PDA

View Full Version : moving topology without affecting surface?

MiniBaah
10-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Hey

I am a bit unsure what to search for in regards to my question so i apologize if this question has been up before.

I am making changes on a car model and have some topology i would like to move/slide along the surface. I've seen a similar function in XSI however i am a maya person and using maya.

So, is there any easy way to move part of the topology in maya without "destroying" the exciting surface? Slide edge tool only works on single edges.

Talisen
10-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Not sure whether version matters but in Maya 2010 it is possible to slide multiple edges.
Use the Select Edge Loop Tool from the Select menu to pick the edge loops, then use the Slide Edge Tool to move.
The Slide edge Tool will work on multiple non-contiguous edges as well, just shift select the edges and slide.
It will even slide edges on two different objects in component mode, though the results might be a little strange.

I haven't tried any of this on newer versions of Maya so things may have changed since Maya 2010.

MiniBaah
10-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm working in maya 2012.

I actually ended up just re-creating the topology. Trying to slide it just gave some strange results..

Talisen
10-19-2012, 09:43 AM
I was thinking about this and wondered if perhaps some of your face normals might have been reversed. I tested it and did get erratic results.
Just a thought.
Sorry you ended up having to rebuild the topology.

MiniBaah
10-19-2012, 10:15 AM
hmm good piont. I'll remember to check that next time in run into a similar problem.

Although the topology i wanted to move was not entire edge loops. It was a specific area on a surface.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2012, 10:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.