PDA

View Full Version : 3ds max crash with radeon hd 7970

Migrator
09-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Hello,

I have a strange problem with my new radeon hd 7970 card and 3ds max.

I have random crashes while working in 3ds max. There are vertical lines on the screen and I have to reboot my computer.
After that I can't reopen my scene but what is even worse I also can't open my backup files that were saved several minutes before crash. This is very strange.
I think the problem is only with 3ds max because games and other applications work fine.

I'm using 3ds max 2011 64 bit and my system is Windows 7 64 bit with latest patches. None of my pc component is overclocked, however the graphic card is factory overclocked (this is MSI hd 7970 lightning edition).

I tried to change from direct 3d mode to open GL but it didn't help.
The problem occurs both with the drivers provided with the card and the latest drivers available.

Before I send the card back to the vendor I want to be sure that the problem is caused by card and not the software.
Is there any test for graphic cards to check if they work properly, something like memtest for memory?
Is anyone here using this card and has any problems with 3d applications?

Thank you for any suggestions.

CKPinson
09-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Performance settings and change to Direct X. give that a shot- you said direct3d so if that's the same thing then next uninstall and reinstall vid drivers (with restart in-between) you can check version in CCC Control Center Help then About.

Worse case reinstall 3ds=

Much worse case is that your PSU isn't strong enuff or is damaged to support this card. It isn't by any means a power hungry card tho, actually very efficient compared to Nvidia- may even be a bad card- where'd you buy it from? Swap for another.

Be sure to back up files to external incase this is an indication of something worse. Corrupted OS etc.

Migrator
09-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Performance settings and change to Direct X. give that a shot- you said direct3d so if that's the same thing then next uninstall and reinstall vid drivers (with restart in-between) you can check version in CCC Control Center Help then About.
Thank you CKPinson, I will check it.
My PSU is 650W and for this card 500W is recommended as a minimum, so I don't think this is problem with lack of power. Interestingly, the card works well in stressing conditions like rendering. It seems that something is wrong with the proper display of viewports. I have a very simple scene with just a few objects and the crashes occur when I zoom in, select a polygon or move the object.

I forgot to mention that I didn't have any problem with my previous card which was geforce 9800 GTX.

I have bought this radeon in the internet shop and in the worst case I can send it back for repair. But, since the problem is only with 3d max I doubt that they will find out what's wrong with the card.

CKPinson
09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Who/when did you buy it/from. Just return it or RMA it.

I think it's the card if you've tried other settings within Max and tried reinstalling everything.

Migrator
09-14-2012, 03:30 PM
I have installed the older drivers and it seems like this solved the problem.

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2012, 03:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.