PDA

View Full Version : Create a program to allow me to move around my fully-rendered 3D model?

ConduciveMammal
09-17-2012, 07:32 PM
I want to make a small program where I can use my mouse and/or keyboard to move freely around my fully rendered 3D model and perhaps be able to play around with lighting settings. How would I go about doing that? Are there any tutorials online?
Similar to how this guy (http://www.iryoku.com/separable-sss-released) does it with his SSS demo

ThE_JacO
09-17-2012, 09:10 PM
You've just asked the equivalent of someone walking into an art gallery and asking out aloud "I'd like to paint some impressionistic stuff, how do I do that?" :)

If you have no prior programming knowledge, I suggest you look at Unity 3D as a platform, learning everything you need to write a 3D viewport from scratch would be quite an investment.

ConduciveMammal
09-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Haha yeah, I thought it was a bit "blunt" but couldn't think of how else to put it lol. Thanks a lot for the direction pointing, I'll take a look into it.

ConduciveMammal
09-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Sorry about the double post but do you think it could be done with the CryEngine SDK?

ThE_JacO
09-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Yes, it could, but, and I mean absolutely no offense with this, if you're asking you're probably not up for it skills wise yet :)
Pick up unity and start grinding, it's a phenomenal platform with great reach and a phenomenal user-base and developer when it comes to supporting newcomers and less technical people.

ConduciveMammal
09-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I'll do that, thanks and naw, none taken, I'm just a hobbyist, I've no professional training in any of these programs so any advice is good advice in my eyes.

ThE_JacO
09-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Give it a go. You'll also get some portability and a good, mellow learning curve easing you into things from it.

Since there's so much out there already doing what you're asking for I'm assuming that this is probably a learning project as much or more than anything else, and I believe Unity to be an excellent fit for that.
It'll scale well with you covering more bases as you go for quite some time if you're starting from the bottom dev skills wise.

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2012, 11:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.