PDA

View Full Version : My Puggle Bra

dark_lotus
01-21-2002, 07:09 AM
Well, what in the blue hell is a puggle bra you ask? Well Hes the star of "The adventures of Puggle Bra".

Well I'm too stupid to work out how to put images here, so I'll just give you the link to copy and paste too.

Oh and btw this is my FIRST EVER CHARACTER!! Well I think hes cool. But you know...

http://www.groovystudios.com/images/pug.jpg

Ha! and now i will take the liberty of advertising my site - well, i shouldn't considering the best lightwave stuff I've managed up until now is lathing. Oh well, I have my final year of school (yep high school) to work on my Lightweaving.
its www.groovystudios.com

Anyways.
Comments, Suggestions, and REALLY bad/silly jokes are all welcome!!

Rob

FrageNSTEIN
01-21-2002, 07:15 AM
If you can't use LW, then try MAX. I'm new, and personally I find MAX more logically setup (menus and stuff), and usually it seems capable of things. You should get Meshtools if you use max (mtools is free).

D

dark_lotus
01-21-2002, 07:45 AM
Max - Yuk!!

Its not that I can't use lightwave, i did a short course in it. Lightwave is hard to pick up, but is simply a superior package, When modelling it feels like sculpting digital clay, as opposed to 3DSMax which feels more archetectural, I've used both packages and seen what both are capable of and I think that Lightwave produces better results.

And lightwave can do photorealism better. Sorry Max fans.

See www.lightwave3d.com if ya don't believe me.

lildragon
01-21-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by dark_lotus

And lightwave can do photorealism better. Sorry Max fans.

just to clarify, ANY package can produce great results, it's very dependant on whose driving...... no 3D package no matter how great it is, can make you a better artist, if you had Leonardo da Vinci brush, you think you could create artwork like him? just food for thought ;)

Koma
01-21-2002, 09:31 AM
bravo lildragon for the specification

the artist have the power not the software

dark_lotus
01-21-2002, 10:04 AM
hmm lildragon seems to have missed my point, I am not saying that using Lightwave will make you a better artist, I am saying that Lightwave is superior in the respect that it can produce more photorealistic results, which is a quality that SOME people look for when purchasing a software package (like me).

Although If anyone has grown a brain by the end of these messages they'll have realised that this has nothing to do with photorealism and the (somewhat less than photorealistic) image of mine is here for the public to view.

I prefer Lightwave to Max. Its as simple as that.

If you want to argue continue reading.

Ok, I'm not here selling Lightwave ok? Lightwave was impossible for me to pick up (all those who have seen my gallery will understand) I had to do a 24 Hour course in it. And this is what I can produce.

Even though I had already got a fairly good grasp of 3DSMAX Images created by people like Ryan Bliss (www.digitalblasphemy.com) and the Lightwave Gallery (www.lightwave3D.com) inspired me to stop Max and go with Lightwave.

I chose that simply because Lightwave is used in alot on Television (especially in Australia) and Films, as well as games,

It seems that Max's market lies in the video-game industry. Which as you can probably guess is non-existant here.

Now this is My first ever completed character! It took me about 7 hours in total. (most of that was pulling and tweaking) IK is a nightmare.

YES LIGHTWAVE IS HARD TO USE BUT THE RESULTS, I THINK ARE WORTH IT.

Now please I beg you, If you want to debate this MAX/LW feel free to email me: robert@groovystudios.com

but keep this message board for Puggle OK?

Robert

lildragon
01-21-2002, 10:47 AM
who's arguing? :) you stated that LW is superior,

Lightwave is hard to pick up, but is simply a superior package,

and all I said is it doesn't matter which package you use, it's all dependant on the end user ;) Any package can produce the quality you're referring to, it's just a matter of understanding it... no agrument there, just facts bud...

take care

epatnor
01-21-2002, 11:10 AM
Hmmm and where does the brazil renderer for max fit in here, for example? There's lots of ways to render your hard work ;)

Splutterfish: Brazil gallery (http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/sf_gen_page.php3?page=page0)

Relax Rob, I've seen too many shootouts like this over operating systems, hardware platforms and, for example, graphics packages. What lildragon was saying is just that true art is in the artist. And if the tools that the artist uses work very well for her/him, then that's the software for them! I guess that you've been surfing the web now for a whlie like the rest of us, and there's millions :rolleyes: of pieces of incredible, subtle, funny, accurate and gorgeous images. But I bet that if the subtitles didn't show you what software were used - you nor I would be able to tell!

As for production companies, I gues that they use propriertary renderers anyway, at least never something right of the box!

Well, I hate to bust up your thread with an argument like this, but since you were very keen on sharing you're thoughts on the subject, so was I. People in communities like this should definetly put their efforts in their designs, not in debates on something that is up to each individual anyway! :)

BTW Rob, nice character! For your first, he's all right! I'm a little fond of cartoon-like characters, so... Go Puggle! :p

dark_lotus
01-21-2002, 11:22 AM
Oh just take me out and shoot me already.

Array
01-21-2002, 05:12 PM
If you believe that any particular software will empower you and facilitate the creation of better images, then you are just deluding yourself. The fact that you needed to take a class in order to just NAVIGATE the lightwave interface doesnt speak well in terms of it being the right package for you either.

FrageNSTEIN
01-21-2002, 05:32 PM
I didn't mean to argue, but that obviously isn't a photorealistic model, so I was simply stating that MAX could probably create results equal to that, and so I suggested to use which ever was easiest. I didn't mean LW was worse or better.

D

SheepFactory
01-21-2002, 06:42 PM
final render baby ...final render. I am still bugging cebas everyday to port that plugin to maya , one day they'll listen ;)

lightwave has a awesome renderer too , but it doesnt have "make my model great looking" button yet , maybe in the next version. And from what i have seen you are not using the full capabilities of yo renderer yet anyway. First learn than critique other software ;)

happy (gi)rendering

A|i

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.