PDA

View Full Version : Cloud City, Jasso (3D)

JJASSO
12-03-2003, 05:53 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/23487/cloud_city_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/23487/cloud_city.jpg)

this is a matte painting ispired by other mattes I have seen, all the buildings are 3d and some of the stones are 3d too , it is rendered whit some basic textures in 3ds max, whit brazil and GI, then all is composited in photoshop where I added a lot of detail to every layer and some other elements are hand painted all in photoshop, the fisrt image is the sketch I did , in photoshop too , to get the final look I search the internet always for real photo reference and I added a little bit of my artistic and personal touch too

http://www.iespana.es/mtqb/jaime/final%20sketchS.jpg

FINAL IMAGE

Nostradamus
12-03-2003, 06:04 PM
Wow!:....... that is really really really ...really really impressive.... only thing that bugs, me that the mountains in the background looks kinda wierd... whereas the rest, looks absolutely stunning! :)

mattmos
12-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Great work man. The contrast in the image works very well and there is a lovely sense of depth with the colours fading to blue. Texturing is also very good. Crits? The gleam coming off the buildings could be dialled down a touch. But that's really not much of a problem.
Nice one :thumbsup:

Max4ever
12-03-2003, 06:08 PM
the sketch is great and the way you integrated 3d with 2d amazes me...great work james.
:thumbsup:

silv
12-03-2003, 06:25 PM
front page stuff

i love the glow and the texturing

DeathGoth
12-03-2003, 06:26 PM
This looks cool... I want to be able to do this... only thing i am halfway good at is making 3d scene indoors.. I tryed an outdoor scene once and it want even as good as an indoor scene.. but this looks great.. nice work..

Originally posted by silv
front page stuff

i love the glow and the texturing

also I agree wit him

HapZungLam
12-03-2003, 06:40 PM
i love it, but compare with your reference, the mountain is abit pointy looking. besides that, i'll give you 5 stars

JJASSO
12-03-2003, 06:52 PM
hey guys thanks for your comments I think you're right about those background mountains I will change the shape of the mountains for a different one, trying to make them look more like my sketch and much more less pointy I will post the corrected mountains in a few hours thanks guy

AkaKico
12-03-2003, 06:57 PM
:thumbsup: I really like this. The larger pic improves on everything in the smaller. I'm trying really hard to find something to give you crit on, but I can't find anything I'd want to change. Keep up the great work man!

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107047 (I NEED A MEDIC (and some feedback please...))

3D-ima Green
12-03-2003, 07:30 PM
ooo thats some awesome work there! :D i like it alot :)

.. nothing to crit

Troy
12-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Great, how are the clouds made? or are they 2d?

The background mountains don't seem to fit in, perhaps add some volumetric shafts of light to mask them a bit, like in the painting

paconavarro
12-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Great work Jasso... I also think that due of erosion the mountains could be less pointy....

:bowdown: Master :bowdown:

unwrap
12-03-2003, 10:01 PM
Very well done work. My vote! :thumbsup:

JJASSO
12-03-2003, 10:23 PM
hey guys here I am again I just finished doing the changes to the background mountains , to me it looks much better and the sense of real height is shown better check it out
thanks for you comments again

http://www.metacube.com.mx/james/cloud%20city_final%20copy.jpg

yoshimitsu
12-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Those Mountains were great all pointy the way they were.
It struck me as a scene on a low gravity planet. I think it gives the scene a much more fantastic feel, as if there's a whole world of different, unknown things in the distance. The scene with plausible mountains brings everything down to a somewhat boring plane of reality...
I like the escape you had in the first version.

numlock
12-04-2003, 01:32 AM
:buttrock:
great! can't say anymore then great job..!!like the rocks texture and the clouds
how many light did u use?

Plays_4_Pants
12-04-2003, 02:33 AM
Simply phenomenal. The only suggestion is to add color. Earth tones are always the easy uncreative way out

Max4ever
12-04-2003, 03:58 AM
I think the last one is better, the mountains in the first pic were too sharpen.
I wonder why isn't this plugged yet, it sure deserves it...:surprised

Garma
12-04-2003, 06:43 AM
It's great, but I have to agree with numlock: the original contained more colour (the ref) which makes the picture a little more mystical.

overall good work.

doberman
12-04-2003, 04:54 PM
Very nice work Mr. Jasso.
I really like the mountains on the second version better, though the first ones did seem to belong to a planet with somewhat different physics, the second ones blend better with the rest of te image.

Its weird that you are not on the first page of the site.. mhh.. I hope CGtalk moderators are paying good attention to the posts.

:hmm:

This is great.

Cheers!

D

durbdk
12-04-2003, 08:49 PM
My nose bleeds just looking at this! Fantastic job capturing the feeling of a high altitude city. Awsome work.

mattmos
12-04-2003, 11:09 PM
We're a contradictory bunch hey ;) . I like the flatter more realistic mountains, but it's personal taste when it boils down to it... Call it a day and give yourself a pat on the back for an image nailed!

dimitrios_c
12-05-2003, 02:23 AM
My vote goes to the pointy one. To me, it seems as if the city is sitting on a pointy mountain like the ones in the background. Also I think the specular blooming on the left side needs to be brought down. I think it actually detracts from the realism. Other then that it's movie quality! :thumbsup:

zylhx
12-05-2003, 02:41 AM
:eek: :eek:

darkninja
12-05-2003, 04:32 AM
i like your work.
cool.

