PDA

View Full Version : I miss my LW community :(


PolyMangler
12-03-2003, 01:25 PM
I recently got a job where i have to use (leaving name out to avoid flame war) and just like any newbie i've hit brick walls where i can't find an answer to something. Well i guess i got spoiled to LW's community but when i had something like that happen, i could post and the next day someone would have been kind enough to answer or at least comment on it...sadly i haven't had the same pleasentry at (still not naming names)'s community. I'm begining to think that it doesn't support what i'm asking and nobody wants to say anything cause of that

anyway can't wait for [8]!!!

and I love you guys not in a friendly kinda way but like a twisted Micheal Jackson/Neverland kind of way

:P

Nicodemus
12-03-2003, 01:47 PM
That sucks man.......I have to admit that the lightwave community is quite helpful and when I have had to use other packages I have not found the same level of assistance. Maybe we just don't know where to look.

As for the MJ reference.....I think we are all both touched and 'touched', in the special way that only Micheal can touch us.

~L~

LNT
12-03-2003, 03:12 PM
dont forget that lw6~ introduced many things more or less indigineus to lightwave,some of it other packages have caught up with some of it they still did not

just look at the modeling side of things,despite its dated build lw modeler is still ahead of other packages in terms of completness of its symmetry mode,morph vertex mapping,phantom subd points etc...

or the rendering,remember how long it took them to get GI,hell most of them still cannot open and view HDRI natively but they use their plugin renderers for that,maya has ngon subd support but can render only subd quads with MRay etc...

so just because maya is a slightly more developed package it doesnt mean that it can match lightwave feature by feature :)...
who knows,perhaps no one knows the answer to your question

bottom line is: if others cant do it do it in lightwave http://www.aoikenso.net/ap/cg/biggrin.gif

Nemoid
12-03-2003, 03:30 PM
True :)
Lw community is the best! I am sorry for you.
using another software can be very good, but a little support from the community is what everyone needs sometimes. unfortunately life is hard

I'd prefer to be touched by JANET Jackson she's a woman at least.

grundgedanke
12-03-2003, 04:06 PM
yes, the lw community is great. i´ve never had so much fun before...and i also cant wait for lw8 :-)

roguenroll
12-03-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by PolyMangler

and I love you guys not in a friendly kinda way but like a twisted Micheal Jackson/Neverland kind of way
:P


wheeeew!! thx for clear THAT up:)

too bad you dont get to use LW all the time, you could always be fishing around for a new LW job.

LFGabel
12-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by PolyMangler
sadly i haven't had the same pleasentry at (still not naming names)'s community. I'm begining to think that it doesn't support what i'm asking and nobody wants to say anything cause of that
Or it might be the fact that the feature you are asking about was so damn hard to learn and implement, that no one wants to share the "trade secrets"...

That's what I like about the Lightwave forums... The openness of sharing of knowledge. Sure knowledge is power, but it's not a weapon. It all comes down to how it's used.

mastermesh
12-03-2003, 06:56 PM
reason that I bought Lightwave and stick with it... I came to LW from trueSpace... it's amazing how quick people answer questions on lw boards as compared to ts board over at caligari.com... Over there you might get a reply once every 5 days... On the newtek boards replies usually happen in the hour... At one point in time I was actually kicked off the boards at caligari because I think they thought that I was posting too much ;)

gmask
12-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by PolyMangler
I recently got a job where i have to use (leaving name out to avoid flame war) and just like any newbie i've hit brick walls where i can't find an answer to something. Well i guess i got spoiled to LW's community but when i had something like that happen, i could post and the next day someone would have been kind enough to answer or at least comment on it...sadly i haven't had the same pleasentry at (still not naming names)'s community. I'm begining to think that it doesn't support what i'm asking and nobody wants to say anything cause of that


Uh.. well you've asked a grand total two questions in the MAYA forum the first was answered within a few minutes of being posted by me and I just answered the other question you posted. Sadly as you suspected their is no support for the feature you were asking about.

If a particular program does not support a feature that another does can you really expect the users of the other package to even know what you are talking about.

Sheesh!

Anyway this thread is flamebait.. but I wish you the best with both programs.

LittleFenris
12-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I definitely think that the community and its support and help is a big reason i stay with Lightwave. I have been using Ligthwave since [6], I even played with LW[4] on an Amiga 4000 back in art college like 9 years ago (holy crap I'm old). I can't wait for LW[8] either!! :buttrock:

LittleFenris
12-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by gmask
Uh.. well you've asked a grand total two questions in the MAYA forum the first was answered within a few minutes of being posted by me and I just answered the other question you posted. Sadly as you suspected their is no support for the feature you were asking about.

