PDA

View Full Version : graphics card suggestion?

ganklin
09-19-2012, 10:01 PM
hello,

I work mainly in 2D using flash and comping in after effects. i currently have a GTX 260, but was wondering if there is anything out there that would significantly boost any 2D performance? i do zero 3D work so that is a non issue for me. Are the Nvidia Quadro lines worth taking a look at? should I stick with what I have?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated!

olson
10-01-2012, 08:47 PM
If you're doing 2D work the graphics card has no impact on the performance. After Effects uses the graphics card for a few things like 3D preview mode but most of the processing is done by the processor and not the graphics card. If you want more performance for that workflow you should consider upgrading the processor (or processor and motherboard).

ganklin
10-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I appreciate it!

imashination
10-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Plus your 260 is still a good card, I wouldnt be in any rush to replace it. In fact compared to the latest cards, if you plan on doing any gfx card rendering, yours is every bit as fast as the new ones.

tswalk
10-02-2012, 02:49 PM
hi,

i would protest to say that the graphics card, can in fact, have significant impact on performance.. especially if you are using any effects or things like Pixel Bender filters (which can be used in PS, After effects, etc...)

(and now flash API with version 11 can take advantage of the GPU)

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/pixelbenderplugin/

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2012, 02:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.