PDA

View Full Version : Low poly Racing Buggy 1024 texture

samgrice
12-03-2003, 03:25 PM
This thing took me about 35 hours to model, unwrap and texture.

its 6962 tri's and has a 1024x1024 defuse map. these renders have been done in vray, but i can post some more simple renders if anyone wants. Its for my group project im working on at uni, were developing a trailer for a fictonal post-apocalyptic racing game calle Citizen X.

this is only the second game model i have completed to textured level, so be kind. What does everyone think? I would really like crits of both the model and the texture.

thanks

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/images/Buggy01samgrice2003.jpg

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/images/Buggy02samgrice2003.jpg

baaah888
12-03-2003, 05:15 PM
ok looks pretty good, but a few little things i dont like.

The spikes on the front. the blood looks a little crap.

I mean if you slam into someone. blood is gonna spray all over the front. not just the tips of the spikes.

also the spikes really dont look like they're part of the same car, i dont know what it is, but they seem look just stuck on last minute.

I cant really comment on the rest as it looks fine. also we cant see the cockpit area. so a pic would be good.

samgrice
12-03-2003, 05:25 PM
yeah the spikes/blood is something i want to improve apon, more pics comming soon!

JonasNoell
12-03-2003, 06:18 PM
Please pay respect to the original creator by mentioning your inspiration/reference (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/3469/PAV_right2c.jpg) and not claiming the "buggy design" (c) by you!

metal me solid
12-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by cANt
Please pay respect to the original creator by mentioning your inspiration/reference (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/3469/PAV_right2c.jpg) and not claiming the "buggy design" (c) by you!

any idea HOW many buggys there are? these two don't look the same. "sand buggy" is a wide concept, that's like showing a car, there's thousands of diffrent cars, I don't see any big resemblance in this model and the one posted here.

JonasNoell
12-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Just take a look on both of the engines in the front of the car. And I don't say it's absolutely wrong to take some already done things as a general reference but I wouldn't claim it (c) by me and would say where I took the reference from. That's just the kind of respect you would also like to see when somebody is taking your concepts as a (general) reference. Just my 2

metal me solid
12-03-2003, 07:50 PM
that would mean linking thouzands of images as referance, since there are way too many diffrent "sand buggys".. as I said it's just like a car; it's all the same thing they just look a little diffrent, I wouldnt need any referances since I know what a sand bugy looks like in general. it's just something widely known, doesn't need to be inspired by any other images.

JonasNoell
12-03-2003, 08:01 PM
So according to your post this similarity (http://www.josh.ch/phpmywebmin/_uploads/cANt/Engines.jpg) is absolutely randomly? Nuff said to this now, it's just that I would be more happy when people would give their inspirations credits. There is nothing wrong by doing that but there is something wrong by not doing it. Understand me here?

metal me solid
12-03-2003, 08:11 PM
I get your point about the engines, but that is just one part and overall sand buggys are basicly the same, That would be saying, there's not big fuzz about just one part unless it would be a total remake of something, maybe it's inspiration, but that doesn't make the whole model, I do get the point though..

JonasNoell
12-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Well according to the engines it it obvious that he did take a look on the other sand buggy and remodeled parts of it and that is inspiration and that should be mentioned and this is my last post to this ;)

RmachucaA
12-03-2003, 10:21 PM
looking good.

baaah888
12-03-2003, 11:52 PM
erm cANt

Thats a standard air intake thats on most dune buggys.

a role cage is standard on all dune buggys.

What your saying is like me saying, i modeled a human last week anyone who's modelled a human recently has to credit me as they obviously copied me.

I mean what if Sam hasnt seen that model, basically now your insinuating he's copied someone elses designs, when he probably hasnt,

And anyway, most art is influenced by someone else's style. It isnt copying in most cases as the simple fact is there are 1 in 10million origional ideas.

So before you accuse people of not crediting one individual piece of work, think about how the artist may not have seen the other buggy, and therefore the design may just be origional to the artist. Have a little more faith in people, not everyone is out to steal ideas.

h0pesfall
12-04-2003, 12:03 AM
I love it. Especially the tires. But like mentioned before the spikes on the front need a bit of work, and i'd add something between where the bars on the roof connect, like leather to hide the joints or something, or texture some welding marks between them. Also a opengl shot or render without anti aliasing would be cool so we can get a better idea of what it'd look like in-game. I give it two thumbs up nice job man.

Quizboy
12-04-2003, 02:07 AM
i'm pretty sure old boy did see that other buggy, but it's still so different that it doesn't matter one bit. Artists don't have to credit every single reference inspiration they look at unless it becomes an issue of copying someone's work, and this is by far no instance of copying.