HenningK
12-05-2003, 06:18 AM
Beautiful. The original for me. Yoshimitsu said it best: Its an alien planet and those new mountains look too mundane for the rest of the scene.
love,hen

Voursez
12-05-2003, 07:05 AM
I cant say words there are good enough to thjis work... :bowdown:

cserbuj
12-05-2003, 09:53 AM
Fantastic! Looks great! I love this renders with atmosphere. It's make me feel that i am there. Really good! Congratulations.

Just one thing....the place is inspired in the planet Nabo from Star Wars? It looks similar.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DAREONER
12-05-2003, 10:45 AM
yeeeee very goood

JJASSO
12-05-2003, 05:26 PM
hey guys I really apreciate all your comments some like the pointy ones and some like the second version of the mountains , to me I have to say the second version is more realistic and it fits more to the image because is more what we all are used to see and not so much fantasy like, here I put a comparision about the original 3d rendering from 3ds max and GI and the post produced in photoshop see the difference , in the first one I render the 3d model and geometry whit a basic general texture, and in the second one you can see I chaged colors from shadow and light sides, there I added lots of more detail to it licke craks. aging etc the 3d rendering is just one layer at the end just for this building I had 75 layers of details and textures check it out
there's only one light in the scene , ( for the sun ) and of course skylight
http://www.iespana.es/mtqb/jaime/comparision.jpg

Raul-Reznek
12-05-2003, 06:59 PM
GOD DAMN!

this is beautiful from a lot of points of view

guowei
12-05-2003, 07:05 PM
Very nice work,I like!:applause:

Oktavian
12-06-2003, 10:52 AM
You have an excellent taste - great work!

Sir Saukund
12-06-2003, 12:50 PM
:bowdown: Uhhhh Jaaaa!!!
I like this desaturated sepia look!!! Can I rent a flat there? From december 23 to january 6?

k4k
12-06-2003, 03:19 PM
:bowdown: hats off jasso.. i like it a lot...

TedTerranova
12-06-2003, 10:04 PM
This is a really cool image, but I do have a few crits. The scale seems to be off slightly. The structures down the mountain seem to small or too large in relation to each other. I also feel that the city seen below the bridge is not blurred or fogged out enough and because of this it fights with the foreground and doesn't fall back in the image as it should. Also the perspective seems off. The horizon line is above that balcony on the left, but some of the lower buildings don't seem to be following along with this and this might be making it look like a patchwork of many individual images. But as a whole, the painting is really great and I'm just pointing out a couple of things that could maybe improve it. Great work man.

skyeywei
12-06-2003, 10:06 PM
I like it ! very nice work !:applause:

Novakog
12-06-2003, 11:28 PM
OMG, front page work!

Slightly reminiscient of Naboo, but with its own unique quality too!

:drool:

facial
12-07-2003, 05:42 AM
jasso, your work here is really great. i love it.
especial after your modify the background of the second one, you have a artist eyes.
Keep post up more/ :thumbsup:

Tilstrom
12-07-2003, 08:03 AM
Amazing Work man, well done. :beer:

gunslingerblack
12-07-2003, 08:41 AM
i love the idea of a "lake of clouds" it's very artistic and very gripping the image is quite profound looking very good work on the textures i cant hardly tell where the 3d ends and the matte begins excellent work

Drakaran
12-07-2003, 09:22 AM
very nice work on the whole. the architecture is pretty cool and feels foreign/fantastical but not just slapped together or copied from someonewhere/someone else. the color maps etc are really fine work.

two crits:
the cracks don't feel substantial, there is no real depth to them, they almost look like some kind of dressing done artifically to the walls.

there is no green in the landscape at all which makes the pi feel very bleak and desserted. I guess I would have liked to have seen some forest way down in the valleys somewhere and not just stone everywhere. it might have made the pic a little less bleak, but it would feel more "real" that way, at least IMO.

azazel
12-14-2003, 07:30 PM
Really beautiful place. I have one question, are the clouds painted ?

KingMob
12-14-2003, 07:36 PM
hye, got a report ont his post asking why we were ignoring this thread.

Had to plug it, really nice work here.

Any more insight into how you created it would be great.

anyways great stuff.

Only crit is the crack on the foreground buildings seema litle big and painted on...but I might just be being picky.

-Ian

Quizboy
12-14-2003, 07:59 PM
i love this pic without color. also the second pic leaves more open space in the background giving it more a feeling of VASTNESS. I agree that the pointy mountains are better, but I think you should simply redo the new mountains to make them pointy but keep them distant and spaced out like they are (in the second) so it doesn't close in the scene like the mountain wall of the first image.

Fantastic work!

