PDA

View Full Version : 3ds max 2010 viewport problem

gsamaniego
09-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I previously tried to post about this problem, but the information was incomplete.

The problem is, I use 3ds Max 2010 32-bit, with Direct3d 9.0 as viewport driver.

After a Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit reinstall, I installed all the necessary drivers, as usual, but 3ds Max has extremely slow and heavy viewports with the same settings as before the reinstall.

Dell Vostro 3500

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 1910 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator HD, 731 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 290204 MB, Free - 124551 MB; D: Total - 14999 MB, Free - 6485 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0G2R51
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

-I suspect that there is some driver that is outdated (Revit Architecture 2011 warns me so) but I have tried many times to install the latest drivers, downloaded from the Dell website and from the Intel website. In the beginning I took them from the original Dell CD, which even though is outdated, let 3ds Max work previously without any problems

-I installed DirectX, even though it comes standard with Windows 7, just in case.

-dxdiag says that I have DirectX11 with Direct3d enabled.

-Device Manager says that I have the graphics driver up to date.

-I don't get any error messages from 3ds Max, just extremely poor performance, with the same settings that gave good results before the Windows 7 reinstall.

-I have Brazil r/s installed on 3ds Max, but I don't think it has any influence. That is the only external plugin.

-I adjusted all possible graphics settings to “performance” instead of “quality”

-I thought that maybe the memory allocation for the graphics could have changed for some reason, but this doesn't seem to be possible in this computer.

-I remember I had this problem before, once that I had to reinstall Windows, but I can't really remember what it is that I installed to fix the issue.

-The 3ds Max installer is exactly the same one I have been using previously, I kept it in an external hard drive when I formatted the disk on the laptop.

-Revit Architecture 2010 runs OK, 2011 works but warns me about outdated drivers and 2012 simply won't install. (Gets stuck at one point)

-I tried again to get newer drivers for Intel(R) GMA HD. No change.

-As far as I know through the Device Manager, I have the rest of the drivers up to date.

-Never tried software heidi, not even before the reinstall

-If there is any element I neglected in this description, it was most likely unchanged/unmodified, since I usually do not modify things in my computer.

Is this a problem that can be solved? Does anybody have any experience with this?

Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated, because I'm desperate with this problem.

Thanks a lot,

Gonzalo

gsamaniego
09-13-2012, 06:33 PM
I noticed one more thing that might be important: For tasks which used to take up 200-300 MB of memory, it now uses 600-700 MB.

I hope this helps...

Srek
09-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Mobile i3, 2GB RAM and an onboard Intel Graphics is THE worst setup you can use for 3D work. I'm actually surprised that you can make it work with max at all.
Do yourself a favour and get a system that is meant for 3D work, not a mobile office pc.
Cheers
Björn

gsamaniego
09-13-2012, 09:25 PM
I know, I know it's not good, but for quick fixes or for when i travel it used to do the trick quite well, but I don't know what it's missing now for it to work...

Thanks for the advice

olson
09-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I know, I know it's not good, but for quick fixes or for when i travel it used to do the trick quite well, but I don't know what it's missing now for it to work...

Thanks for the advice

If the process for Max is using 700 MB of memory then the machine is probably out of physical memory. Windows 7 by itself typically uses more than 1 GB of memory. Using virtual memory will make anything slow. You can check this with the task manager if you want. If you ask me the hardware is insufficient for the task no matter how you spin it.

gsamaniego
09-13-2012, 10:43 PM
If the process for Max is using 700 MB of memory then the machine is probably out of physical memory. Windows 7 by itself typically uses more than 1 GB of memory. Using virtual memory will make anything slow. You can check this with the task manager if you want. If you ask me the hardware is insufficient for the task no matter how you spin it.

That would explain a lot... A few days ago I ordered a 4GB RAM card for this laptop just in case, I guess it was a god thing to do!

Srek
09-14-2012, 07:30 AM
That would explain a lot... A few days ago I ordered a 4GB RAM card for this laptop just in case, I guess it was a god thing to do!
Sorry to say, it won't help much since you are using a 32 bit windows. You need 64 bit to realy make use of anything >2GB

olson
09-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Sorry to say, it won't help much since you are using a 32 bit windows. You need 64 bit to realy make use of anything >2GB

Get a hold of a 64-bit Windows 7 disc and the same serial can be used for a 64-bit install. :thumbsup:

gsamaniego
09-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Get a hold of a 64-bit Windows 7 disc and the same serial can be used for a 64-bit install. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I think I'm gonna do that. I ran the Windows 7 64-bit compatibility test and apparently this computer is compatible. :thumbsup: I just have to wait until the extra RAM arrives

olson
09-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I think I'm gonna do that. I ran the Windows 7 64-bit compatibility test and apparently this computer is compatible. :thumbsup: I just have to wait until the extra RAM arrives

If you want you could go ahead and install the 64-bit version now. It doesn't require 4+ GB of memory, it just supports it if available.

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2012, 07:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.