PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush crashed my hardrive.

Tamagoo
09-12-2012, 04:34 AM
So I was rendering an image after a long idle time, I look away and when I get back my PC wont launch anymore. I tried everything from trying to restore to earlier point to even tampering inside the BIOs. Nothing I do boots my Windows, it completely freezes on "starting Windows." Used original Windows CD to try and fix the boot but to no avail.

I am sure I have to call the manufacturer and such, but I will have to do it tomorrow. While I wait I thought I might ask, chances are something similar has happened to someone.

Necessary specs:

Windows 7 Home Edition
Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black: WD5002AALX
16gigs of Mem, cossairs 1600mghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3

Get a typical code IRQL-Not-Less-or-Equal - STOP: 0:0000000A

If you got any ideas how to restore the drive, or at least a way to restore the data I would appreciate it very much.

tswalk
09-12-2012, 07:34 AM
see if you are able to boot into safe mode.

... " press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you'll need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer. "

----

also, if you changed any settings in the BIOS, set them back (sounds like you shouldn't be messing around in there).

----

if you are able to boot windows into safe mode. check the event viewer, filter for the error to see if you can retrive the rest of the error message (is also provided in BSOD), and should look more like: Stop: 0x0000000A (00000063, 0000001c, 00000000, parameter4) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

those four values after 0x0000000A are important and can help lead you to the exact issue.. but usually the 0x0000..0A errors is not very cool and probably a hardware problem, or corrupt driver (if lucky).

Tamagoo
09-12-2012, 07:57 AM
No, same issue trying to enter into safe mode. Reset Bios as was recommended in another forum also to no avail. Tried any possible boot option just to get stuck at the "windows is starting" screen.

Stop: 0x0000000A (0xFFFFFA803BF681A8, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000001, 0xFFFFF8000C0BA881)

My best guess is that the drive got corrupted when rendering. Going to try and take it out and plug it into my other PC.

Srek
09-12-2012, 10:49 AM
For me that kind of BOD always turned out to be defective hardware, most of the time defective RAM. Chances are your harddisk isn't damaged at all. Better not try to repair or boot from that drive until you have the main problem with the system nailed down.
Maybe try Memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/ to check for defective RAM

olson
09-12-2012, 05:44 PM
For me that kind of BOD always turned out to be defective hardware, most of the time defective RAM. Chances are your harddisk isn't damaged at all. Better not try to repair or boot from that drive until you have the main problem with the system nailed down.

Absolutely. ZBrush had nothing to do with it. :thumbsup:

Tamagoo
09-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Hmm, alright. I will try to nail it down. Thx.

Tamagoo
09-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Well seems you were right, running memtest now and it is brutal. 93% complete, only 2% pass.

So to fix my boot issue do I just replace my mem sticks ?

olson
09-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Well seems you were right, running memtest now and it is brutal. 93% complete, only 2% pass.

So to fix my boot issue do I just replace my mem sticks ?

It might be something simple like improper configuration. For example some memory runs at 1.65 volts instead of the typical 1.5 volts found on most DDR3 memory. Insufficient voltage can definitely cause memory to fail tests and become unstable. That might not be the case here but worth looking into before sending back or buying new hardware. How long have you had the machine, did you build it yourself or purchase a system?

Tamagoo
09-12-2012, 07:38 PM
It is bought from Maingear, had it about a full year almost. Never really had a problem with it, nor did I see any gradual decay in progress. Was a sudden crash.

Still continuing on with mem test. Test #4 over 260k errors found. Gotta head to class will leave it on for few more hours to run.

olson
09-12-2012, 08:34 PM
It is bought from Maingear, had it about a full year almost. Never really had a problem with it, nor did I see any gradual decay in progress. Was a sudden crash.

Still continuing on with mem test. Test #4 over 260k errors found. Gotta head to class will leave it on for few more hours to run.

If the memory has been functional for a year and suddenly is having issues my guess is the memory is not the root of the issue (despite the memory test failure). More likely is a failing motherboard or power supply. Memory very rarely just goes bad out of the blue, I won't save never but certainly rarely. Components like motherboards and power supplies have parts that are more likely to fail with use (like capacitors and voltage regulators).

olson
09-12-2012, 08:46 PM
One more thought, if the system is almost a year old it probably still has a warranty. If a piece of hardware has failed the warranty should cover it.

Tamagoo
09-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Yah it still does, trying to pin point the problem before I contact them later today. Thank you for all the support.

Tamagoo
09-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Yah it still does, trying to pin point the problem before I contact them later today. Thank you for all the support.

EDIT:

Well I contacted them, after good sir Ivan lent me a hand we pinpointed the problem to being the mem sticks. A few changes in the BIOS and removing faulty mem sticks the problem was fixed.

Now I can stop sweating about losing all of my unsaved Data.:P time to go back it up.

Thank you for all of the support guys, you truly made it easier. Especially the memtest which allowed the pinpointing to happen.

Srek
09-13-2012, 07:19 AM
:thumbsup: I'm gald it worked out

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2012, 07:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.