PDA

View Full Version : Best way to backup Workstation

magnus1225
09-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Hello,

I'm currently purchasing parts for a new workstation. I have an SSD for a bootdrive, and a Seagate Barracuda for projects, assets, etc. I also have two external 2TB harddrives.

What would be the best way to backup the Seagate Barracuda? Would just backing up the information to the external harddrive at the end of the day via usb3 be the most efficient? Is there some adapter out there that is more efficient? Would purchasing a second Seagate Barracuda and having that set up to backup the first harddive at the end of the day be the best? Thanks guys

MichaelWBell
09-10-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm also interested in hearing people's suggestions.

At the moment i'm also doing more manual backups - backing up job folders and assets to an external drive most days. The best backup solution might be a small server that you can mirror a few job folders onto. Or 2 small servers so one can be stored offsite.

A while ago I tried out Synctoy (Microsoft) (http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=15155) about a year back, it seemed to work ok. I was having a couple of issues because i wanted to sync 2 workstations with an external drive. I'm sure if i set it up properly it would work fine. and it's free!

Artbot
09-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Uh-oh - another hardware post in GD. (ducks behind wall)

ErikJohEve
09-10-2012, 05:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

Best. EOD

cgbeige
09-10-2012, 07:21 PM
find whatever clone of Time Machine for Windows is best because Time Machine is perfect.

I use rsync for synchronization of folders between machines but it's very finicky for backups and doesn't have an easy restore feature. it's useless for OS-level restores, unlike Time Machine, which can do complete restoration of apps, user folders, etc without screwing up.

tswalk
09-11-2012, 04:22 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

Best. EOD

^this, because of delta and compression capabilities.

ShawnDriscoll
09-11-2012, 07:41 AM
It's nice to have a USB or networked drive that clones your data files and folders whenever they are created/updated. But if you are serious about backups, you'll want an off-site backup as well in case your place burns down. Do not use tape backup.

Srek
09-11-2012, 08:53 AM
My vote for Rsync as well. In your case i would use two or more external drives that you use for backups one after the other. Rotate them regularily, that way you can also preserve older versions and you can put one off site.

earwax69
09-11-2012, 10:12 AM
It's ok to backup on another drive but I dont trust this method completely. I also backup critical projects on bluray drives for extra protection. It cost almost nothing and it's easy like 1-2-3.

olson
09-11-2012, 02:35 PM
I use rsync on Windows (with Cygwin), Mac, and Linux. While not as fully featured as Time Machine it offers very good performance and more flexibility than Time Machine.

paintbox
09-12-2012, 12:53 PM
I save only current projects to the main computer, and after a finish immediately to the backup HDD (2x) with a sync utility. Easy as pie and keeps the computers clean of unnecessary data. At one point I hope to add a server to access data anywhere with VPN (old laptop)

sentry66
09-12-2012, 02:58 PM
I use Retrospect to backup across the network to a server. Nothing fancy, works great. I have it scheduled for twice a day and monthly to different drives.

CGTalk Moderation
09-12-2012, 02:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.