PDA

View Full Version : Is there any reason to make a new LW user site?

m_luscombe
12-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Just a little background: I wrote and run a site called StrataCafe

http://www.stratacafe.com

I've been running it for about 4 years now, and it's been pretty successful for the community it serves.

I got really excited about the possiblity of doing the same with LW a while back, and registered www.lwcafe.com but haven't done anything with it. Now it's time to renew the URL =)

So, just looking for some random thoughts. There are so many 3D and LW Specific sites out there, is there really any reason for another? Any need that isn't being addressed by 3-4 sites already?

Negative feedback is important as well. It's a lot of work to run a community site, especially if the community isn't behind it =)

LittleFenris
12-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Honestly, I think there are plenty of LW forums and sites out there already. If you were gonna host tutorials and stuff that aren't on other sites, that would be good, but just for forums I don't think its needed. About the only one I get any REAL help on is this one anyways. I don't even bother posting in the Newtek LW forums cause the question gets answered faster and better here on CGTalk. That I know of there is LWG3D.org, the Newtek LW forum, CGTalk, Simplylightwave, etc... I don't think you should waste your time or resources ($$) on another LW forum. Its a nice idea, but probably more work and a waste of your money than its worth. :shrug: But its your time and money, not mine. Anything new I learn from it is all good. :wip:

m_luscombe
12-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Well, the Cafe thing isn't just a forum:

- Setup a profile and post as many images to it as you want. Sortable gallery, personal profile comments, etc.

- Upload and download models and textures

- Searchable tip database

- Benchmark files and results

- Yes, forums

- I also run 'no-prize' monthy challenges there that get quite a bit of interest, but purely in a 'what to do with your leisure time' kind of way

I don't create or host video-tutorials, Like Buzz or SimplyLW, but I also don't charge for the site. I'd be looking to pay for the hosting via sponsorships by companies that are symbiotic to Newtek.

Good thoughts, though. There are only so many places one person can chat about software, people tend to gravitate towards one and stick to it.

LittleFenris
12-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Sounds like a great plan, I just don't know how much interest it will generate. I mean if its good (like these forums are) it will go far, but if it gets little traffic (Newteks LW forum) then it won't generate much interest. I still don't understand how Newteks site gets less traffic (it seems) than the CGTalk LW forum. :shrug: Must be because more "pro's" come here than the NT forums. I would post in the NT forum and eventually get a response or suggestion, but here like within an hour or so you could have 2 or 3 responses sometimes. Once I found this forum, i rarely check LWG3D or NT or SLW. But maybe thats just me. The uploadable gallery idea and some of your other ideas are cool though (for people that don't have sites of there own to host pics). :buttrock:

Psyhke
12-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Hi m_luscombe,

That's pretty cool that you made that site... I came from Strata before Lightwave and I remember that site, and I think it's pretty nice.:thumbsup: You know, I would say that if you were debating starting a new site totally from scratch, having to go through all the headaches that that entails, and then have the potential letdown of having participation being lower than hoped for, or what have you, then I would say yeah, you might want to really consider that possibility before hand and only do it unless you really planned on doing it no matter what anyways. However, if you were thinking that you could almost entirely re-use the stratacafe site, and update it with a different lightwave oriented look-and-feel (i.e. mainly just graphic work), then heck, I'd say go for it if there are no legal issues, etc. to stop you from doing it.

My 2 cents.

Miyazaki
12-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Ive bookmarked a lot of resources but cannot visit them regulary. Mostly it`s not necessary because they have common news, tuts, links.
In my opinion you should work together with existing resources and help to create their content.
A large centralized resource is more helpul than a hundred small ones ;)

carbon8
12-03-2003, 11:37 PM
Hey luscombe!!
Way back in the strata years, I used your site alot. It was a great resource, especially since there wan't much on the web for strata users. I still stop by every now and then to see what you've been up to.

As for a LWcafe, I think it would be cool. Don't try to do the same as flay.com. If you keep the same or similar structure as stratacafe, you should do well with it.

If you need any help with the programming, PM me and let's talk.

:thumbsup:

Keiyentai
12-04-2003, 05:15 AM
I think it would be a cool site. I'm always loking for more LW stuff. :D

WU2
12-04-2003, 06:22 AM
sounds like a good idea to me...i'd be interested in more lightwave-specific content for sure...

Keiyentai
12-04-2003, 06:54 AM
Ditto :D More LightWave stuff more more more more! lol.

Zarathustra
12-04-2003, 06:11 PM
There isn't enough time in the day to visit all the sites. SimplyLightwave started off big then fizzled out. I can go months without checking there and nothing's changed.

Personally, I come here and then Newtek's forum less frequently. That's really it.

Locutus
12-04-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Zarathustra
There isn't enough time in the day to visit all the sites. SimplyLightwave started off big then fizzled out. I can go months without checking there and nothing's changed.

Personally, I come here and then Newtek's forum less frequently. That's really it.
Exactly!! I have an account with several sites, but CGTalk is the only one I visit daily. I might visit Newtek's forum, 3DBuzz, or 3D Total a couple times a month if I'm lucky.
Adding another site/forum would be over-kill.
However, if you can provide resources that these other sites/forums don't or can't provide, then you'll definitely get a visit from me (not that I'm anyone special:p ).
Make it unique, make it stand out from the others.

ptaverner
12-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Hey Mike! Waaaaaasup?!?!?

A new LW site is always welcome! I don't know how much traffic you'd get, unless, you were to have a forum, and some GREAT LW tutorials. Beginner, medium, and advanced categories.

If you were picky about the tutorials that you posted ( weed out the weak and poorly written and keep the ones that not only tell you how to do something, but also explain what you're doing as you go along.. ala Todd Grimes DVDs ), then I think you'd get a lot more visitors.

I find that a lot of tutorials out there aren't very good for first time users.

My thoughts anyway.

Peter

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.