PDA

View Full Version : WACOM for an FX Artist .... required?

aqua9
09-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Hello guys,

Does WACOM comes handy for FX Artists? or is it good only for Modeling guys ?

Meloncov
09-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Some use one in order to avoid carpal-tunnel issues, but it's certainly not essential like it is for 2d art or digital sculpting.

aqua9
09-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Some use one in order to avoid carpal-tunnel issues, but it's certainly not essential like it is for 2d art or digital sculpting.

Thanx for a quick response :)

Any good Mouse that you can suggest to make life comfortable? like the one am using now is a basic Logitech M100. I feel like its being too small to handle things. any suggestions on that ?

DePaint
09-22-2012, 08:26 PM
I use this mouse:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/optical-gaming-mouse-g400

Its pretty good so far. And not too expensive...

Wacom is good if you are doing 3D sculpting or texture painting.

For anything else a regular mouse is fine...

Good luck

leigh
09-22-2012, 10:53 PM
I tend to use a Wacom instead of a mouse at all times. It's less stressful on my wrists, which I need to be careful with as my wrists already come under strain constantly with all the photography I do.

CB_3D
09-23-2012, 03:31 AM
Careful.

Using a Wacom is NOT a 100% solution to avoid RSS.

Especially the fingers tend to suffer a lot after years of use, maybe even more so than from a mouse.

Hand, arm, shoulder and finger gymnastics are still needed.

EDIT: One small, but useful hint. Use your thumb for the pen-buttons, not the index finger.

aqua9
09-23-2012, 07:45 AM
I use this mouse:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/optical-gaming-mouse-g400

Its pretty good so far. And not too expensive...

Wacom is good if you are doing 3D sculpting or texture painting.

For anything else a regular mouse is fine...

Good luck

Thanq

what am looking for is something similar, the one which fits my hand entirely, which is bulky :D

this one looks good :)

aqua9
09-23-2012, 07:53 AM
I tend to use a Wacom instead of a mouse at all times. It's less stressful on my wrists, which I need to be careful with as my wrists already come under strain constantly with all the photography I do.

Thanx Leigh :)

As I can see that you are into texturing u will obviously prefer a wacom :D

Good to hear your views about my requirement, anything from such a senior is good to know :)

aqua9
09-23-2012, 07:55 AM
Careful.

Using a Wacom is NOT a 100% solution to avoid RSS.

Especially the fingers tend to suffer a lot after years of use, maybe even more so than from a mouse.

Hand, arm, shoulder and finger gymnastics are still needed.

EDIT: One small, but useful hint. Use your thumb for the pen-buttons, not the index finger.

Thanq for the useful hint :)

tozger
10-10-2012, 05:02 PM
At home I have a bamboo large one, i use maya and zbrush with it, not just for 3d apps but I barely use my mouse now. infact my mouse feels weird and inefficient compared to the tablet. Also i dont think you would need to invest in a pro line wacom unless you do painting with it...

imashination
10-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Really you just need to use whatever you are comfortable with and whatever gives you the control you need. If youre doing texturing work, youll appreciate the fine control your fingertips at the end of a pen can give. For anything else though its really just about preference, its not much of a boon for modelling unless youre into your mudbox/zbrush style sculpting.

Regarding RSI, wacoms dont solve it, they simply move the muscular strain to a different set of muscles; so whilst it will give you plenty of relief moving from a mouse to a pen, its not because the pen is better, its because its different.

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2012, 05:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.