PDA

View Full Version : Low poly head.

Gabe
12-02-2003, 06:28 PM
This is a test I got from Midway Games.

What do you think, any suggestions, or improvements from the pros?

400 polys

Texture is 256 by 269 24 bit.

http://www.boomspeed.com/bleed/head-male.jpg

The texture on the model is like 25% the size of this one.
http://www.boomspeed.com/bleed/headmap.jpg

baaah888
12-02-2003, 11:08 PM
one thing with low poly I'd advise is that the shape is more importnt than the detail.

The main reason i say this, is because you need more geometry in the shape of the head.

What good is a great looking face when the back of the head looks so sharp.

Is there any way you could save 10-20 polys in the face and redistibute them to the rear of the head to make it more rounded.

Gabe
12-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Good point, I'll see what I can do. I originaly had the back of the head rounded, but I had to get rid of that to lower the count.

I'll fix it.

thanks

Matt
12-03-2003, 12:28 AM
That's 400 polys?

Gabe
12-03-2003, 02:37 AM
OK, I fixed the back of the head, and tweaked the texture map.

Yes that is exactly 400 Polys.

The test requires me to model a head using 400 Ploys, and that's what I did. No more, and no less. I hit the nail on the head. :D

Quizboy
12-03-2003, 02:49 AM
Is 400 Polys or 400 triangles what they want?

Quizboy
12-03-2003, 02:55 AM
i don't really know anything about games, but i've got common sense which tells me to make a suggestion that may be totally off the wall...obviously you built the head using mirroring, right? Well now that you've built it, what about deleting some of the center edges to make whole polys out of those and win some polygons to play with the shape in other places?

getting a test seems like a big deal to me, especially from Midway, so if i were you i would keep tweaking this thing and stealing polys from places until it matches that photo almost perfectly.

Gabe
12-03-2003, 03:17 AM
They want Polys

And I already sent it, I couldn't wait. I wanted to get it out ASAP.

I hope it's good enough to land me a job.

I have wanted to work at Midway since I was like 11 years old. It would be so awesome for me to be able to do that.

I'm holding my breath on this one.

The thing is that once I sent it, I started to nitice all these imperfections. Arrrg!

Dargon
12-03-2003, 03:33 AM
Hate to break this to you, but there are 3 things that could fail you on this one.

1. Really square everywhere but face - more polys need to be used on hair - not many, but more.

2. A 256X269 texture can't work. It should have been 256X256.

3. There is too much wasted black space on your texture. You can tell that you were starting with a much higher-res texture, and shrinking it to your resolution, but you should have not included any black space at all if you could help it. Mash the face against the left hand side, scale it up so it fills to the top and bottom, and as far right as possible. Then put the teeth and so on, as big as possible, so they barely fit. The idea is to waste as few pixels as possible, to get the highest resolution possible. You could've also used some of that extra space with a bit of unsymetrical detailing - like how on his right side of his head,(our left) his hair line comes slightly farther up, and his eye is a slightly different shape. You could put in some space for those, and just blend them in very carefully with your UVs.

Gabe
12-03-2003, 03:45 AM
Hmmm, I'll keep that in mind for next time.

I have a lot of black space on the top of the texture because the guy's hair is very black.

I fit the UV's all the way to the top and the bottom, I did that because I didn't want the top of the head to be stretching.

Should I have left the top of the head UV's stretched?

Well, I asked them for a starting position, so maybe they will take that into consideration. Nobody starts out knowing everything.

I hope they think that way for my sake. eek!

I only need to be told, or shown something 1 time for me to learn it. I pick up pretty fast.

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it.

Prs-Phil
12-03-2003, 09:11 AM
hmmm
The modeling issues havea allready been mentioned and quizboy has a point but if you want to do use the texspace at a optimum you should be able to mirror, this is where the artist has to decide wich is more important, .. a few faces less and fitting more onto less or the other way round :)

The texture space ... yeah its allready been said. :)
I donīt get what you mean with stretching. Just scale it up 1:1 as much as possible. Same goes for the ear and the rest.

No offence m8 but the texture is a bit weird. You used photos wich is worth a own discussion thread. (If you didnt and handpainted everything ... respect) I guess you painted some things. To the weird part ... the teeth ... are you kidding me

1. Texture space again
2. they havent been painted very well. I guess you modled the teeth so that you need them textured but why arent they up to the "standard" of the rest of the texture.

Now this is not offending you but I wouldnt hire you ... why ? because you can see that you didnt put that much work and thought into it. Like you said you wanted to get it out asp. I just have to look at the topology of the model (esspecially the sideview) and the fact that with a little effort you could cut down on the polycount a bit more.
The final thing doesnt look bad at all but not prof enough if you ask me ... but I havent got that much room to talk anyway ;)

marshall6912
12-03-2003, 10:22 AM
The original model head ain't symmetrical,but your model is which i assumed you did it by creating 1 half and then mirroring it.Solution would be to collapse the model and then move some vertices to get rid of the symmetrical look.

Seems like you put a bit too much polygons on the nose and thus left the hair to be a bit too blocky.Solution would be to remove some polygons from the nose and move it to the hair area.Same problem and solution for the jawline.

Gabe
12-03-2003, 07:21 PM
The stretching I was talking about was when I did the UVW unwrapping, I used the Checker board texture, and I needed to stretch the top of the head high, so that the checker board texture was not stretching.

I will fix the problem areas, and post it again.

The teeth I didn't texture that well because you can hardly see them. I figured it would be a waste of time.
But I'll fix them now since you brought it up.

Thanks for the info again.

Gabe
12-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Fixed the teeth.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.