PDA

View Full Version : MARI: Texture Challenge - Support Thread

Keenly
09-20-2012, 04:25 AM
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/mari/image_hero.jpg
(http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari)
Welcome to the MARI: Texture Challenge 2012 (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari) Support Thread.

Please read the FAQ (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari/faq#jumpto), Terms & Conditions (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari/terms_and_conditions#jumpto) and other posts in this thread before asking a question.

Have fun and good luck.

cyberminator
09-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Hi,
I have a few questions to ask ...

1) Should I pose my character or just use the default pose?

2) Can I use Mamoset Toolbag to render my final image?

3) Do you guys need any compositing files to check as proof?

4) Should I render front, side, back and three quater view for my Final Render incase using default pose?

5) Can I use any other painting tool such as zBrush, Bodypaint with MARI to do the texture?

=) thanks you for your attention.

ChewyPixels
09-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Hello,

Are participants allowed to do any sculpting work over the model using Zbrush or Mudbox to use as displacement and/or normal map detail?

I'm not sure I'll have time to participate but I figured I'd ask just in case I do get the chance. I'm sure there are others who would like to know. :)

Cheers,
Jesus

JustinSchubert
09-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Sorry for the previous question... What I really meant to ask is: Are there individual challange threads for each artist and if so, where does one find those?

Briareos
09-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Chewy and Cyberminator bring up some good points.

Are displacement or normal maps allowed? (generated from outside Mari)
Does the piece need to be 100% Mari generated? (e.g. can we prep preliminary maps and tiling swatches in a 2d package)

CgCarter
09-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Yes these are all great questions!!! Also, can we add hair?

loramel
09-22-2012, 12:00 PM
When I try to mail to mari-challenge@thefoundry.co.uk I always get a Failure message from the delivery system.
I get an automated reply from thefoundry with the following text:

We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (mari-challenge) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

* You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
* The owner of the group may have removed this group.
* You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
* This group may not be open to posting.

If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group, visit the Help Center at http://support.google.com/a/thefoundry.co.uk/bin/topic.py?hl=en_US&topic=25838.

Thanks,

thefoundry.co.uk admins

Am I missing something here ?

oatz
09-22-2012, 08:51 PM
When I try to mail to mari-challenge@thefoundry.co.uk I always get a Failure message from the delivery system.
I get an automated reply from thefoundry with the following text:

We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (mari-challenge) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

* You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
* The owner of the group may have removed this group.
* You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
* This group may not be open to posting.

If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group, visit the Help Center at http://support.google.com/a/thefoundry.co.uk/bin/topic.py?hl=en_US&topic=25838.

Thanks,

thefoundry.co.uk admins

Am I missing something here ?
I get the same error.

speco
09-23-2012, 02:55 PM
cant send an email for extend license ...same prob

PorkpieSamurai
09-24-2012, 04:09 AM
Eagerly waiting to hear a reply to the previous questions. I noticed the mask is quite devoid of shapes and details. Is it ok to make a normal map to add form to this piece?
thanks

Keenly
09-24-2012, 05:04 AM
Great questions everyone, and thanks for letting us know about the email issue. We're just waiting to get some definite answers back from The Foundry team, and will keep you updated.

@JustinSchubert Upload all your Concept Art, Work In progress, and final entry using the big yellow 'upload entries' button (it becomes more obvious after the image is uploaded). 'This Fourm' (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=347) is open for new threads, if you want to make an individual challenge thread, but making a thread will not count towards the challenge, and won't be considered as part of the judging process.

Glover
09-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Hi all, so sorry you seem to be having problems with the mari-challenge e-mail address.

I'll look into this.

In the meantime please e-mail me directly: glover@thefoundry.co.uk

and I will provide your license activation codes.

I'll also come back on your technical questions as soon as possible.

All the best

Tom

Glover
09-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi all,

Thanks all for your questions, I’ve tried to answer them all below – do let us know if you have more!

Many of the questions are around using other tools in conjunction with MARI.

We are looking for the ‘best MARI artist’ so we really want the texturing to be done using MARI!

However, if you wish to pose the model using a sculpting program that’s absolutely fine and we are also quite happy for you to make a normal map to add form to the piece.

If you wish to do any prep work in a 2D package that’s fine too.

A couple more specific questions:

· Can we add hair – absolutely, but remember it’s textures we’re really excited about!

· Should I render front, back and three-quarter view for my final render in-case using the default pose? – This is not a requirement but would be great!

