PDA

View Full Version : SMC 17 Picnic/Garden 09-15-2012 to 09-22-2012

jburford
09-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Ok, time to get moving.

This weeks Theme is anything to do with a Garden or Picnic.

Garden Objects
Benches, Bushes, Apple Tree, Chairs, Lounge Chair, Bird House, or other items.

Picnic Items
Grill, Smoker, Picnic Table, Benches, Picnic Blanket with Basket and Food Items

Time. Keep all work for simple items (your call) to 30 minutes. More complex or full scenes Between 1-2 hours.

Sundaynights
09-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Thank you jburford for hosting this weeks SMC! I like the picnic idea very much - had something big in mind to model but then considered skill and time and thought I should really concentrate on few things like the basket with some bread and stuff in and around it.
But these things will definitely work good with a bigger scene setting for animation!

DaezD
09-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah, nice idea jb. some good items in there :)

looks like I'm kicking this week off

Garden Bench - 35(ish) minutes
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h174/DaezD/cg/Speed%20Modelling/bench_zpscc3aece7.jpg

DaezD
09-19-2012, 01:21 PM
aaaand another one.

Birdhouse - 45mins. not very happy with this one. Should try and remind myself that not everything needs to be sub-d :argh:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h174/DaezD/cg/Speed%20Modelling/birdhouse_zps13d0afc6.jpg

Sundaynights
09-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Hey DaezD,

you did a good job!

I like the bench but I like even more your birdhouse because it is not too realisic and would fit perfectly into a comical shot! Do you only count time when actual modelling or also searching for reference?

mrdcrestview
09-19-2012, 07:10 PM
A few more interesting models for the speed modeling challenge from Crestview students. Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. The students focused a bit more on the modeling end of the challenge.

http://ed.edim.co/2703455/birdhouse4.jpg?Expires=1348085247&Signature=d9IQ6kni1ZDtNljisQerAN~7AzG~CFdPIce-iCZ2k1icy8xisN50D3yDi4I8nxSf4yX6tCVacR-TYrwPzeuu8mTajvmPkec~iAqmBdjsaUYfkatL5XtQYm3CSMgSpPi-4ih2bTpb9WgEJeV48h9iYAWHzBL5OrVY2XK1WN0xN3Y_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAI3N2VAFIZ34RBHFA

http://ed.edim.co/2703455/picnic_table.jpg?Expires=1348085247&Signature=QglxF0dGskzdjAf1zt8iCcCIfU5t-J~xiYFbKYuqrZS35ZHkAFzc8dXTUBqgqbBdCvfNgRIT0dfrR0LrKLObzedC459GoGi5ifg35eQn24Qr2z6N~eUYw-Jf12NbNw0kXIg3Wciw1qQKfL6VtbV~azAJTGndhOPJMoUGVN-qLeE_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAI3N2VAFIZ34RBHFA

Each model was constructed in about 10 minutes.

Jeff Davidson
Crestview High School

Sundaynights
09-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Hi mrdcrestview,

the hole of the birdhouse is somehow disruptive - like he used boolean or something. and it also whould do good with some thickness to it. But as I suppose that they really ended after 10 mins - he had that in mind to add. So no other complains to that one. And I like the different shapes of the roof tiles.

the second one could do better with using bevel on the edges - instead of adding textures. These hard edges seem much CG-like, in reality there are no such hard edges. (The first one is the same in that point but as it is made of more parts i think the time just wasn't enough to add those) I am also not sure if the bench has a good scale - if someone could really sit on that and enjoy a picnic. If you can please place the references in one corner of the picture so we can judge better.
Some wires would also help.

DaezD
09-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Hey DaezD,

you did a good job!

I like the bench but I like even more your birdhouse because it is not too realisic and would fit perfectly into a comical shot! Do you only count time when actual modelling or also searching for reference?

Thanks Sundaynights. Yeah, the edge loops on that birdhouse are a little off. If I stuck the whole thing on a slant, it might look even more comical!

I don't usually count reference searching as part of it, i need all the time I can get, haha. I also do a little planning before hand too, like some rough measurements and overall dimensions/shapes. it all helps to get a better idea in my head of what i'm about to do.

I'll post up some wires in a bit of some of the details. I think if I'd done plain box modeling on that birdhouse i could've acheived more, oh well :)

DaezD
09-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Here are some quick and dirty wires

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h174/DaezD/cg/Speed%20Modelling/wires_zpsa279f421.jpg

jburford
09-20-2012, 09:18 PM
DaezD really like your work especially your bench. Simple Forms, elegant shape as a whole, and well executed. Only thought was could have been a touch longer/wider. But nice.

litzman
09-21-2012, 12:22 AM
To everyone on the speed modeling forum,
I'm Joe, Mrdcrestview's student who posts the models. I'll probably be the one posting my models from now on, so I thought i would let everyone know. I know you're not supposed to bog down the threads with random comments, but i actually wanted to say a few things.
I really appreciate the feedback on my models. Any advice that anyone can give me would be absolutely amazing. I'm just kinda starting off in animation so i hope to get better.
Oh and Daezd, i love your birdhouse!

DaezD
09-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks jb :)

Sundaynights
09-21-2012, 06:11 PM
To everyone on the speed modeling forum,
I'm Joe, Mrdcrestview's student who posts the models. I'll probably be the one posting my models from now on, so I thought i would let everyone know. I know you're not supposed to bog down the threads with random comments, but i actually wanted to say a few things.
I really appreciate the feedback on my models. Any advice that anyone can give me would be absolutely amazing. I'm just kinda starting off in animation so i hope to get better.
Oh and Daezd, i love your birdhouse!

@litzman
good to have you here, welcome! Looking forward to see more of your works and I hope we can help you to improve - I am myself still learning.

@all
does someone want to host the next SMC? If not I'll do it.

and I am sorry that I didn't found the time to do even one of the models this week - but I really liked the theme and wished the day would have more hours!

jburford
09-21-2012, 08:47 PM
I am in the same boat this week, and I set the theme. Arrghh.... Might still try to get something modelled.

DaezD
09-22-2012, 07:16 AM
I'll have a go at hosting if you like? It would probably start tomorrow though, if that's ok..bit busy this morning/afternoon

I've got an idea or two ;)

Sundaynights
09-22-2012, 07:38 AM
I'll have a go at hosting if you like? It would probably start tomorrow though, if that's ok..bit busy this morning/afternoon

I've got an idea or two ;)

ah, I am so sorry! I just put it up! So you can do the next one from the 29.! Is that ok with you?

DaezD
09-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Hehe, no problem at all Monica :cool:

Max

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2012, 12:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.