KazuyaMochu
12-04-2003, 11:57 AM
I think the overal texture is a bit too rainbow like. It would be cool if you would stick to one range of similar colors and then work around that. Cause right now, you have alot of diferent color variations

other than that, the model is cool, althou there's just alot of information! tubes, engines, spikes, maybe its a little noisie. did you get to see half-life 2's buggie? thy manage to slip stuff under a hood, giving it cleaner design.

still, I dont know what you concept drawings look like, so I'm just giving ideas.

ok, going

Kazuya Mochu

samgrice
12-04-2003, 12:45 PM
@cANt: well, the image below is my original insperation, its a buggy from mad max3, and as you can see the artist who made that other buggy copied that design pretty well. i used many refrences for my insperation, mad max buggys, other buggys from films, vehicles from warhammer 40k, and i looked at several engines. That cg model (which is really good by the way) was one of the last things i saw, i liked that part of the engine (which is in no way unique to that model) and based my part on it. its probably a bit cheeky to of made it the same colour as the other one, but i thought it looked good. but other than that i cant really see any simalaraties between my model and that one, other than generic features to a dirt buggy design (rollcage for example).

i would say that the majority of the model is my own design with a few insperations here and there, but i havent seen anything exactly like it and i based the design on many refrences. i'm no bloody car designer!

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/images/madmax062.jpg

samgrice
12-04-2003, 12:54 PM
Anyway, heres some more renders, 2 unAA pics to show an in-game example. and then theres a cropped, reduced version of my texture. comments?

i think i will tone down the colours a little and change the front.

*EDIT* SEE LATEST RENDERS BELOW!

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/images/buggytexture.jpg

JonasNoell
12-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Ok you guys seem to be right and I might even overreacted a little, sorry for this samgrice! The buggy looks nice even though the textures could use some little optimizing (you mix very dirty and rusty parts with very clear and clean parts). I also quite like your video with the eskimo on your website, I was about laughing my ass off ;)

samgrice
12-04-2003, 02:17 PM
thanks cANt, i know that engine parts the same, but i didnt like being acussed of copying the whole model. anyway, thanks for you comments, the texture does need some optimising and i will get to work on it. i'm pleased you liked mr eskimo, i'm kinda sad i'm not doing work like that naymore, it was alot of fun, if not hard work!

Quizboy
12-04-2003, 03:23 PM
that's big of you cANt for being able to apologize. very big.

RmachucaA
12-04-2003, 11:34 PM
are the wheels floating in mid air? no connection to the buggy?!?!?!

SecretAgent
12-05-2003, 12:25 AM
Hey Sam! Good to see you again. I can tell you've been really busy w/school and it really shows.

This is a great model and an excellent texture for your second attempt, good job! The engine intake and mounted guns look a little clean/simplistic, I would recommend adding some scratches and stuff to them. Other than that, you've done a fine job.

Have you had a chance to see the Humvee I made for RH - I'd be curious to hear what you think (click my "Humvee" link in my sig if you wanna check it)?

By the way, Warhammer 40k rules!!!!

samgrice
12-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Here are my latest updates to the texture:

i've made it a bit darker and less colourful and i've mad the spikes different, i think they fit with the rest of the model better now. there should be a animated gif showing the changes made aswell.

@ RmachucaA: the wheels are connected, although only through suspension, so i'm not sure how it would work!

@Eric22: hi mode7, love the Humvee and Warhammer 40k does rule indeed!

*EDIT* pics removed, latest renders below!!

RmachucaA
12-05-2003, 06:06 PM
sam, sry im so picky, but when the front wheels turn, do they rub with the fenders? specialy if they are compressed....

Overall, i think its a very clean model, not boring, and the texturing is well done.

samgrice
12-08-2003, 01:59 PM
err, ...., no....

(goes away to "refine" model)

NickTheNut
12-08-2003, 06:30 PM
very nice model, i like the touch w/ the bolters on the front (warhammer40k inspired obviously).

The wheels are probably my favorite piece of the whole thing.

/ thumbs up /

CADster
12-08-2003, 08:14 PM
overall it looks great !!!

personally, id make the fenders more narrow so the wheels stick out from under them. maybe make the tread more aggressive (the rear at least)

Supervlieg
12-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Looks great. Are those counts in quads or tris? I think a little optimisation is in order.

I think the blue-ish guns stick out too much. The rest of the model is quite worn, 'cept the guns. They should be worn too!

Same goes for the air intakes and the chair.

samgrice
12-09-2003, 12:35 PM
as i said on the first post its tri's not quads. i'm pretty happy with the count and i dont feel theres much need for optimising (theres shit loads of little details and objects, it just all adds up!)

anyway, more grime comming soon, watch this space!!

samgrice
12-10-2003, 12:47 PM
hey hey!

heres the latest updates to the model/texture. i've made some things darker and more dirty and i've also moved the wheels down and out a it. i've also added spec and bump maps. This is probably the last i'm gonna do to it, as i've got some characters and enviroments to get on with.

enjoy!

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/stuff/buggyChanges2.gif

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/stuff/Buggy03samgrice2003.jpg

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/stuff/Buggy04samgrice2003.jpg

jacobt
12-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Nice work! Looks dangerous and fun... which is what good games are about eh?

The shadows and spec give it a lot more depth... great improvement. Although I think the intake is now looking flatter than before. If you get some time later on in would be nice to see the shadows worked on even more, to really help separate all the different objects.

RmachucaA
12-10-2003, 04:30 PM
good job!

samgrice
12-11-2003, 01:22 PM
thanks guys, i'll have my charcter uploaded soon, so i maight make a compilation thread.

RmachucaA and jacobt: i like the work on your websites, nice!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.