PDA

View Full Version : Turbsmooth Pro released

obliviboy
09-28-2012, 09:31 PM
http://www.mariussilaghi.com/sites/default/files/images/turbosmooth-pro-01.jpg

No more annoying support loops

TurboSmooth Pro is a modifier plugin for 3ds Max which produces nice smooth semi-sharp creases on your models, unlike the ugly creases that the standard TurboSmooth produces. TurboSmooth Pro also give you the ability to have linear UVs which in some cases can help in the texturing pipeline.

More here http://www.mariussilaghi.com/products/turbosmooth-pro

pixelforge
09-29-2012, 02:12 AM
Nice! That looks incredibly useful.

tigre85
09-29-2012, 02:37 AM
This man can do what Autodesk has not done in years, Quad Chamfer, Reversion Subdivision, Morpher tension, shape, radial symmetry, Jiggle, Pro Turbosmooth, are just a few examples.
Autodesk gifted us the egg shaped spline instead.
Sorry for my complains, This guy is awesome (http://www.mariussilaghi.com), pretty good tools for 3ds max.

Strob
09-29-2012, 04:01 AM
Great tool great price! Again!

jigu
09-29-2012, 04:49 AM
Great plugin! Can you add "Adaptive Subdivision" support based on camera distance? (more of like vertex based soft selection, further the mesh/planes from camera less subdivision requires). It will be really helpful to create large ocean and landscape creation where less polys are needed on horizone.

sandykoufax
09-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Is this related with 'opensubdiv' ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-3L9BOTEtw&feature=g-u-u

obliviboy
09-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Great plugin! Can you add "Adaptive Subdivision" support based on camera distance? (more of like vertex based soft selection, further the mesh/planes from camera less subdivision requires). It will be really helpful to create large ocean and landscape creation where less polys are needed on horizone.

I have been thinking about this too. It is possible. If anybody would want this feature please speak up. I will see what I can do about it and future release

Is this related with 'opensubdiv' ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-3L...w&feature=g-u-u (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-3L9BOTEtw&feature=g-u-u)
Yes it is. I had to make my own implementation for max, now that Pixar did let go of the patents on semi-sharp creases.

davius
09-29-2012, 12:23 PM
You're amazing Marius!! These tools of yours should be inside Max already for years!! Wish you keep the great work for years to come!

A related question - does this plugin makes modeling with supporting edge loops completely obsolete?

plastic
09-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Imagine Autodesk would exchange the whole "dev team" (I still doubt they actually have a dev team, I believe they outsource everything) with this guy.
I don't dare to imagine how much money they generate with subscription and new purchases.
Let's say, millions.
Anyway, you take a single guy adding a few new modifiers per year and 3ds max would improve at a faster rate than it does now.
Ok, take a second guy for viewport enhancements coding.
I really don't get it where all the money is going and what the supposedly thousands of people at Autodesk are actually doing.

Bullit
09-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Is it possible to have a value for the fillet?

obliviboy
10-01-2012, 12:33 PM
You're amazing Marius!! These tools of yours should be inside Max already for years!! Wish you keep the great work for years to come!

A related question - does this plugin makes modeling with supporting edge loops completely obsolete?
It can, but it is choice of what method you prefer.

Is it possible to have a value for the fillet?
You can modify the creasing value for each edge.

Blazer
10-01-2012, 01:46 PM
How about adding a feature where the higher the crease setting the color of the edge changes?

I always find it awkward when using subdivs, because there is this "magic layer" that creases geometry that has no real gui representation. Having a color gradient show it would be awesome.

Decency
10-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Could you add a new video or screenshot showing what this would look like on a texture mapped model? I would like to see what kind of distortion we can see in an objects bitmaps as you adjust crease values.

Also, I would like to second the amazement in this thread that this guy hasn't been hired by AD yet. Just unreal what you are doing for modeling in Max.

obliviboy
10-01-2012, 02:49 PM
How about adding a feature where the higher the crease setting the color of the edge changes?

I always find it awkward when using subdivs, because there is this "magic layer" that creases geometry that has no real gui representation. Having a color gradient show it would be awesome.Thanks for the suggestion. I will see what I can do.

Could you add a new video or screenshot showing what this would look like on a texture mapped model? I would like to see what kind of distortion we can see in an objects bitmaps as you adjust crease values.

