PDA

View Full Version : Rounding skull advice ?

cmortier
06-14-2002, 04:03 PM
Hi everyone,

I need some modelling advice. I have model a gobelin head with the help of a tutorial on the net. (You will probably recognise it :) )
But on the skull there is some problems, I can't make it smooth, I've tried to move points here and there but these holes and mounds are still there, I can't get rid of them.
Anyone can help me with that ?

I've probably gone to fast to details, anyway I use XSI.

I put a picture to show that.

cmortier
06-14-2002, 04:05 PM
Here is a wireframe of the skull.

wmaher2
06-14-2002, 06:06 PM
I would leave it once a nice goblin texture has been applied it will look that much more interesting....but anyway I can see from here that the polys arent modelled smoothly....Some verticies are obviously slightly out of place

wmaher2
06-14-2002, 06:07 PM
Try working with the shading level in geo approx down to 0-30 ish rather than up near 180

cmortier
06-15-2002, 07:30 AM
I usually work on shading 0 and in low poly on the left side of the face and put an instance just next with shading 60 and 2 level of subd surface.
I will push and pull the points that are wrong, I was looking for and esaier way because moving one point at a time is time consuming.

Grey
06-21-2002, 09:46 PM
not sure what software you're using, but the solution would be one of two methods.

1. Create a sphere, scale and position it and pull the polygons till they match the surface of the sphere.

2. create several oval or circular spline curves, enable snap to curve (depending on your software) level them with the polygon layer you're working with, scale it properly, and snap the polygons to the curve.

cmortier
06-22-2002, 01:45 AM
I use softimage XSI.
I actually finished the model, by pulling one point at a time.
I will keep in mind your suggestions next time I will need to do someting like that.

Grey
06-22-2002, 02:07 AM
I'm dealing primarily in the ability to use Spline curves to define where mesh points go... since I started mesh modelling (which hasn't been very long) I've come to rely upon them... I just happen to have a lot of experience using them and I find them nice and predictable... whereash SubDivs aren't always...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.