PDA

View Full Version : What is a Good 3D TV to buy?

DePaint
09-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Hello All,

We have a project coming our way that will be published as Stereo 3D, for viewing on 3D TVs.

To get the 3D effect/look right, we want to buy a 42" or so 3D TV for our office.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand or model of 3D TV that is seriously good in every respect? (image quality, colour/contrast/gamma reproduction, Stereo 3D quality, 3D glasses quality, 2D-to-3D functionality?)

Is there a good website to go to for finding 3D TV reviews? (preferably one whose reviews are objective and can actually be trusted...)

Should we go for a Plasma, LCD, LED or OLED TV? Should the 3D glasses be active or passive type? Does the 3D TV support side-by-side and top-and-bottom frame 3D video formats? Can the TV play 3D footage back from a USB Stick or HardDrive?

So many questions...

Thanks for any help or advice,

DePaint

Srek
09-21-2012, 08:00 AM
I got me a Samsung 7090 series TV (55") LED with microdimming.
It uses shutter glasses and can play back side by side content from any medium in pretty good quality.
Image quality is top, the only thing realy not much good is the inbuild soundsystem and as usual the user interface is not well thought out.
Hope this helps
Björn

DuttyFoot
09-22-2012, 04:16 PM
I second that 55 inch samaung with the shutter glasses. We have one those in our office for the same purpose

DePaint
09-22-2012, 08:57 PM
How good is the 2D-to-3D on the Samsung? Does it work properly?

Byteman3D
09-22-2012, 09:06 PM
LG's passive polarized versions are also a nice alternative. I myself don't like shutter type glasses much. Brightness information is degraded a lot on these and you can't have more people have those battery powered, glasses. LG's use standard movie glasses and you can have as much as you like for a few dollars. They put 7 in the box.

Both active and passive polarized glasses reduce brightness to some degree because of the material, but shutter degrades another is x2 because both eyes are black half of the time.

LG also supports side by side over under plus some other mode I don't care much.

You give side by side in 3840x1080 resolution it just plays back from USB -one eye on odd lines and the other on even lines. Not much artifacts due to this. You can switch eyes by one click.

Largest is always the best in 3D. The larger the screen, the better the 3D capabilities.
Even 55" starts to feel small after viewing 3D content. It is recommended to sit about 2 meters away from the scene. You think of the rest.

May be a 3D projection is even better. Feel free to contact me by mail if you need anything about stereoscopic 3D production.

DePaint
09-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the input, everybody.

In this review, Panasonic's 3D Plasma gets the highest grades:

http://3d-tv-review.toptenreviews.com/

Its active-shutter based though, so maybe its 3D image is dark?

I need to do more research on all this...

Srek
09-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Forget about 2D-3D, it is realy only a gimmick.

DePaint
09-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Is the 2D-to-3D function in these TVs really that bad?

Because they - the top Brands - advertise that aspect quite a bit...

Its a shame if its only good enough to be a gimmick.

Srek
09-24-2012, 07:25 AM
It realy is. You can try it for jokes, but you won't see any movie thorugh with this enabled.
It becomes clear why this is once you realy dive into what rules you have to follow to create decent stereoscopic content. It is much more complex than adding a second camera and offsetting it.

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2012, 07:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.