zuzzabuzz
12-04-2003, 02:30 PM
some sort of expression needed that equates distance to camera as time(number of frames behind current).
Sounds like an interesting problem! Maybe I will take a crack at it too. Would be nice to do it in such a clever way that the same expression can be applied to all lights and the only variables would be the camera, music, and maybe a 'scaling' null.

Heinz
12-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Yeah... let me see what you can do!... :)...

this will look sooo coool...

Jag Panzer
12-04-2003, 04:38 PM
I know this is a Lightwave forum, but what you're describing would look fantastic and be very simple to do with 'Sound Keys' and 'Shine', which are 2 After Effects plugins.

'Sound Keys' lets you drive any aspect of motion based on a sound file. 'Shine' gives you some of the best lighting effects I've seen.

Mark

jmcalpin
12-04-2003, 05:14 PM
If you have a sound program why not make say 3-4 versions of the same music clip. Find the beat say every 1 second. then make the following:

1.st normal
2nd 1 sec of silence at beginning
3rd 2 sec of silence
4th 3 sec of silence

that should cause enough of a echo kind of effect for it to seem to do what you want.

you'll have to play with the timing and how much it over laps but it should work.

If there is a way to bake the sound onto the channel then you could manually just push the keys down to get the effect you want.

Jay

Heinz
12-04-2003, 05:29 PM
The light effect is easy!...

In the graph editor there is a sound plugin!.. so u can make somthing move or adjust to the music....

and to get the delay is also easy... just use the channel follower with some delay!... very easy to do in LW...

But the hard part... is to move the camera through the tunnel and make the nearest ring of lights be in sync with the music...

i own both soundkeys and shine... and they are very good... but nothing to use for this effect!..

Jag Panzer
12-04-2003, 06:12 PM
Here is why I suggested the After Effects solution -

I would have each light ring in it's own layer, which the previous light being the parent. So it's basically a large hierarchy of layers.

Each light would have a 'lighting up' effect a few frames after it's parent. Most likely the frame delay would be based on the tempo of the music, like 8th notes.

So then as the first light leaves the camera view, the next visible light ring would be assigned the 'on the beat' time reference.

So you would have to reset the timing for each light that's closest to the camera.

Maybe too much work....

Mark

minus
12-04-2003, 08:08 PM
I didn't know there was a sound plug-in in the graph editor! :surprised

Hmm this could make my current project *much* easier...

Heinz
12-04-2003, 10:53 PM
Audio channel.... under modifiers.... it rocks!!!...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.