-CCFly-
12-14-2003, 08:14 PM
awesome work!
nice matte painting you got :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

oxyg3n
12-14-2003, 09:01 PM
That is a very beautiful image that you have created.

Tidus_44
12-14-2003, 09:25 PM
thats incredible:applause:

Pgraphics
12-14-2003, 09:31 PM
Really nice work. Post a wire please! :thumbsup:

Virtuoso
12-14-2003, 09:32 PM
There's a very atmospheric and surreal mood with your picture.Very ambiant and I get a very nice feel of grandness,like there is lot's more to see even beyond what you are showing.I like the fact that you have not cut off the picture with an ending to the architecture,this way I still get the feeling of an almost endless grand city up in the clouds.:thumbsup:

It would be nice to see what's around that turn,another view perhaps.......;)

Beautiful work and please say Hello to "paconavarro" from me.:beer:

Now get to work on another angle of this set piece,a few nice 3D angles would be great............. :beer:

chrisWhite
12-14-2003, 09:35 PM
:drool: Wow, it's hard to type when your jaw is on the keyboard...that is stunning! So awesome! Please do post a wire. :thumbsup:

NicoDN
12-14-2003, 09:39 PM
Happy to see you in choice gallery. :applause: :applause:
It's ashame you wasn't here before.
And now... :deal: we want another pic !!!

khaleghi
12-14-2003, 10:00 PM
very nice 3D modeling and lighting.:drool: :applause:

dfacto
12-14-2003, 10:16 PM
Tatooine...

I love it, more than a hamburger, but less than chocolate.

XYZRGB
12-14-2003, 11:40 PM
Wow - this is fantastic ! :buttrock:

One small criticism : The mountains seem to have some pixelated artifacts to them. ( And some variation in color in the the mountains would really improve the look of the piece )
They seem to throw off an otherwise flawless picture.

:bowdown:

Max4ever
12-15-2003, 12:16 AM
congrats dude! Gimme some more!:beer:

JJASSO
12-15-2003, 12:21 AM
hey guys is great to be plugged , thanks for all your comments , I will have some of the procces images about how I came up whit this idea, of course I'm inspired in starwars art and lord of the rings , I tried to build a futuristic city whit some elements from tatooine and lord of the rings castles, thanks for the support guys I'm already planning a new matte painting I will post it later as soon as I finish it :bounce:

lebada
12-15-2003, 12:37 AM
i have talent...no if i could only snatch your knowldge from your brain..lol.

thats amazing work mate...this should be in the next expose for sure.

if u work on it even more, it'll most likely win an award.Dunno what else u could fix..its perfect..lol

great work:thumbsup:

JeT
12-15-2003, 12:52 AM
nice one :) there are some cracky bits that seem unsuited, on the first circular pillar closest to camera, far left. see the cracks centre screen, and then the cracks on the section below? they seem washed out by comparison.

on a whole, great work.

Franc
12-15-2003, 02:38 AM

goodwork

HapZungLam
12-15-2003, 03:19 AM
looks much better for the background. However, maybe in photoshop, haste (foggy) the background mountain might able to give more depth.

decor...
12-15-2003, 03:22 AM
:thumbsup: lovely work jasso

phoenix
12-15-2003, 05:23 AM
very pleasing and beautifull.... coool work

I-NetGraFX
12-15-2003, 10:05 AM
:applause: :thumbsup: The last pic is the best of course!
Awesome digital production. Keep it up!

Cheers, Daniel :beer:

da_rock21
12-15-2003, 01:35 PM
wow, that looks great. inspired by star wars and lord of the rings huh? very nice. watch those movies again and lets see somthing else :thumbsup:

saygon
12-22-2003, 12:12 AM
my jaw is 3 meters below. that swould stand for the level of Ypur work. awsome!!

killeratti
12-24-2003, 01:50 AM
+the new background seems to give a nice sense of height.
i am a big fan of fantasy art.gr8 work,but the mountains seemed kinda pointy

ChinARideR
12-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Stunning work! You have a great sense of light/shadows--the highlights are perfect. Love the blown out kinda quality. One thing to consider--you might want to make the dug-out part of the column a bit smaller. I know you are trying to show the city beneath, but the pillar on the small one is the same size as its building, and it also kinda throws the center line off. I agree with the new mountains a lot more too. Great work man:beer:

DoLeeP
12-25-2003, 01:49 AM

speakersound
12-25-2003, 08:38 PM
Great job! Absolutely stunning!

I've created a short soundtrack for the image, if you're interested, here it is:

http://users.quick-line.ch/speaker/sounds/monasterio.mp3

So long,
Lukas

hussienhussien
12-30-2003, 05:00 PM
i think this is one of the most detailed and awesome image i've ever seen...i even put it as my desktop background:)

:banghead::banghead::banghead:
oh yeah i hate r&b...i just had to say that

kaiten
01-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Cool :D

yeoj3d
01-11-2004, 12:51 PM
great job...that is almost star wars quality work

ibeliveicanfly
01-15-2004, 07:49 AM
:thumbsup: :love:
like it. so great work man!

DoLeeP
02-12-2004, 11:37 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.