PDA

View Full Version : Raffles Institute of Arts Singapore (Branch)

RepulSeer
09-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi guys, first of all, i'm new here and i'm 19.
I have been home studying 3D software (maya, Max) and i have an interest in
3D modelling and still images. Now, down to the question.

Is Raffles Institute a known institute?
Is Game Design a good course? (should i go for graphic or Multimedia instead?)

ps. If there are any sites which you guys know posts thorough tutorial please post to me.
Thanks in advance.

Nasok
09-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Inwhat country are you planing to attend it ? 'cause you can find Raffles in Singapore, Australia, India just to name a few ..

I used to be a design lecturer there, for a short period of time, but still :)

Cheers.

SandeepMaithani
09-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Raffels is not known for what you intend to do..
check out cgprotege.com in singapore..
cheers

luispages
09-21-2012, 08:21 PM
http://www.lasjedi.com

RepulSeer
09-22-2012, 01:03 AM
@nasok - Singapore
@Sandeep & luis - thanks, i'l look into it.

Nasok
09-25-2012, 11:48 AM
okay, there is Raffles Design institute in Singapore .. but ..in my opinion it is more overall design etiquette and culture learning rather than hardcore modeling and rendering.

So, yeah, if you want to just model and render .. and you, basically, don't need the other part of "art culture" it's better to take something else. RDI - is not oriented on 3D modeling (there are some courses and modules) but more on overall design industry. Like art-direction, story telling, concept art, art research, writing design proposals and drawing storyboards .. and etc .. so .. if you already know all this or find it not that useful - it's better to jump on "modeling courses" or as other people said to straight CG oriented places.

Cheers.

chien
09-27-2012, 01:12 PM
hello johorian ^^, have you heard of Nanyang or Temasik Polytechnic? since you are interested at studying modeling course in SG, i heard those place have cg course

RepulSeer
09-27-2012, 01:22 PM
yeah i have heard of it and i do think that Nasok has a few points.
But for now. I am 19 and still being pushed to further my studies by my parents.
I know i can home study this but Chinese parents in particular wants their children to have certs.
So far nanyang and temasik do have design courses but is it known if i decided to fly over to america to work?
And even if i go for raffles and they teach us partial 3D, but i will still push on to study it myself in the end of the day.

chien
10-01-2012, 11:19 PM
yeah i can understand how you feel about the chinese parents and certs thing, i managed to convince my family tat this field is not academics

hm from neutral poitn of view if you ask whether those college are familar in US, i dun think so, only theose popular college or school at US are popular there, unless any of the local college in SG have study link option to further at US then it's only way to be known there.

but you can ask yurself this, are you interested to work at US in future? if you are you can try also research about companies there that you can have interest at future

ypus tats rite, even if you go raffles and you can also still either stdy by yurself or can still take classes and still do some self research

Nasok
10-02-2012, 08:16 AM
.. actually Raffles is quite popular place mainly for international students. Beside that, if you'll take Masters or Bachelor programs - your degree will be granted by Australian ministry of something .. and that Australian stuff is known in industry. I can't say that it is known in CG or 3D modeling .. but Fashion Design and Graphic design - yep - they are known and ..quite respected :)

however .. if you want to go global .. for some reason .. I would suggest you to check out NUS :) it's degrees and diplomas recognized by US and UK :) and it is also the biggest university in Singapore :) so - I would start there if I were on your place :)

As for me, I think you can active in singapore much ore than in other countries .. however it is up to one's spirit.

Cheers.

RepulSeer
10-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks you guys. Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
10-04-2012, 02:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.