PDA

View Full Version : Mitsuba 0.4.0 released!

DanielWray
10-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Hi,

Mitsuba 0.4.0 was released yesterday. It looks like a lot of work has gone into this update.

It's worth noting the documentation that Wenzel has put together looks incredibly good. (Bottom of the post, 36MB PDF.)

http://www.mitsuba-renderer.org/devblog/?p=473

regeneration2005
10-02-2012, 11:55 AM
good to see progress of mitsuba,

some comment about it. when i read the feature i can just say i cant understand the whole thing. its too much technical, we are artist, not physician or mathematician. i dont care about the mlt method or bidirectional pt or another method, i just want my kitchen render well . i dont want too try all this method, i want you choose wich is best for us. a simple site with clear explanation, will make your renderer more popular.

by the way good work!

hkrol
10-02-2012, 03:43 PM
good to see progress of mitsuba,

some comment about it. when i read the feature i can just say i cant understand the whole thing. its too much technical, we are artist, not physician or mathematician. i dont care about the mlt method or bidirectional pt or another method, i just want my kitchen render well . i dont want too try all this method, i want you choose wich is best for us. a simple site with clear explanation, will make your renderer more popular.

by the way good work!

"Mitsuba is a research-oriented rendering system (...)" (from the website)

eworc
10-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Nice, look forward to seeing the improvements.

Als
10-02-2012, 04:35 PM
:bowdown:

Well done, very very nice. Great documentation as well!
I know there is at least one program which did implement Mitsuba, but I can't remember which one it was.
Anyone?

Thanks

Als

TwinSnakes
10-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Blender has an exporter.....and there is one coming for Softimage as well.

But, any program that can export to OBJ or Collada is fine as well, materials and all.

CHRiTTeR
10-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Blender has an exporter.....and there is one coming for Softimage as well.

But, any program that can export to OBJ or Collada is fine as well, materials and all.

But obj or collada cant export more advanced materials with sss, reflection/refractions, etc... right? How do you that?

TwinSnakes
10-04-2012, 03:12 PM
But obj or collada cant export more advanced materials with sss, reflection/refractions, etc... right? How do you that?

Mitsuba allows you to override materials by name. So all you do is, in your 3D program, give your objects a material, and name that material something, lets say "sss_mat".

Then you define a Mitsuba material and designate the Mitsuba material to replace all instances of "sss_mat" from you 3D file with this Mitsuba material you've defined.

CHRiTTeR
10-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Mitsuba allows you to override materials by name. So all you do is, in your 3D program, give your objects a material, and name that material something, lets say "sss_mat".

Then you define a Mitsuba material and designate the Mitsuba material to replace all instances of "sss_mat" from you 3D file with this Mitsuba material you've defined.

Hey, thanks for pointing that out!

Maybe ill try this renderer later.
Is it fast? or is it just a proof of concept?

bellsoffreedom
10-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Great job so far! I look forward to the updates. I may have to work this into my box of tools :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2012, 08:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.