· Do you need compositing files to check as proof – we just encourage you to share your works in progress, and MARI archives would be great.

· Can I use the Mamoset Toolbag to render my final image? – Yes this is fine.

I hope this answers all of your questions.

The e-mail address mari-challenge@thefoundry.co.uk should be working now, but if it doesn’t you can contact me directly at glover@thefoundry.co.uk

All the best

Tom

Briareos
09-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Furthering the displacement topic, it seems like this model was sculpted and possibly re-topologized. If so, perhaps the modeler could supply maps generated from that.

Also, this is a time based challenge, so clarification on these topics ASAP would be beneficial to all participating.

MikeHepburn
09-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Hiya all,

Looks like mari-challenge@thefoundry.co.uk is working again. If problems still persist, email: glover@thefoundry.co.uk

Cheers, Mike

Glover
09-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Furthering the displacement topic, it seems like this model was sculpted and possibly re-topologized. If so, perhaps the modeler could supply maps generated from that.

Also, this is a time based challenge, so clarification on these topics ASAP would be beneficial to all participating.

Hi Briareos, sorry I was not able to come back to you quickly enough today!

I have contacted our modeller and will get back to you as soon as I hear back on your maps request.

All the best

Tom

Briareos
09-25-2012, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the updates, much appreciated!

Glover
09-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Hi Briareos, and all!

We have had a little think and we don't want to prescribe too much detail, in fact we are really excited about letting you all add your own!

So though we won't be providing Jakob's maps, you are more than welcome to make your own!

All the best

Tom

r-allets
09-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Hi,

we are required to email foundry our system id. Where can i find this id?

thanks!
r-allets

PorkpieSamurai
09-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks for info. Is it also ok to add a few simple props and a base to stand on?

PorkpieSamurai
09-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Also one other thing. Is it ok to change some of the face and body proportions?
Like this?
http://porkpiesamurai.com/downloads/comp/test2.jpg
http://i.picasion.com/pic58/d2680eb162f7780d47e901fadd778182.gif

pradaxuan
09-26-2012, 07:40 AM
As long as this is a texture challenge, i think that we should focus on texturing stuff and avoid sculpting or modelling job. The model is already great in my opinion.

My only question is, do we need to render inside Mari or using another 3D package and render engine?
If using Mari, would be better to render in flat mode to judge better the maps?

Thanks.

mzan
09-26-2012, 09:25 AM
As long as this is a texture challenge, i think that we should focus on texturing stuff and avoid sculpting or modelling job. The model is already great in my opinion.

My only question is, do we need to render inside Mari or using another 3D package and render engine?
If using Mari, would be better to render in flat mode to judge better the maps?

Thanks.

You can render in any package you like :) We may ask for a Mari archive to verify stuff if you're shortlisted as a potential winner.

PorkpieSamurai
09-26-2012, 02:08 PM

Well we already have to make our own displacement maps which means doing a bit of sculpting work anyway so I wanted to know if proportional change was an option too.

IdanI
09-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Looks like an awesome challenge.
I do have a couple of questions, are we allowed to modify the UV's on the model? also can we generate a displacement map in zbrush or mudbox to use as base to then further paint the displacement in mari? and finally, do we have any leeway as far as proportion tweaks on the model itself (i.e. tweaks to the face for expression purposes)?

Regards,
Idan

nsb
09-27-2012, 03:38 AM
I've done some expression and proportional changes also, last challenge they were quite flexible on the model changes as long as you understand its all about the texturing and work done inside Mari. Even though this is a fun challenge and all, its also a sort of advertizement for Mari.

Thanks for putting together a great challenge, cant wait to get started texturing this weekend :)

Samtawwww
09-27-2012, 04:54 AM
Hi can i check with you guys the final render image , do we have to render the model in full (the whole body) , or can i render my final image up close instead (maybe just the upper half of the body)

cheers

Duncan

forelle
09-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi,

Feel free to get artistic with the final renders. Remember that we will be looking for overall texture awesomeness. My preference would be a full body shot and then a close up on details you're particularly proud of.

We're happy with 3D geometry tweaks and poses, but they won't factor in our judging. The overall texture work will be what we are looking at.

Hi can i check with you guys the final render image , do we have to render the model in full (the whole body) , or can i render my final image up close instead (maybe just the upper half of the body)

cheers

Duncan

Glover
09-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Hi,

We're happy with 3D geometry tweaks and poses, but they won't factor in our judging. The overall texture work will be what we are looking at.

