PDA

View Full Version : High School Course choices?

CraigGordonTV
09-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Im currently doing NCEA Level 2 in New Zealand. i was wondering what the best subjects would be in order to have the best chance getting into universities for Film/Vfx. what qualifications are employers etc looking for these days? In the next year or two while i do NCEA, what should my goals be? what will help me the most?

At the moment im thinking; Design, Graphics, Maths, English and Biology. But there are other options like Photography & Painting. im not allowed to have more than 2 art subjects including graphics though.

taxguy
09-11-2012, 01:22 PM
High School is a time to develop your primary academic skills in reading, writing and math. I would strongly urge you to keep taking courses that improve these skills. They not only will be required for admission to the better art and design schools here in the US, but these skills will serve you well in the future on any job.

As for VFX skills, you will get these in a good art/design college program. Focus on basic drawing skills while in high school.

leigh
09-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Photography and painting are both very beneficial for a career in VFX. What does the graphics course involve? If its very basic, it'd be better to do photography and painting instead, since they're more likely to be useful. Design wouldn't necessarily be useful for VFX either, depending on what it is, although having good design sense is a useful skill. Again, it kinda depends on the quality of the course itself.

artzolio
10-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Find more about your instructors. I hate to say it, but sometimes teachers might not be qualified to give a specific subject. All the courses you listed are great, painting and photography would be ideal. However, if the design teacher is great, he will most likely teach fundamentals in a better way than a bad photography teacher would. Find about your teachers, and be inquisitive and ask previous students. Check your teachers portfolio.

While all the above courses will teach you something valuable, the most essential quality in VFX is to be inquisitive and curious.

Cesar Montero - artzolio.com

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2012, 11:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.