PDA

View Full Version : hand polygon count

JRH
12-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Hi,

I'm new to modelling using Wings. Since I'm into characters my first project has been a hand. I was inspired by a thread at Spiraloid and decided to try to copy a hand by a poster (Laa-yosh). I'm almost finished and it's been an incredible learning experience. My question--I'm currently at just over nine hundred polygons and anticipate somewhere under a thousand without any smoothing. What type of project would a hand of this count be used for? Since I'm going to focus on trying to get each part of the human body right step by step, are there counts for hands that would be used in different settings that I should aim for as I work on different hands. Game setting, others?

Thanks for any info.

JRH

DaemonMagus
12-03-2003, 03:12 AM
I don't really know much about poly counts but I do know that is way to many polygons for a hand in a real time 3d game, unless your character is the hand or something. From what I'm seeing it seems as though today's standards for the polygon count on a character in a shooting game is around 3k and for ones in real time strategy its around 500.

Thanatos0
12-16-2003, 11:18 AM
If you're using 1000 polys for the hand, the whole body would come to about 20000 right? They'd probably use that kind of detail in movies (the matrix, final fantasy etc)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.