PDA

View Full Version : tradicional art or digital?

raizel
09-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Hello for you guys!
First of all, thanks for reading. I know most of people here are great great artists, and not so many of them have patience to listen and teach the newbies-you have no idea of how much the minor comment can help!

ok, let's go to what matters:
I'm in the 2nd year of a (good) graphic design college, it's the closest I cloud get from what I really want to work someday, concept art.
I never made any drawing school, just studied by a few books I got from libraries (they're expensive you know!). I can say I'm not thaaat bad, but I'm pretty sure I need a lot more to get there (a drawing/character of mine - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/vannilioscaett.jpg/)

Now, the first time in my life, there's an opportunity to ingress a nice illustration school.
But there are 2 options: tradicional (gouache/watercolor) and digital.

Digital is what I REALLY want to work, but my doubt is:
isn't the tradicional media also required on the market? or, isn't better if I learn first the traditional-then digital? or both?

Thank you SO much for reading =}

technokill
09-25-2012, 11:54 PM
I'd like to know about that matter too!

I have the exact same question over here.

It seems for me that traditional art would cover both sides eventually, since I've read a lot that a digital artist MUST know how to draw traditionally. It's like digital drawing is the species and traditional the genre. In other words it would be a waste to start focusing on the more specific thing when you are not sure you can fully manage the broader one.

Please enlighten me if I'm wrong.

artzolio
09-29-2012, 07:39 AM
A good painter without digital skills will have a hard time finding a job nowadays. However, a digital painter with no traditional art education will find a hard time keeping a job. Traditional media will teach you tons of principles that are difficult to find in online tutorials, and digital tutorials sometimes lack basic principles for painting and drawing. Same applies for other areas such as sculpting and even programming.

Digital will teach you the tools, but not the techniques to make a good drawing or story: perspective, proportions, pose, story, character development, etc. Digital will allow you to sell them, but if they are lacking substance, you will have a hard time selling your digital portfolio to companies/clients.

As far as your drawing, its a great start, but do you know if this is the preferred format a modeler (or the next in the production line) would like to see? Whenever you work, you need to know "what will this be used for". Form follows function.

Cesar Montero - www.artzolio.com

artzolio
10-02-2012, 09:51 AM
A good painter without digital skills will have a hard time finding a job nowadays. However, a digital painter with no traditional art education will find a hard time keeping a job. Traditional media will teach you tons of principles that are difficult to find in online tutorials, and digital tutorials sometimes lack basic principles for painting and drawing. Same applies for other areas such as sculpting and even programming.

Digital will teach you the tools, but not the techniques to make a good drawing or story: perspective, proportions, pose, story, character development, etc. Digital will allow you to sell them, but if they are lacking substance, you will have a hard time selling your digital portfolio to companies/clients.

As far as your drawing, its a great start, but do you know if this is the preferred format a modeler (or the next in the production line) would like to see? Whenever you work, you need to know "what will this be used for". Form follows function.

Cesar Montero - artzolio.com

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2012, 09:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.