Hi all, hopefully this from our MARI creator Jack helps to answer all your questions.

By all means add value to the model, but remember the real deal is the texturing!

Thanks - if there is anything specific you still don't feel has been answered let me know!

Tom

PorkpieSamurai
09-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the reply
Looking forward to getting stuck in soon

dboydesign
09-28-2012, 01:42 PM
I have a question related to "You must have permission to distribute the textures you use.".
I believe alot of us have paid for texture packages, or similar like 3d.sk.
What if the original distributers don`t allow us to distribute textures from images or textures we bought?
This make the hole texturing part a little more difficult sine we then need to find similar images that we are allowed to distribute..

Of course alot can be handmade but there always something you can achieve better with when using photography images.

You don`t want to spend two hours to create or find a similar skin texture when you already have paid for a photography of that kind of texture.

Even that I agree that sharing textures is a good idea, I`ll give a vote for optional distribute of textures.

forelle
09-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi,

As I understand it, derivative textures and works, i.e. painted textures using another image as reference are normally fine to distribute. You will need to check with your texture provider if you're worried, but taking a reference image and painting / modifying it as a projection texture should be fair use.

We won't want the original source, just the UV / projection painted version from Mari. This is a work you've created yourself.

That said please don't use any copyright logos or anything like that.

Jack

I have a question related to "You must have permission to distribute the textures you use.".
I believe alot of us have paid for texture packages, or similar like 3d.sk.
What if the original distributers don`t allow us to distribute textures from images or textures we bought?
This make the hole texturing part a little more difficult sine we then need to find similar images that we are allowed to distribute..

Of course alot can be handmade but there always something you can achieve better with when using photography images.

You don`t want to spend two hours to create or find a similar skin texture when you already have paid for a photography of that kind of texture.

Even that I agree that sharing textures is a good idea, I`ll give a vote for optional distribute of textures.

dboydesign
09-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Hi,

As I understand it, derivative textures and works, i.e. painted textures using another image as reference are normally fine to distribute. You will need to check with your texture provider if you're worried, but taking a reference image and painting / modifying it as a projection texture should be fair use.

We won't want the original source, just the UV / projection painted version from Mari. This is a work you've created yourself.

That said please don't use any copyright logos or anything like that.

Jack

Hi,

Thank you for fast reply forelle!
Ah okay, I understand. So only the painted uv map from Mari, I thought It was the used reference image we talked about. Thank you for making it clear!

Daniel

RichardB
10-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Hello Folks

As someone new to Mari and reasonably new to texturing in general, I just wanted to check two basic things

-Is it best practice to take the model.obj supplied into a modeller and separate it into its component pieces (ie, remove the necklace, skulls, etc)

and most importantly

-should I be unwrapping this model? I had thought the idea of Mari was the ease of painting onto the obj, but I see that the head has been unwrapped and people refer to UVMaps, so perhaps I do need to unwrap it after all...

Any guidance from the more experienced?

Thanks

RB.

forelle
10-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Hello Folks

As someone new to Mari and reasonably new to texturing in general, I just wanted to check two basic things

-Is it best practice to take the model.obj supplied into a modeller and separate it into its component pieces (ie, remove the necklace, skulls, etc)

and most importantly

-should I be unwrapping this model? I had thought the idea of Mari was the ease of painting onto the obj, but I see that the head has been unwrapped and people refer to UVMaps, so perhaps I do need to unwrap it after all...

Any guidance from the more experienced?

Thanks

RB.

Hi,

You should be able to import the model as-is into Mari. You shouldn't need to break it up and it already had UVs assigned.

It should be as easy as

New Project->Import Model->Start Painting.

Have fun.

Jack

speco
10-12-2012, 10:50 AM
i wanna delete an image i posted...can i do it ?

speco
10-12-2012, 10:56 AM
can i delete an image i posted. ?

speco
10-12-2012, 02:07 PM
when i upload images it shows the image i have already posted...it doesnt allow me to upload the new WIP

PlastiCine
10-14-2012, 07:47 AM
when i upload images it shows the image i have already posted...it doesnt allow me to upload the new WIP

Hi, yes I am having the same problem as speco, I can't upload a new image to my wip. The upload screen just shows the preview and thumbnail of the image I have previously posted.

MikeHepburn
10-15-2012, 03:36 AM
can i delete an image i posted. ?

Hi, unfortunately you can't. The system, at the moment, does not allow for deletion.