If a particular program does not support a feature that another does can you really expect the users of the other package to even know what you are talking about.

Sheesh!

Anyway this thread is flamebait.. but I wish you the best with both programs.

With an attitude like that we can see why he is frustrated with the MAYA community. And you mentioning it was Maya was just to insite a flame war. Very professional. :rolleyes: I don't go into the Maya forums, but I bet you don't have Lightwaver's in there with attitudes like this, trying to start flame wars.

gmask
12-03-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by VWTornado
With an attitude like that we can see why he is frustrated with the MAYA community. And you mentioning it was Maya was just to insite a flame war. Very professional. :rolleyes: I don't go into the Maya forums, but I bet you don't have Lightwaver's in there with attitudes like this, trying to start flame wars.

Uh.. we have CIM.. nuff said. We don't have people starting threads in the Maya forum that bash ** or *** or *** or *** users for their methods or timeliness of answering posts like this one is.

LittleFenris
12-03-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by gmask
Uh.. we have CIM.. nuff said. We don't have people starting threads in the Maya forum that bash ** or *** or *** or *** users for their methods or timeliness of answering posts.

CIM isn't the greatest example...basically all he does is bash Lightwave most of the time...I haven't seen too many nice Lightwave posts from him. :shrug: Maybe he likes to bash all the programs. :)

gmask
12-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by VWTornado
CIM isn't the greatest example...all he does is bash Lightwave all day every day...I haven't seen a nice Lightwave post from him EVER. I don't even know why he needs to post about Lightwave, they are all useless posts from what I've seen. :shrug:

That's sort of my point cause.. he manages to do that with **** or has in the past but enough about him.

I'm not criticising the ** community but I don't appreciate it being implied here on CGtalk that any user doesn't share information because there is a huge wealth of tutorials and resources for all the programs represented here.

Based on the comments from the original post **** users are being judged by a newcomer who has asked all of two questions.. hardly a fair accessment of a community.

If he cannot get help in his workplace that is a foreign concept to me.. Back in the day when I was using PA if was not unusual for me to give and receive technical advice to people who were competitors bidding on the same projects. I guess it was because there were so few of us at the time but it was tight nit group of people both on the job and socially.

LittleFenris
12-03-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by gmask
If he cannot get help in his workplace that is a foreign concept to me.. Back in the day when I was using PA if was not unusual for me to give and receive technical advice to people who were competitors bidding on the same projects. I guess it was because there were so few of us at the time but it was tight nit group of people both on the job and socially.

It seems like this area of work is becoming more cut-throat nowadays because its such an off and on business. A lot of Lightwave users I think are people getting into 3D as a hobby or side thing, not there livelyhood. A lot of Maya users are in it to get a job, not just do it as a hobby. As I said, I'm not a Maya forum reader so I can't comment on there helpfullness and I won't.

gmask
12-03-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by VWTornado
It seems like this area of work is becoming more cut-throat nowadays because its such an off and on business. A lot of Lightwave users I think are people getting into 3D as a hobby or side thing, not there livelyhood. A lot of Maya users are in it to get a job, not just do it as a hobby. As I said, I'm not a Maya forum reader so I can't comment on there helpfullness and I won't.

Well I can't argue with the pointaboutthe industry becoming more cuthroat but given that there is certainly plenty of free information available online for users of pretty much any 3d program. There are alot of jobs for Maya users but more so than any other program I have worked with LW users in hybrid projects... then next to that would be MAX... go figure? I guess that explains why I have an interest in LW even though I really don't know how to use it. A good friend of mine uses it ..we share information about any other program we have in common.. like AE.

projectcoil
12-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by gmask
That's sort of my point cause.. he manages to do that with **** or has in the past but enough about him.

I'm not criticising the ** community but I don't appreciate it being implied here on CGtalk that any user doesn't share information because there is a huge wealth of tutorials and resources for all the programs represented here.

Based on the comments from the original post **** users are being judged by a newcomer who has asked all of two questions.. hardly a fair accessment of a community.

If he cannot get help in his workplace that is a foreign concept to me.. Back in the day when I was using PA if was not unusual for me to give and receive technical advice to people who were competitors bidding on the same projects. I guess it was because there were so few of us at the time but it was tight nit group of people both on the job and socially.

