PDA

View Full Version : New PC for 3DS Max + Vray.

Eric24
10-03-2012, 03:11 AM
I'm somewhat of a "technical" computer noob and I'm getting ready to try to purchase a new pc for my freelance modeling. My Alienware laptop has been rode hard and put up wet, so it's about time to retire it.

With that said, I'm looking at purchasing a desktop this time for use with 3ds Max and Vray. I've looked at all of the "Build it Yourself" online stores with their configuration tools, but really don't know what I'm doing.

I'm looking at a budget of about $2000 US.

Could anyone give me some suggestions on how to get the most for my budget?

I really have no idea what would benefit me, and would really appreciate it if someone could give me some pointers.

Thanks,

jojojo
10-03-2012, 10:04 AM
I think that, considering your budget, a setup with an i7 3930k should be the best possible machine for you if you're aiming for render speed. If you're only going to be modeling, a higher base-clocked and fewer-cores-machine with i7 3770k might (!, the turbo mode clocks them up to 3,8 (3930k) and 3,9(3770k) GHz) give you a the same or better performance for less money and be less power hungry, obviously always depending on the graphics you choose.

CGIcon
10-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Yeah I'm in the same boat here too. I'm kinda computer building illiterate. Decided to attempt to build something in cyberpowerpc. (is that a good thing?)

this is what I came up with:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1EHACQ

any adjustments, or other recommendations would be great.

main use is modeling, zbrush, and rendering.

thanks

Eric24
10-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah I'm in the same boat here too. I'm kinda computer building illiterate. Decided to attempt to build something in cyberpowerpc. (is that a good thing?)

this is what I came up with:

thanks

I was looking at those myself, so I guess in a way you've posted for the both of us. After some research, I've learned that the Quadro video cards are suited for our type of stuff rather than gaming. That's basically all I know.

qwatkins
10-04-2012, 11:53 PM
...Decided to attempt to build something in cyberpowerpc. (is that a good thing?)I do not have personal experience with this vendor but if they are competent and really put in the components that they list (i.e. they don't bait and switch you), it will likely be fine but you might call them and just ask them about their service policies.

...this is what I came up with:

thanksI noticed that you went for the upgraded cooling fan but didn't have them overclock. IMO the overclock is a no brainer, with the K series chip if you don't you are just leaving performance on the table when it is essentially free. The only other thing I would say is on your video card choice, you could go with one of the mid to upper radeons, be money ahead and likely a big boost in performance. I do not use Zbrush specifically and do not know the numbers for that but the Quadro 2000, generally speaking, doesn't get you a whole lot for the money, thats all.

EDIT: Here (http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/10/review-professional-gpus-nvidia-vs-amd-2011/) is a little more about the why regarding Zbrush. Although, this is 1 year old but unless they have re-written their core engine then it would still apply

Quote from the review:
Some of you may ask why I have not included any ZBrush benchmarks here. The answer is simple: Mudbox’s viewport performance is dependent on the graphics card. ZBrush, on the other hand, uses Pixologic’s proprietary CPU-based technology to render the viewports, so the installed graphics card really has very little impact on performance.

CGIcon
10-05-2012, 01:28 AM
Great. I think I'll switch it out for the AMD Radeon HD 7970 then.

Does upgrading the power supply make a big difference? I've heard that it does. Is it worth it to upgrade from the standard one?

paintbox
10-05-2012, 03:35 PM
What I know is that standard power supplies can be ... standard. So far they have been the components that break the first in my computers, so a good brand might not be overkill.

*ALSO* if you have a bit of cash left, going silent isn't a luxury if you spent hours and hours behind this computer. After my older desktop with factory type noises, for my new desktop I went for whisper silent and it's one of the better investments I made.

qwatkins
10-05-2012, 04:06 PM
...Does upgrading the power supply make a big difference? I've heard that it does. Is it worth it to upgrade from the standard one?Frankly, unless you are or plan on doing multiple video cards I think it unecessary. As a rule of thumb I like to plan on 25ish percent more power than my actual components require, take a look at this (http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp) calculator to get a better idea where you are at power requirement wise.

Mahlon
10-05-2012, 10:06 PM
What I know is that standard power supplies can be ... standard. So far they have been the components that break the first in my computers, so a good brand might not be overkill.

Same here, brothuh.

Mahlon

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2012, 10:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.