MikeHepburn
10-15-2012, 03:38 AM

Hiya,

We are having a look now. Will get back to you when we've worked out the issue.

Cheers, Mike

MikeHepburn
10-15-2012, 03:51 AM
Hiya,

We are having a look now. Will get back to you when we've worked out the issue.

Cheers, Mike

It should be fixed now :)

DarrenB
10-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Hi,
I'm not sure if I am missing something here, but I cannot upload any Wips.
I select 'Upload Entry', Click 'Select Your File', find the jpg I want to upload and select it.
Then nothing happens - I just see the same box saying 'Pick a File'.
Am I doing something wrong?

PlastiCine
10-15-2012, 10:57 AM
It should be fixed now :)

Thanks Mike! :)

dawestsides
10-18-2012, 05:51 AM
I've tried to register to paintforums.co.uk to get more help but after 3 days my account is still not activated.I've sent an e-mail to Rob but got a delivery failure notice.

Puzzle3d
10-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Just a bit of confusion. Do I upload more images though the "Upload Entry" button on the Main Mari Challenge page ? Or do we append at the bottom of our "Entry Page" ?

MikeHepburn
10-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Hi,
I'm not sure if I am missing something here, but I cannot upload any Wips.
I select 'Upload Entry', Click 'Select Your File', find the jpg I want to upload and select it.
Then nothing happens - I just see the same box saying 'Pick a File'.
Am I doing something wrong?

Heya,

Sounds like a browser issue. Could you please try another browser, if problems persist email info@cgsociety.org

Cheers, Mike

nsb
10-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Hi guys,

I requested the mari trial extension and got my email and activation key. Used the key with the FLU and it said it was installed but the mari launch windows shows that I'm about to expire, only 1 day remains! I tried putting the key into the "activate license or use server" bit but it says the key is already installed.

Is it normal to say only 1 day left and then restart or are you guys getting x number of days extended? I want to email foundry asap if its not normal.

Glover
10-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Hi guys,

I requested the mari trial extension and got my email and activation key. Used the key with the FLU and it said it was installed but the mari launch windows shows that I'm about to expire, only 1 day remains! I tried putting the key into the "activate license or use server" bit but it says the key is already installed.

Is it normal to say only 1 day left and then restart or are you guys getting x number of days extended? I want to email foundry asap if its not normal.

Hi there, it sounds to me like you have 2 licences installed, probably the free 14 day trial and the extended licence. If this is the case, when your 14 day licence expires MARI should automatically switch to the extended licence.

Having said that, if you still have problems just email support@thefoundry.co.uk and they will get you sorted ASAP!

Hope this helps

Best

Tom

nsb
10-30-2012, 01:14 AM
Thanks Tom. I'll wait until tomorrow when Mari expires and see what happens :)

MikeHepburn
11-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Just a bit of confusion. Do I upload more images though the "Upload Entry" button on the Main Mari Challenge page ? Or do we append at the bottom of our "Entry Page" ?

Hi,

Yep, use the main upload button. After you upload your image, you will then have the option to categorize it as a WIP, concept, or final image.

Cheers, Mike

DarrenB
11-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks Mike - just seen your reply so sorry for delay in thanking you - Ryan emailed me with the problem and sorted it.

Can I just ask a question about Mari. Does it save the model and images (in the images section) as part of an archive? I have used my posed model as a second version of the obj with slightly altered UV's, and wondered if Mari just referenced the paths to these or saved a copy.

Cheers
Darren

nsb
11-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Whats the best way to link multi-udim texture models in Maya? Is it just a layered node with add/lighten- pros/cons to this setup? Its starting to get abit screwy with me atm where I'm having to degamma scalar, update textures as working trying while not to break things when adding textures etc... its a real time drainer.

Maybe some of the experience mari guys can chime in here and give us all the best workflow for this :)

negativespace
11-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Are you using the export for Maya script in Mari. It is under the Python tab. It will create a .ma file that you can import into your maya scene that has all your textures hooked up to a layered textured node.
Just make sure that none of your channel names have a dash in it or it will error out.

nsb
11-18-2012, 04:42 AM
Are you using the export for Maya script in Mari. It is under the Python tab. It will create a .ma file that you can import into your maya scene that has all your textures hooked up to a layered textured node.
Just make sure that none of your channel names have a dash in it or it will error out.