I agree with gmask. I don't get how people can ask "How do I paint the Mona Lisa?" and expect an answer.

takkun
12-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by projectcoil
I agree with gmask. I don't get how people can ask "How do I paint the Mona Lisa?" and expect an answer. With paint, a paint brush, and a canvas. :arteest:

projectcoil
12-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by takkun

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I miss my LW communit

With paint, a paint brush, and a canvas. :arteest:


Hey you cannot reply to that. Look you missed a smiley. :(

gmask
12-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by takkun
With paint, a paint brush, and a canvas. :arteest:

LOL.. so true :buttrock:

Nicodemus
12-03-2003, 09:10 PM
I think he was speaking just based on his experience not speaking to the Maya community as a whole. As I said, it may just be that he did not post in a place that will get the most/quickest response.

The fact that he did not mention the program by name speaks to his not wanting to start a flame war. Seems more along the lines of showing some appreciation to the user group he was most familiar with. Jumping into a new program after being very familiar with something else is always daunting.

As for CIM.....he is an equal opportunity basher and seems to do so with the intention of bettering which ever program he is using/talking about. He expresses his opinions and does not apologize for them, that I have seen, which is his right to do....and most times he backs the critcisms up with examples and suggestions on how to make things better. Search for posts by him and I am sure you will see plenty in which he tears Lightwave a new one. This is not to defend him but to show that there is no favoritism (CIM...you glass half empty poster you).

~L~

gmask
12-03-2003, 09:24 PM
>>>I think he was speaking just based on his experience not speaking to the Maya community as a whole. As I said, it may just be that he did not post in a place that will get the most/quickest response.

He posted in the right place and his first post got an immediate response. Usually the first thing I do when I vist the **** forum is try to answer questions with zero responses.

>>>The fact that he did not mention the program by name speaks to his not wanting to start a flame war. Seems more along the lines of showing some appreciation to the user group he was most familiar with.

Yes but then he does go to compare the two communities and putting the other in a dim light ..looking at his post history it was not hard to see which forum he was talking about. The other posts before mine in this thread do go on to specificially mention and bash **** so this thread is not as flame retardent as one might like it to be. :banghead:


Why is it that there are so many WIP threads in this forum instead of being placed in the proper forums? Are other users crits not as valid because they don't use the same software?

takkun
12-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Why is it that there are so many WIP threads in this forum instead of being placed in the proper forums? Are other users crits not as valid because they don't use the same software? It's also prevalent in the Cinema 4D forum. I think the reasons might be, 1) The WIP forums here are CRAZY!!! 2) Maybe it's just me, but I have just the LW forum bookmarked and visit it everyday and only occasionally will I venture out to the other cgtalk forums. 3) A close knit community?

gmask
12-03-2003, 09:58 PM
>>>1) The WIP forums here are CRAZY!!!

How so?

>>>2) Maybe it's just me, but I have just the LW forum bookmarked and visit it everyday and only occasionally will I venture out to the other cgtalk forums.

I have the recent threads search bookmarked.

>>>3) A close knit community?

So are you only interested in art made by other users as the same software you use? As far as critique goes sometimes in a tightknit community you may not get unbiased views of your work.

gruvsyco
12-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by takkun
1) The WIP forums here are CRAZY!!!

I agree, I've pretty much stopped going to the gallery areas here. Only so many roxorz or dumbass comments I can put up with reading in there. I do occasionally look at the stuff that gets plugged though.

For me, it's not so much a matter of thinking LW users opinions are any more valid than anybody elses, but when you see something done with the app you use, you can ask specifics about how it was accomplished.

I will say however, that I have found the other app forums just as helpful for whatever I've looked for. In addition to LW, I've been getting more and more into trying to spread my (poor) modeling skills over to XSI EXP, Maya PLE, the C4D demo and Wings3D. I hit all those forums regularly in addition to the modeling forum. That being said though, I do feel the LW community seems to be a little tighter from my experience but that is probably because I haven't really tried to make too many connections elsewhere.

gmask
12-03-2003, 10:12 PM
>>>I agree, I've pretty much stopped going to the gallery areas here. Only so many roxorz or dumbass comments I can put up with reading in there. I do occasionally look at the stuff that gets plugged though.

Okay I can understand that .. I think it has actually be better lately and those kind of comments are not allowed in the Focused critiques forum or the evocative one.

telamon
12-03-2003, 10:26 PM
I patly disagree with some of you. The WIP forums and the finished gallery are amazing. A lot of people post wonderful artwork.

