PDA

View Full Version : PD Pro Painter for $5

doghat
10-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Version 5 of PD Pro Digital Painter for $5

http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/sales/545.html

Why are we selling Dogwaffle 5 for 5 dollars?

In a couple of words, to increase our user base. We believe that once people use the software, they will love it, which could mean future upgrades for us.

Why version 5?

We feel that version 5 offers a tremendous amount of power, while still leaving an upgrade option for users who want more.

Version 5 was released in 2010. It was the first version designed to run under Windows 7/Vista and future operating systems. To get the most from it however we ask that you set the “Disable desktop composition” compatibility flag for the application. This is because we had not yet optimized our underlying GUI code for the new glass look of Windows 7. This is a simple, one-time step.

Since then, we've released version 6 under a new name, Howler, followed by 7 last year, and 8 recently this summer.

What's in version 5?

Simple answer: Quite a lot. On the painting side, there's tablet support, natural media painting with a visual browser to find your media, advanced color picking such as a palette mixer, and the red/yellow/blue model from traditional art. There's of course layers, drawing primitives like spheres, rectangles and curves, gradients, alpha selections, and all the usual stuff.

On the animation side (yes, there's animation too) there's onion skin, lip syncing with an exposure sheet, a timeline to apply animated filters to sequence of frames, or even to animated brushes, and a number of other features designed for animators and video types. The developer was himself a professional animator (Mystic Knights, Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles, Star Trek Voyager, Max Steel, Dan Dare) In the latest update to this version, 5.1b, there's even an animation sequencer called frame painter that can be used to sequence a small number of frames into a longer animation.

Technology wise, version 5 supports multi-threading and MMX for some pretty impressive speed. There's some use of the .Net framework version 4 for certain things. We wanted to support a modern set of freely available languages for plugin development, such as the “Express” versions of the languages from Microsoft.

What's in the latest version if I decide to upgrade?

In version 6, we gave the program a new name, “Howler,” and for good reason. There are some bold improvements in speed, making use of SSE2 as a base level of technology, along with wider use of threading, and other improvements.

Later versions added a number of features. These are just a few:

Improvements and additions to painting tools and tablet support.
Camera stabilization, including motion removal, smoothing, or re-addition.
Rotoscoping to create garbage or traveling mattes, and also as an animation tool, as part of enhancements to the curve tool.
Multiple monitor support.
Motion prediction module to create slow motion from regular video
A re-invented timeline editor with improvements to interactivity and speed.
New 3-D tools and API.
Additional improvements to the interface
Much tighter integration of plugins and reduced use of the .Net Framework.
Second generation particle foliage tool.

For more on PD Pro 5, see http://www.thebest3d.com/pdpro5/index.html

For the latest on version 8 and 8.1, see http://www.thebest3d.com/

Student discount reminder: A full, “commercially un-limited” discount of 70% on version 8 is available to qualified students (current student ID or equivalent).) This means you can use the software without limits, including for commercial projects and no expiration.

Also, for a limited time, you can get Pixelan's GPU accelerated AnyFx special effects tool for Howler for free with a purchase of version 8. This video shows Howler's timeline in use with AnyFx. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI9AlLg-0Qo&list=UUhhWiBVGa-zLq52myfi-UlA&feature=player_embedded

hvanderwegen
10-02-2012, 05:17 AM
The newest version looks very interesting! However, I do have a question - does it support painting in 16bit per channel?

I could not find this information anywhere on the website - and p.s.: the website is a bit of a mess (I am being very constructive here). If you intend to attract new users the website is in desperate need for a complete overhaul. Especially seeing that Howler looks very promising, the website is a complete downer.

hotknife
10-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Yeah - I've often thought about commenting on the state of the website. Again this is meant in a constructive manner. It looks amateur and so is some of the work being shown. It puts me off the product as there is not a professional standard of work or presentation going on here.
It looks temporary which is never a good thing when you're trying to sell something.

efecto
10-02-2012, 08:35 AM
i have to agree with comments above.

Nice work there but the site has too many ads to other products and don't look professional.

doghat
10-02-2012, 04:24 PM
We're 8 bit per channel all the way through.

doghat
10-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Regarding the work on the website:

We're always looking for work done by our users. You can see my work on my portfolio, btw, but I don't always have the strength or wherewithal left to do a lot of work to show off new features when a new version is released. I tend towards the special effects stuff, because that's where my history is. Phillip on the other hand tends toward featuring work by hobbyists and users in other fields, like teachers writing children's books, because that's where his interests lie.

TimothyElliot
10-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Interesting software. I agree with the previous poster. I personally think it would sell your product better if the website itself didn't look like it was designed in the 90s.

GreyGhost
10-03-2012, 11:43 AM
A Mac version could possibly increase your user base!

FKMaster
10-06-2012, 05:25 PM
first issue: i can not paint on a layer with 100% opacity

sceond issue: no mac version !

doghat
10-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I know. It just goes to show how long we've been around, that our layers don't work exactly the same way as they do in that other program. I remember when they came out with those and I just didn't feel lead to go that way.

And a Mac version? Well, the development would have to be paid for somehow, and it's taken me this many years to do the Windows version.

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2012, 09:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.