PDA

View Full Version : xbox renderfarm?

Kion
12-03-2003, 05:48 AM
I was wondering if anyone here has tryed to use a xbox with a mod chip as a render farm. I've seen people run windows on it. Just wondering if it is possible to use it to render.

JDex
12-03-2003, 07:09 AM
There's a guy I go to school with who did it... seems to work great, but it took alot for him to get it up and running... it's pretty cool though, he removed all 20 from the cases and mounted them in a single finished wooded cabinet in his basement with a big house fan mounted into the top (intake) and another blowing out the bottom side (exhaust). He mounted a 24 port hub inside and it works. It is really quite slow in comparison to a good farm, but the sheer number of them does speed things up and at $200 per node and linux on them, you can't get a cheaper rf.

s0real
12-03-2003, 12:30 PM
sounds pretty cool...

any chance of posting some pics?

elvis
12-03-2003, 10:23 PM
specs:
http://darkwatcher.psxfanatics.com/console/details/xbox.htm

XBox is a modified mobile PIII-733 with 64MB of ram. i wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy as a render farm node.

sure they're cheap, but it's not worth it in the long run.

Novakog
12-04-2003, 12:27 AM
Ya, think of it this way: 4 Xboxes is AT MOST like one 2.8 GHz machine with 256 Mbs of RAM, which would cost $800 and a maybe a lot of modding to get to work. You can buy a 2.8 GHz 1 Gb RAM machine for, according to this (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106791) thread for $816, and you could remove some components out of that (40 Gb HD, CD rom, etc.) and building it would probably be a little cheaper.

JDex
12-04-2003, 12:46 AM
I agree, it wasn't really a "smart" move joey made, but he got what he wanted and it works for his needs... I think he actually got a discount purchasing them in bulk, so he has around $3200 invested in it... and it probably is just as fast as the 3-4 P4 w/ HT systems he could have bought @ $816 each (number based on the system I specd in the aforementioned thread).

I'll see if he can bring in some pics or take some myself next time I stop by.

MattClary
12-06-2003, 08:29 PM
THIS thread again? :rolleyes:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.