PDA

View Full Version : How to do a 'follow through' animation?

BAROBA
12-02-2003, 09:11 PM
Hi guys
I am attending a course on animation, it is half 2d and half 3d
And the teacher of 2d is cool enough to let us do stuff in 3d what he teaches us in 2d.
So far no problem.
But the follow through animation is a real pain.
I cant find the right solution for it.
I tried bone chains, but following a null or something doesn't work.
I tried expressions ( what I know of it :s ) It didn't work
I tried some plugins, like cycler and such, no luck.
I think MD could do it, but I never tried it before.
Does anyone have a clue? Do I really have to use MD and how to set it up ( I have a head with a tail attached to it, and the tail has to follow the head)

All help is welcome

ursa
12-02-2003, 10:13 PM
iI have an assignment like this in the class i teach.
you could just do it with bones and keyframes...
you don't have to automate everything.

ursa

SplineGod
12-02-2003, 11:07 PM
You could probably animate it by hand faster then you could come up with some kind of expression or MD based soluton. If youre learning to animate then I would just animate it. :)
You can use bones or something like shift spline transform (a free plugin) to animate the tail

3DDave
12-03-2003, 12:29 AM
I agree, it's a lot faster and rewarding to hunker down and do the work by hand and move on.

SplineGod
12-03-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by 3DDave
I agree, it's a lot faster and rewarding to hunker down and do the work by hand and move on.
Not to mention that part of the art of animation is acting, caricatured motion and timing. It always seems to take the animators touch to get exactly the best look. Technically correct doesnt equate to "romantically" correct.

kretin
12-03-2003, 05:13 AM
Technically correct doesnt equate to "romantically" correct.
Tut tut Larry... stealing quotes from George again? :p

But seriously BAROBA, there are many ways to automate follow through in certain circumstances, but if you're following 2D animation rules you really should stick to doing it manually, as you don't have any automation with pencil and paper...

SplineGod
12-03-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by kretin
Tut tut Larry... stealing quotes from George again? :p

But seriously BAROBA, there are many ways to automate follow through in certain circumstances, but if you're following 2D animation rules you really should stick to doing it manually, as you don't have any automation with pencil and paper...
LOL! I loved that 2nd DVD that came with the movie. VERY educational and that one quote sums it up beautifully. :)

scroll-lock
12-03-2003, 11:27 AM
SplineGod is right :) It`s always better and accurate to do it by hand.
For example i had to animate falling rocks... i used plugins, MD, and after all i made them by hand :) all those rocks... but they look better now :P

Ed Bittner
12-03-2003, 11:35 AM
And also the other factors involved, acceleration, deceleration,etc. Yep, animating by hand, ( or mouse), is the way to do it.
Ed

BAROBA
12-03-2003, 08:55 PM
I think I will use a bonechain with FK to move the tail.

The testing with plugins I will do some other time.
Thanks for the feedback.

SplineGod
12-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Baroba,
Check the free rigs area of my website. I have an example rig showing how to use bones and selection sets to animate a tenticle easily. It should be simple to adapt it to your tail. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.