PDA

View Full Version : Question about adding Ram

fistandantilus
12-03-2003, 02:26 AM
Okay this may sound utterly stupid.My desktop has 128mb of DDR PC2100.Now I'm thinking of upgrading this to 512mb.I only have 2 dimm slots and was thinking that I could add 512 in one slot and 256 in another to bring it up to 768.Is this possible,to add 512mb of ram in on and 256mb of ram in the other or will their be a hit in performance?

ambient-whisper
12-03-2003, 02:38 AM
it will work just fine.

fistandantilus
12-03-2003, 04:12 AM
Thanks.Was curious because someone told me not to mix Ram.If I was going to install ram into my slots use 128 and 128.256 and 256 or 512 and 512 but not to ever mix them ie 512 and 256.

sevenfingers
12-03-2003, 04:57 AM
My computer resuses to operate with memory of different sizes... It's extremely annoying.

fistandantilus
12-03-2003, 05:19 AM
Hope that doesn't happen with mine.Have a Dell Dimension 4550.

RusMan
12-03-2003, 05:57 AM
Two different sticks worked fine on my old one, I had a 256 and 64mb in a Compaq 5000:bowdown: .
I have 256mb now and I want to get 512megs too.

AlexPanzer
12-03-2003, 07:16 AM
Get 2Gigs. I ordered 1 gig and thought that it will be enough, but 1 Gig is very slow. Get 2 Gig, invest in the best

gtidhar
12-03-2003, 08:14 AM
How old is your memory?

I know that older ones had to work in pears of the same amount of RAM.

I'm not sure whether this is true to the SDRAM or older technologies.

Jb5k1
12-03-2003, 11:10 AM
OH MY GOD!!! NOT DELL!!!...

I'm utterly saddened. I have a Dell 4300, and my piece 'o sh**e can only be upgraded to 512, so make sure that 512mb isn't your mobo's maximum. Have you ever talked to Dell's tech support???:scream: :rolleyes:

GregHess
12-03-2003, 11:21 AM
fist,

Any chance we could get some system info?

Make of the computer, motherboard, etc.

If its a dell or gateway, give us the service tag, or the designation.

As mentioned some computers are extremely fickle in regards to ram type/size and allocation of chips.

Others will take pretty much anything you throw at them in stride.

Its generally best to "try" and use the same dimm's if possible, as it eliminates possible stability variables.

Its not necessary, but every bit of extra stability helps.

daalex
12-03-2003, 12:04 PM
don't know if this still applies, but it used to be advisable to put the biggest RAM stick in the primary RAM slot. i.e. the 512 MB stick in the primary RAM slot. Should be better for performance, or so someone told me a year or two ago.

By the way, I've got a Dell 4550 running 768 MB ram like that and it works perfectly. Fast, stable. Me happy.

fistandantilus
12-03-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm utterly saddened. I have a Dell 4300, and my piece 'o sh**e can only be upgraded to 512, so make sure that 512mb isn't your mobo's maximum. Have you ever talked to Dell's tech support???

My Dell is upgradable to a GIG of Ram,I know not much but was on a tight budget when I got my PC.I also mainly bought my PC for learning to back up my DVD's.Now a year latter I'm getting into 3d.My budget is tight so I might just go up to the full GIG of Ram.

A funny storu about Dell's Tech support.This is regarding my Inspiron 5100(Laptop).Yeah I'm a Dell nut and actually think i'm one of few people who actually like them.Well I noticed my battery for the laptop was on the fritz.So I unplugged it from the laptop and kept unplugging and plugging it in to the outlet(electrical).I noticed the part that goes into the laptop,luckily I didn't have it in at the time,started to smoke.So somehow it was catching fire.LOL.Well I called Dell at 12 midnight,told them what happened and since I have a full 4 year warranty they sent me a new battery.That was on a Wednesday at about 12:05 in the morn that I talked to them.I recieved my battery Friday(2 days later) at 9:00A.M...So needless to say I am pretty happy with Dells speedy survice.On another note.My friend bought a Sony Vaio from futureshop(I told him not to big mistake to buy from their).Well he accidently spilled pop on it,not much but enough.He called futureshop to see if they could do anything.They basically said "Tough luck.Call Sony".So he called Sony and they wanted $400 Canadian just to even look at the thing.Now being only 3 months old and having a 1 yr warranty I would have freaked.So he ended up selling it and buying the New Dell Laptop,which btw Kicks ass.Anyways I know on Dell's full coverage,you can actually download pdf copy I think.They actually cover the laptop due to Spills,Extreme Temperatures,Falls etc.So I'm think when my laptop is 3 years old I'm gonna cover all the vents and run mad programs and once it fry's send it back to Dell and hopefully get it replaced.LOL.Joking of course.I have read on their forums that someone had a 3 yr old laptop,with 4 yr warranty,and Dell couldn't fix it.So they actually sent them a brand new on worth what they paid for theirs at the time.

gimpgutter
12-03-2003, 07:22 PM
i have the dell 4500 and i ahve 128 in one slot and 512 in the other...no probs whatsoever. but if i were u i would get 512 in both, cuz ram is so friggin cheap now and u can never have enough.

Jb5k1
12-05-2003, 11:20 AM
OMG, I hate Dell's tech support. I needed a new mobo (my sound wasn't workiing (onboard) and some pci slots were goofy) and they were like, we have to run diagnostic tests, and all the phone people are in the middle east, so their accents are very hard to understand. I ran the tests and nothing was wrong, but I kno when my mobo is f'd up, and they never sent me one, which is why I'm building a new comp. Then I had to spend the money I was saving for the new comp on the cheapest SBLive! card I could find (it's so badass tho).

o yea

I HATE DELL

GregHess
12-05-2003, 11:51 AM
Dell is really hit or miss.

Usually its miss.

But everyonce in awhile you'll actually call and get someone who...

1) Knows what their doing.
2) Is new and unspoiled.
3) Actually cares.

I'd say you have about a 1 in 100 chance of that happening.

But normally you get someone reading from their little booklet, who doesn't know computers period.

In that case, just ask to go to tier 2 tech.
Explain that you've already been through tier 1 a few times, and they told you to ask for tier 2 immediately.

Jb5k1
12-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Tier 2 eh?

Yea well I usually ask for the manager, and their all, "I'll transfer you" and I'm like "NO! I've done this 3 times already, give me my damn mobo bitch" and their like, I need to transfer you and they transfer me.

t-man152
12-07-2003, 12:42 AM
im running 512 and 256 mb both pc 2100. thats what they mean by no mixing memory it has to be the same type such as pc2100 with pc2100 not a configuration like pc2100 with pc 2700 that would be bad. also for what its worth you should get to 512 bars of ram you will get so much more speed and since you can get 512 pc2100 for under 30 bucks you would get more bang for the buck by getting 2.

I did but the stupid store owner gave me a burnt ram bar and when I noticed I was home. tried to go back the next day but the guy said I had burnt it and wanted to make him pay for my mistake.

t-man152
12-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Jb5k1

o yea

I HATE DELL

join the club buddy

Jb5k1
12-07-2003, 12:59 AM
:applause: :applause:

so glad i'm not the only one:bowdown: :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.