PDA

View Full Version : Eye SETup help

Infinity3d4life
12-04-2003, 02:04 AM
can't seem to get my characters eyes setup right...I have both eyes with seperate weight maps left and right, 1 bone per eyeball... i parented the bones to the head bone in layout.. then i added a null object in front of the characters face and told each bone to target the null... when i do this the eyes rotate to weird angles inside the eyesocket.. any clue as to what i'm doing wrong??? i followed the tutorial on newteks site, but can't seem to get it to work right??
i also posted this on newtek forum... What happens is that my eyebones rotate downward when i target them to the null,

ClingFree
12-04-2003, 02:13 AM
Where have you place the pivot points for the eyes?

kretin
12-04-2003, 02:14 AM
I'm guessing you're battling gimbol lock on the eye bones cause they're parented to a perpendicular head bone. You have 2 options here:
Either create another bone parented to the head bone, but rotated to the same orientation as the eye bones. Reparent the eye bones to this bone (parent in place on)

Or use your existing eye bone as a base for a new eye bone. place the new eye bone at Z=0, turn strength to 0 for the base bone.

Both these options should zero out the rest rotation of the eye bones, allowing targeting to work properly

Eugeny
12-04-2003, 06:50 AM
If u use record pivot rotation for bones - don't record pivot rotation for the eye's bones - it's sounds crazy but even with classic gimbal lock (two rotation axis are in one ) target will work - looks like target engine use local system coordinates and always try to point Z positive direction to target.

Infinity3d4life
12-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Thats what i did.. i recorded the pivot for the eye bones in layout... how can i go back in modeler and add new bones to my rig, and send them over to layout and convert just the new bones..??? i have my character rigged up, and i went back it to modeler to add some more skelegons that i could use as holder bones.. When i tryed to convert the bones it wants to convert ALL the skelegons in the entire rig again, instead of just the new ones i have added... Thank you guys for your help on this one...

Eugeny
12-04-2003, 01:14 PM
To convert only few (edited) bones u need cut paste all other bones to another layer, and then in Layout convert scelegon in to bones, u wil get prompt window , just hit OK ...
But, this can't help u because u have ALL bones with recorded pivots (if i understand correctly) - so making new bones and reparenting them to head can't help u ... sorry.

My advice - then u working on rig make a copy of rig with completed hierarchy but without record pivot rotation ... then make another one and continue working - i.e. make all IK stuff , targets, and other stuff..

Suricate
12-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Instead of the 'Point At Target' controller (which - as Eugeny pointed out - doesn't work when the pivot rotation is recorded), just create a standard IK chain with only one bone (the eye bone). This works also with pivot rotation recorded.

Alternatively, you can just unrotate the pivot rotation (with the 'Rotate Pivot Tool').

mefestofel
12-04-2003, 04:05 PM
This might not be the problrm you are having but in my rigs i never target both eyes to one null that's somewhat inacurate. to get the eyes looking like they aren't cross-eyed you need to target each eye to its own null and set these two nulls eyes-with apart and then parent them to a third null. You might need to set your nulls at a diferent width, whatever makes your charecter look right

kretin
12-05-2003, 12:23 AM
how can i go back in modeler and add new bones to my rig, and send them over to layout and convert just the new bones..???
Quickest way to add a couple of new bones is usually to create them in Layout, but to convert new skelegons quickly, select all the skelegons "except" the ones you wanna convert, and cut (x). Switch to Layout and convert skelegons, then switch back to Modeler and paste. That way you don't get any extra layers to deal with...

Angelo_Blaze
12-05-2003, 03:08 PM
I ran into this problem before too.

1)Make sure, in modeler, that your bones are in the very center and not the back of your eyeballs.

Also, you may have to re do your wieght maps. sometimes lightwave spazzes about stuff like that.

2)Make sure that those bones are set to "Use wieghtmap only"

3)when setting up your eyes, it's a good idea to have your eyes targeting 2 separate nulls that are right in front of them.(so that they start off in their original position) have those nulls parented to a master null. so in the top view it should look like this.

+--------O left eye
+
+--------O right eye

that way you don't end up with cross eyes or anything like that.

If there is still a problem, then i don't know what else could be happening. however, I'm still just a student. hahaha...so yeah. I hoped I helps you in some way. Goodluck buddy!
-A-:bounce:

kretin
12-05-2003, 11:24 PM
actually you don't need to worry about "Use Weightmap Only"... I never use it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.