Thanks alot for that tip! The option is abit hidden away so I didnt notice that mari had this :)

marque-pierre
11-18-2012, 06:02 PM
I am having a spot of bother with the mesh where the patches meet. Please see this thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=1080563

Anybody else with the same problems?

mzan
11-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks Mike - just seen your reply so sorry for delay in thanking you - Ryan emailed me with the problem and sorted it.

Can I just ask a question about Mari. Does it save the model and images (in the images section) as part of an archive? I have used my posed model as a second version of the obj with slightly altered UV's, and wondered if Mari just referenced the paths to these or saved a copy.

Cheers
Darren

Hi Darren,

Yes the Images in the Image Manager palette are saved as a local copy in the Mari archive.

Cheers,
Mike

DarrenB
11-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks Mike :)

DarrenB
11-19-2012, 08:18 PM
I have created a zipped file of the Maya scene and the Mari archive . Could you tell me how to upload them because I cannot select them in the upload section (it only seems to allow for image and video formats).
Cheers
Darren

MikeHepburn
11-19-2012, 10:49 PM
I have created a zipped file of the Maya scene and the Mari archive . Could you tell me how to upload them because I cannot select them in the upload section (it only seems to allow for image and video formats).
Cheers
Darren

Hi Darren,

You can start a thread here... http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=347 and upload your file.

Cheers, Mike

DarrenB
11-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Mike,
I've started a thread as you suggested, but I cannot get the Maya or Mari Archive files to upload.
Could you please tell me how to do it because I am probably doing something wrong.
Is it possible that they are just too large? If so, how can I get these files to you for judging? I have spent the few hours trying to upload them but nothing happens.
I was also wondering if these files will be accessible to anyone or just the judges?
Cheers
Darren

Keenly
11-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Is it possible that they are just too large? If so, how can I get these files to you for judging? Yes, it sounds like the files will be too large to upload as an attachment. if you want to share files I suggest uploading them to a third party website (e.g. www.4shared.com or www.dropbox.com). You can post the link to the file in the forum as a link or as text in the description of your challenge entry.

note: the files are not a required part of the challenge.

MikeHepburn
11-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Thank you all so much for taking part. There are a lot of high quality images to look through, so judging may take some time. I'll keep you all posted.

Jarad
12-09-2012, 03:52 PM
I've been looking around and I seem to be missing the date for when winners will be announced, does anyone know when that is?

I also have a question regarding the Terms and Conditions.
On the Terms and Conditions page it has listed:

4. Entrants commit to notify Ballistic Media in writing at least one week prior to the publication of their work in any media.

5. Other than the rights assigned in the preceding clauses entrants retain copyright of all entered materials and are free to use said materials for personal promotions.

So is it OK for us to post our images on sites like CGHub, GameArtisans, CGSociety, would that be considered publishing it in media, where we need to contact Ballistic Media first? or would that just be considered using materials for personal promotions since they are our portfolio pages?
Thanks in advance! Also congrats to everyone who finished! The images looked great especially for most people not using the program before, like me, it seems we all learned a lot from the competition.

MikeHepburn
12-09-2012, 11:13 PM
I've been looking around and I seem to be missing the date for when winners will be announced, does anyone know when that is?

I also have a question regarding the Terms and Conditions.
On the Terms and Conditions page it has listed:

4. Entrants commit to notify Ballistic Media in writing at least one week prior to the publication of their work in any media.

5. Other than the rights assigned in the preceding clauses entrants retain copyright of all entered materials and are free to use said materials for personal promotions.

So is it OK for us to post our images on sites like CGHub, GameArtisans, CGSociety, would that be considered publishing it in media, where we need to contact Ballistic Media first? or would that just be considered using materials for personal promotions since they are our portfolio pages?
Thanks in advance! Also congrats to everyone who finished! The images looked great especially for most people not using the program before, like me, it seems we all learned a lot from the competition.

Hi Jarad,

The judges are still judging. I'm hoping to make an announcement soon, but there are some incredibly awesome renders, so I'm standing out of the way and letting the experts argue it out.

Posting on portfolio sites is perfectly fine!

Cheers, Mike

MikeHepburn
12-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Thank you all for participating in what was a fun challenge.

The winners are...

First:
Jarad
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari/entry/Jarad/final_image/10002511

Second:
hanzigabor
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari/entry/hanzigabor/final_image/10002366

Third:
Leeman1979
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari/entry/Leeman1979/final_image/10002508

Honourable mentions:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari/entry/chandro/final_image/10002553