PDA

View Full Version : Multi GPU and GPU based rendering

cooperunionstud
09-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Does anyone have experience with GPU based rendering and using 2 or more GPUS? I am mainly thinking engines like FRY RENDERING and Vray RT and Octane. Does having more than one GPU in a machine help speed up the rendering process?

olson
09-10-2012, 03:45 AM
A few advertise this feature (higher performance with more additional GPU) and you can see it in use on V-Ray RT in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFUpPe3o1rE

Not all will utilize additional GPU, depends on the renderer. What are you thinking about using GPU based rendering for? They will work great for some tasks and stop the show for others depending on what lighting and rendering features are needed (displacements, hair, subsurface scattering, etc.).

cooperunionstud
09-10-2012, 03:59 AM
I want to look at my options for a short. Rendering power is critical for me aince i dont have much of a budget. So u have any experience with octane?

cooperunionstud
09-10-2012, 04:10 AM
That youtube link is pretty cool. Its what i am looking for i guess. As far as i know vrAy rt hasnt allowed users to save out gpu renders unless you used a script. Will this feature be available in the new vray?

thev
09-10-2012, 10:42 AM
That youtube link is pretty cool. Its what i am looking for i guess. As far as i know vrAy rt hasnt allowed users to save out gpu renders unless you used a script. Will this feature be available in the new vray?This has been available for a long time now in the latest versions of V-Ray for 3ds Max, when you use V-Ray RT as a production renderer.

Best regards,
Vlado

cooperunionstud
09-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Hey vlado
Thats good news i checked chaosgroup forum but I didnt find much info on t. Based on my previous experience with fry render it could not render out typical render passes other than beauty. Does vray rt have the same limitations?

thev
09-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Does vray rt have the same limitations?For the moment, yes. However we are working hard to implement support for render elements.

Best regards,
Vlado

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2012, 12:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.