PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS Vs 7.x

eevilmouse
12-02-2003, 10:02 PM
Hello, New to CGtalk, Like what I see. I have a question, I just purchased Photoshop 7 (just purchased being about 6 months ago), after Using Photoshop 5.5 for Many years, and I love the upgrades. However I now see that they have Upgraded to version CS. Now I have PS 7, and Illustrator 10, and I was curious if any of the upgrades are worth the cost. I never upgraded to 6.0 because I didn't find Most the upgrades worth it (don't get me wrong they were cool, just not cool enough).

Ideas and Comments from those that have used it?

-Eevilmouse

opus13
12-03-2003, 04:29 AM
nah, nothing that you will really miss i dont think. ive demo'd both, and they just seem like a point release, that was call a full version so that adobe could charge users for product activation.

maybe i am just cynical, but the entire suite just didnt seem like there was much to holler about.... except the microsftish activation scheme.

halo
12-03-2003, 09:20 AM
read the new features on adobes site and decide for yourself....theres a lot of improvements aimed at professional users so although theres not much that screams " im a new feature " there are quite a few things that will speed up workflows or improve them. AFAIK, adobe dont do point releases anymore.

Oh and just fyi you can upgrade any version to the latest for the same price. I just upgraded my v3 or PS which i found in a bundle in the cupboard during a clear up...

eevilmouse
12-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Yea I read the new features on Adobes site, and Frankly nothing Jumped out and said "I AM WORTH $200!!!" frankly you will have to speed up my workflow alot for me to fork out that ammount. However, that being said, sometimes fellow users of the programs will say "this new feature is well worth it because..." and theirby makeing it worth while. If not wont buy it, I was just curious if anyone had used both, and thought one way or another.

-Eevilmouse

dg
12-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Well I see many people saying that nothing worths in PS CS, but I can't agree with that.
Photoshop CS brings built in support for Java Scripts, many improvements in the color correction tools, layer support for 16 bit files, support for cineon and dpx files, built in Camera RAW support, now you can nest layer sets, layer comps, pre made scripts like the usefull layers to files, lens blur (like Lens Care) which is great, text on path, now you can pan the corner of a image to the center of the screen in full screen mode, better support for large images in the liquify, you don't have to save meshes from proxy images to apply the distorsions in a bigger image, support for non square images, including the creation of non square images essential for video people, match color that allows you to match color between different images wich is awesome to mantein consistence, amongst others.

If you work with massive photo retouch, color correction and composition, with video or film or with digital photography I would risk to say that it worths.

Many people think that good upgrades are made by new type of embosses, eye candy plugins or magic little buttons that make all the work for you, but what this upgrade brings is more sutil, improvements for people who depends on sutil aspects of a software like photographers, colorists, video and film people.

Try to contact Adobe and see if they can provide you a trial version or something.

Cheers,
dg

eevilmouse
12-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Yea I am aware of that, I personally do not use the filters all that much, as they never really give me the effect I need. Frankly I could almost care less if Adobe added more filters. What I would like to see is some of the stuff they have done with CS, with Layer compositing, and the Text on a Path. Unfortunatly I cannot find a Demo on Adobes website, and Text on path is nice, but if I am doing somthing Text heavy, I will do it in Illustrator or Pagemaker. So thats Why I would say its not worth the 169. Not haveing Tried out the Multilayer compositing (wich does look cool, as I do have to make mutiple versions of things) again is somthing I can see myself useing. other things could interupt the work flow, if for instance they Change the way the History worked to much, and made you have to relearn it. Basically I wanted the opinion of people who have used it what they think in comparison. Do they feel it is worth it.

Lastly if you know of a place I can get an autherized Demo, Please let me know. I would LOVE to try it out for myself :)

-Eevilmouse

dg
12-06-2003, 06:32 PM
I'm using it at my work, so I'm not aware of trial versions, and history remains working in the same way, at least at a first glance, but as said if you don't work with video, film or needs a support for raw (nikon, canon, fuji, etc...) files there aren't too many reasons to upgrade. Since at my work we need support for non-square pictures and raw files from digital cameras at 16 bit for color correction he was a very welcome upgrade.

See ya!

Razorwolf
12-06-2003, 08:59 PM
I would stick with PS5.5, the only useful thing added (for me) from 5.5 to CS is the healing brush, that's a really handy tool.

halo
12-07-2003, 12:44 AM
fortunately i learnt PS before even history or layers...so i turn history down to 1 and just crack on with layers. I havent had the need for multiple undos because my workflow is sooo engrained.

fee
12-19-2003, 04:53 AM
In my opinion, Photoshop CS is a worthless upgrade centered around typical software marketing BS. It's sad to see such an uninspired and bug-ridden release hit the streets.

My biggest complaint lies with the memory managment. Our files tend to have many, many layers. Our interface and icons need this flexibilty. When opening these docs---that previously opened just fine in 7--- now they take 10 - 20 seconds. When editing layers, it the entire file goes blank for 20-30 seconds. Creating layers, painting, etc. Forget about it. These documents worked fine under 7 now they are useless. I spent most of the day rearranging our files to compensate for this BS.

Look forward to the traditional dot-release to save my *ss.

Yes, there are some nice features, however they are primarily centered around the professional photographer. I know it's in the name but they should really consider busting this beast in 2. 1) For the Professional Photographer 2) Another app for design / illustration

:(

Arctos
01-12-2004, 05:28 AM
CS looks like a worthwhile upgrade for my design/illustration workflow. I've ordered it, but it hasn't come in yet.

Of course it depends on what you do with it. Try it for yourself:
Photoshop CS Demo Here (http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp#product=39)

(I don't supposed anybody at Adobe would have expected that many illustrators would the need the photo tools that Pshop started out with. And now more and more photographers are using illustrator's techniques on their photos. Everybody benefits from this fusion)

nucstle
01-14-2004, 03:01 AM
I've been using this at school and for some reason the keyboard shortcuts just stop working (anyone else have this problem). I prefer 7.0.

Ikarus
01-14-2004, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by nucstle
I've been using this at school and for some reason the keyboard shortcuts just stop working (anyone else have this problem). I prefer 7.0.
Ask the person responsible for the computers/software in your computer labs. Maybe something went wrong with the installation.

Also there are rumors that Keyboard shortcuts don't work for cracked versions of the program.

nucstle
01-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Ikarus, you were right about the installation problem. i just spoke with the lab director and he says he got an error message when installing. Since then he's reinstalled Photoshop CS and it's working fine.

Thanks,
that was rather annoying.

recycleBin
01-16-2004, 01:18 PM
It really depends on whether or not your a professional... For the average person who just does stuff in PS to make a wallpaper or something like that PS7.x is fine...

But if your like me and you use it to do professional web design, logos, image enhancement, etc... PSCS is just about a must... Like someone said before, the upgrades aren't for those who just spam the filters like crazy until they find something they like... Its for people who actually know what they are doing...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.