Also, I would like to second the amazement in this thread that this guy hasn't been hired by AD yet. Just unreal what you are doing for modeling in Max. There is little to no distortion in my opinion.
See the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fK5b6olDa0

Decency
10-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Unbelieveable. Looks gorgeous. This is so useful for rounding off hard objects, and with minimal UV impact. Total game-changer for modeling.

Airflow
10-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Is it possible to get the crease settings in the modifier. And is it possible to make it animatable.

spurcell
10-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Awesome plugin. Kinda curious if the name of it won't run you afoul of Autodesk, being the same name of the modifier owned by them.

obliviboy
10-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Is it possible to get the crease settings in the modifier. And is it possible to make it animatable.
The creases can only be defined in the Editable Poly object. They can't be animated.
If I would define them in the tb pro modifier then changing the topology under it would destroy the them.

Awesome plugin. Kinda curious if the name of it won't run you afoul of Autodesk, being the same name of the modifier owned by them.
I'm not aware that the name TurboSmooth is a registered trademark.
They also have the Bend modifier; So what I can't make a Bend Pro modifier?:P

spurcell
10-01-2012, 05:31 PM
The creases can only be defined in the Editable Poly object. They can't be animated.
If I would define them in the tb pro modifier then changing the topology under it would destroy the them.

I'm not aware the name TurboSmooth is a registered trademark.
They also have the Bend modifier; So what I can't make a Bend Pro modifier?:P

Yeah the name might be not be registered. You might be 100% fine. Just would hate to see you forced to change it down the line.

Decency
10-01-2012, 05:33 PM
I think SuperDuperSmooth would be a safe bet :beer:

obliviboy
10-03-2012, 07:48 AM
http://www.mariussilaghi.com/sites/default/files/images/turbosmooth-pro-06.jpg
I released version 1.01.

Changes in 1.01
-Added a visualize edge creases mode
-Fixed a bug that caused faces set invisible to be displayed after they have been subdivided
-Fixed a typo in the UI, "Linear" instead of "Liniar"

Here is a video of the new Visualize edge crease mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sLJ0ftVu_8

ice-boy
10-03-2012, 01:55 PM
some are saying that with this you get a smaller polycount and others that you need more polygons for a smooth results. compared to normal support loops.

anyone tryed it out and compared the results?

obliviboy
10-03-2012, 02:06 PM
some are saying that with this you get a smaller polycount and others that you need more polygons for a smooth results. compared to normal support loops.

anyone tryed it out and compared the results?The base object will be lower in polycount as there won't be support edges, giving you the ability to easily modify it, but the subdivided mesh will be higher poly because it needs more iterations. Render iterations can be useful to only subdivide at render time.

fez
10-03-2012, 04:00 PM
The ultimate no-brainer buy for Max modelers.

The integration is seamless. I understand what Neil is saying in terms of licensing but I just assume the developer stay independent so we do not have to wait for features and bug fixes. At least for the short term.

Long term, being able to import/export weighted subds through FBX would obviously be most welcome.

Thanks Obliviboy and Pixar.

soulburn3d
10-11-2012, 08:28 PM
The base object will be lower in polycount as there won't be support edges, giving you the ability to easily modify it, but the subdivided mesh will be higher poly because it needs more iterations. Render iterations can be useful to only subdivide at render time.

Another thing to consider, lets say you have a really long and thin box. If you have no inbetween loops, you'll need to add a really large crease value on the edges to get them sharp. So in these cases, adding support edges, even though you're using creases, will make the creases look better. But instead of adding the support edges right next to each other, I generally cut the box in half with a new edge loop, so your long face is now half as long.

The integration is seamless. I understand what Neil is saying in terms of licensing but I just assume the developer stay independent so we do not have to wait for features and bug fixes. At least for the short term.

Long term, being able to import/export weighted subds through FBX would obviously be most welcome.

Yes, being independent does mean faster iteration cycles on fixes.

But sadly, I (and I assume some other people) can't use this plugin because most of my modeling needs to be eventually moved to Maya / Mudbox. So support edges for me.

- Neil

darthviper107
10-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Some cases are kind of weird though as far as developing new 3ds Max features--like the Viewport Canvas, originally not very useful but then they had one developer build that into a way more useful 3D painter with layer support and filters and stuff. Makes you wonder why they can't do that type of thing with lots of features.

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2012, 08:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.