PDA

View Full Version : Computer Build for Houdini

skishepherd
09-30-2012, 02:18 AM
Hello, and thank you in advance for any help you are willing to give.

Recently I received a degree in computer animation, specializing in visual effects. I got my first job out of college a couple months ago and have been saving up for a nice power PC. The only probelm is that I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to PC specs. I have been a mac fanboy my whole life and want to make the switch to windows.

I need the computer to run Houdini, Maya particle and fluid simulations at decent pace. My laptop is really not cutting it anymore. Im willing to Pay up to $3000, but dont want to go much past $2000 unless it makes a significant difference in sim and render times.

Thanks again for any advice

olson
10-01-2012, 07:22 PM
If you will be using Houdini most of the time I'd suggest running Linux as the primary operating system instead of Windows. Do you have anything already like a monitor and peripherals or are you looking for a complete setup with everything?

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2012, 07:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.