PDA

View Full Version : Opteron vs. Xeon

Apoclypse
12-03-2003, 05:10 PM
I'm currently starting plans on building a new workastation ( with both linux and Windows XP pro, on different drives) and I have no idea which processor to go with. I heard that the opteron was faster than the xeon.

The software of choice will be XSI.

Anyways which one is better, Opteron or Xeon.

MimikOctopus
12-03-2003, 05:24 PM
there are numerous threads about this in the tech discussions forum, but to sum up what they all said: Opterons are generally a bit faster, but they are much more expensive. Dual Xeons would be more than ready to handle anything you throw at them, but if you want the absolute latest and greatest tech then the opterons are the way to go. All really comes down to price. You may be able to get a much higher configed Xeon system for the price of the Opterons: ie more ram, bigger hard drives, better vid card etc. good luck on your purchase.

WhiteRabbitObj
12-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Yeah, this thread will get moved to the tech forum shortly, but before it does...

like Milkman said, it's cheaper to get Xeons. BUT, if you are concerned with longetivity, the Opteron will last longer before becoming obsolete. Because by the time the chip itself starts to be considered slow, 64-bit software will have arrived and you can upgrade software and get a massive performance gain instead of upgrading to new hardware (and possible software too!). I'd recommend Opteron, but I'm an AMD fanboy too.

Apoclypse
12-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks I'll take your comments into consideration ( Opteron here i come) What I want to know is why they don't have ghz markings instead they are named series 240 and so on, what's up with that. ( I've been to the AMD site before but I haven't read any PC or CG magazines n a while so I'm out of the loop). Besides the only cg site i go to is this one.

dvornik
12-05-2003, 09:55 PM
You can take a look at this article for a thorough review:
http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000275

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.