PDA

View Full Version : problem with new cd burner

oxyg3n
12-03-2003, 06:54 AM
Hello All,

I am having a very wierd problem on my pc. This weekend I bought myself a liton dvd burner and so did one of my friends who is visiting me.

Well, we plugged both of them into my computer and they both would not work. They would read cd's, play dvd movies and I even got one of them to write to a dvd+rw disk.

But whenever i tried to burn a cd-r with it, it wouldnt work. So, I returned both drives to the store I bought it at < at this time I thought it was wierd that I could get to broken drives >.

I in turn bought a new dvd burner, a sony dru-510a. It is a dual format drive and since it is a sony I was sure that it would work.

Well, I still cant burn cd's or dvds. The drive will play audio cd's and I am sure it would play dvd's if I could install the software for it. YOu see, now I have an additional problem. My new drive wont let me run the install.exe files on any disc I have. Whether it be a dvd or a cd. It will let me browse the contents though.

Today, before I took back this drive to the store I thought I would see what would happen if I installed it into my old computer which is a p3 500 w/ windows2000 and 384 megs of ram. And you wont believe what happend. IT worked just fine.

SO, I thought that maybe there are some corrupt files on my newer computer and today I reinstalled win2000 on it. Well, I was sure this would fix the problem, but it hasnt. I am completely stumped on what could be wrong.

Oh I have also replaced the ide cable that the drive is hooked to and also unattached the other cd drive that I have. All to no avail:(

Any help you could send my way is always appreciated.

My system includes the following:

win 2000 sp4
cpu: amd 2400
ram: 768 megs crucial ram
hd: 80gig seagate hd
video: geforce2 ultra
mb: iwill xp333-r
usb2 card
firewire card
zip750

GregHess
12-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Are you enabling DMA on the new drive? Its usually disabled by default.

How are you setting the Master/Slave/CS settings on the back of the drive?

What program are you using to burn disks? Are you trying different media, or just trying to burn the same disk?

Is windows 2000 completely updated? (All crit updates and packs).

How many devices do you have connected to your IDE buses?

(Aka Zip, HD, CDROM, DVD+RW)

Which devices are on which bus?

Are you connecting the burner to the standard IDE bus, or are you connecting it to the Harddrive only ones? (Some boards have MORE then 2 IDE ports...Roms and Zip's only work on the standard ports).

How much wattage does your power supply output?

What happens if you disconnect ALL IDE devices, except for the Harddrive and burner? (Aka no power to zip or normal rom).

oxyg3n
12-03-2003, 09:53 PM
Hello GregHess

Thanks for taking the time to help me with another problem I really apprecite it. I just cant think of why it would work on my old computer and not my new one.

Are you enabling DMA on the new drive?

I have been trying to figure out where I go to enable dma.
I saw this option once before but cant find it again. Can you tell
me how to enable it?

How are you setting the Master/Slave/CS settings on the back of the drive?

I have the dvd burner set as the master device. There is one cd-r burner aslo on the ide cable and I have it set to slave. When I go to my bios, it also appears to be correct there. It says my dvd burner is the master and the cd-r burner my slave.

What program are you using to burn disks? Are you trying different media, or just trying to burn the same disk?

I am using the software that came with my burner: sonic my dvd and recorder dx. I have also tried nero version 5 and get the same results. I have used a fresh cd-r for every test that I have tried.

Is windows 2000 completely updated?

I have windows completely updated with the updates from microsoft.

How many devices do you have connected to your IDE buses?

I have my seagate hd connected to one bus and it is the only device hooked to it. On my other bus I have my dvd burner and cd burner hooked up. The dvd is set as the master and the cd-r is the slave. I have also tried removing the cd-r so that the burner is the only device on the bus.

My zip is an external drive that uses my add in usb 2 card.

Which devices are on which bus?

I have the hard drive connect to the hd bus and it is the only dirve on that bus. My dvd burner and cd-r share the same bus and I have the dvd set up as the master and the cd-r as the slave. I have alos tried having the dvd burner as the only device on that bus and still dont have positive results. I also tried
using a different ide cable. Still no results:(

How much wattage does your power supply output?

I have a 300 watt antec tru power supply.

What happens if you disconnect ALL IDE devices, except for the Harddrive and burner? (Aka no power to zip or normal rom).

I still dont have any results when I do this. But I havent thought of unplugging my usb devices such as
my wacom and zip, etc...

gmask
12-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Do you get an error message?

What is the error message?

oxyg3n
12-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Hello G mask,

I get the following errors:

http://www.smoothshift.com/images/forums/programerror0.gif

http://www.smoothshift.com/images/forums/programerror01.gif

http://www.smoothshift.com/images/forums/programerror02.gif

Also, I get an error with the same box as above but it is only filled with ??????????????????????????????????.

I found out where to enable dma, but my driver does not have the advanced options listed so that I can enable it. So what options does that leave me. I am using the ali integreted driver 1.07

digevoc
12-04-2003, 08:22 PM
...but have you tried swapping RAM?

I also previously had 0x0000005 application errors occur and couldn't figure out why my drive would work in one of my pc's and not the other. Then I swapped the RAM between them and the drive worked fine, don't know why...but was happy to figure out I had bad RAM. Perhaps the same case applies to your situation, don't know, but thought I'd offer the thought.

Also, for the drive that is set as the Master, be sure that it is at the 'end' of the IDE cable (or last in the series) and not plugged in the middle of the cable.

Good luck.

GregHess
12-05-2003, 12:12 PM
http://www.memtest86.com

Have you tried updating your firmware on the sony drive?

oxyg3n
12-06-2003, 03:05 PM
Hello Greg,

Thanks for you help. I have tried updating my firmware and my drive has the most current version already on it.

Well, I finally broke down last night and called sony's tech support. I wish I would have done it sooner, ie... before I reinstalled windows!!!..., because the solution was very simple.

For some reason my burner doesnt work with dma enabled. I had to turn the setting back to PIO amd BANG it worked right away. The tech guy told me he has seen that happen occasionally.

So, I am very happy now that it works, but now I am curious as to why it worked on my old computer with dma enabled. Oh, I wont fret about it for to long.

I appreciate everyones help.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.