Hummm, I have to acknowledge that I barely never read the comments after the first post :blush:

jmcalpin
12-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by VWTornado
CIM isn't the greatest example...basically all he does is bash Lightwave most of the time...I haven't seen too many nice Lightwave posts from him. :shrug: Maybe he likes to bash all the programs. :)


LOL, he showed up on the wings3D forum with the same kind of attitude.

I suspect that CIM is looking for the killer app and until he gets it he will pound on every door until some one gets it right. The fact that he is here must mean he sees the most potential of LW reaching that goal. :)

So long as I see CIM it must mean LW is going in the right direction.


This community is the best I've run into. And the User groups are great too.


Jay

private
12-04-2003, 12:48 AM
@gmask...it seems you have taken this thread over and turned it into something the original poster did not want to do, by naming the specific software etc. He/She just wanted to say that he appreciated the people here, and you turn it around. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you here to defend the whole Maya community and increase your post count?

There was a discussion a while ago about many WIPs, and the majority seemed to agree that it's perfectly acceptable and people here seem to welcome the new stuff with open arms. Please, let it rest.

takkun
12-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by telamon
I patly disagree with some of you. The WIP forums and the finished gallery are amazing. A lot of people post wonderful artwork.

Hummm, I have to acknowledge that I barely never read the comments after the first post :blush: Hey, that's what I do too! Every once in a while I blast through the galleries, just looking at the first image posted and move on to the next. Who has the time to read all that? And I didn't mean that the galleries didn't have amazing work, the problem is that they have too much incredible work, that's what I meant by crazy. gmask wrote: So are you only interested in art made by other users as the same software you use? As far as critique goes sometimes in a tightknit community you may not get unbiased views of your work. Also, maybe posting here is like showing your artwork to your friends while posting in the main galleries is more like showing your artwork to the world. Does that analogy make sense?

gmask
12-04-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by private
@gmask...it seems you have taken this thread over and turned it into something the original poster did not want to do, by naming the specific software etc. He/She just wanted to say that he appreciated the people here, and you turn it around. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you here to defend the whole Maya community and increase your post count?


I felt unappreciated for taking the time to answer their questions in the **** forum. Perhaps the other people in this thread that brought up specific software before I did can share the love as well.

I asked my questions and they have been answered.

I am way beyond caring about my post count :p

gmask
12-04-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by takkun
Also, maybe posting here is like showing your artwork to your friends while posting in the main galleries is more like showing your artwork to the world. Does that analogy make sense?


Yes and no.. I review work if I care to regardless of which forum it's in.. there was a thread recently about the idea of reviews from your friends etc.. there were contradicting POV's on it.. I think I would personally rather hear comments from people I didn't know as well as ones I did know. Basically by posting to this website you are showing your work to the world anyway but if you needed LW specific advice then it makes more sense.

It might also make sense to have WIP subforum but that's just an opinion.

Nicodemus
12-04-2003, 04:42 AM
Personally I could care less what program someone uses. I tend to check out some gallery stuff and always check out the stuff that is featured on the front page.

~L~

rock
12-04-2003, 06:47 AM
Let us cool it. Maya community is also great - you should try it. 3DMax community is great. Cinema4D community is great. LW community is the largest and also great - but sometimes overbloated with fanfare.

Since using Maya community for learning and questioning, I think that it's really equivalent to LW community - not by quantity of posts, but quality.

PolyMangler
12-04-2003, 03:22 PM
wow this thread got BIG! lol i thought'd it been buried before anyone responded.

First of I wanted to say to Gmask that i never intended this thread to belittle anything about ***. Also I wrote this thread an entire day before i got any response from you in the thread i started in the *** forum. So please don't take this post as a flamming response to the fact that you did respond. Having someone come right out and tell me that i could not do that , as you and others did, helped me re-stratigiez things.

I think that Maya is a great I really do like it's capabilities and i didn't mean to bash or start a bash on it.

The only point of this thread was to show appriciation for the community and to encoruage it furthur.

i dont' think i said anything unfair about either community cause in truth i've asked complicated to moron questions on here and rarely have i seen a full day go by without someone making some comment... good or bad LW has more people on here willing to discuss things on the forums and i merely wanted to show my appriciation for that fact. I may have gone about it the wrong way (not saying i did but i could have) and if something i said was takin offensive please know that it was not my intention and i apologize for it

Cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.