PDA

View Full Version : The Return of Babylon 5?

Dennik
12-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Just bumped on that one.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dark Horizons reports reports (via Usenet) that there is something new and significant happening with the BABYLON 5 franchise, and this time it comes straight from the fingers of the show's creator, J. Michael Straczynski. Is it for movie or television format? JMS isn't saying at this time...

>>Link<< (http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Television&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270355&obj_id=40299)

yog
12-02-2003, 04:05 PM
I'm not totally surprised, the box sets of the B5 series have been selling like wild fire each time one is released. As a fan I'm very glad to hear this, but realistically this is only happening because the box sets have shown there is money to be made.

Now my ultimate wish (as a B5/CGI fan) would be for Foundation Imaging to reform in order to do the effects and have Ron Thornton come back to oversee it. Netter Digital did an "OK" job (still not happy in how they got the job), but they definately lacked the flare and inventivness of Foundation.

eliseu gouveia
12-02-2003, 04:13 PM
I dunno, I think Straczynski closed it very well.
All knots tied and everybody lived happilly ever after (except poor Garibaldi, Marcus and Ivanova).

Only things I failed to see closure in were:

- That creature that apparently possessed Centauri emperors and "couldn´t hold its liquor"... whatever happened to that plotline?

- The black telepat (Thalia´s boyfriend) who transcended into a new god-like lifeform, at the end turned to Sinclair and said:"See you in a milion years." What did he mean by that?

Other than that, I really liked the series but think he should leave it alone.
Like Buffy or Cheers, sometimes people just have to learn to let it go when they´re still at the head of the game, otherwise it´ll eventually just whither and die horribly, like Moonlighting.

Just my humble two cents, since this IS his baby after all...

Omnicrola
12-02-2003, 10:50 PM
The Emperor's "Watcher" creature : It stays, and controlls Mollari until the day he dies, and then Vir eventually ascends the throne, but this fact is not directly covered, it is inferred by several incidents.

The telepath that evolved (damned if i can remember his name). The million years is a refering to the timespan it will take the rest of the human race to evolve to the point where he is now. It served as a glossed-over foreshadowing event for the rest of the series.

I finally got resolution on a lot of questions after hunting down the entire series on Kazzaa over the course of 3 months, lol. I had started watching during the 2nd season and lost it near the end of the 3rd, after they pulled it from broadcast TV in the US. So I was really confused about some things. :p

I have a lot of respect for Straczynski for his ability to tell a 5 year long story, so intristicly woven together, it was beautiful to see it all from beginning to end.
"Crusades" was dissapointing, I'm not sorry they dropped that. It had some interesting charecters, but it lacked the depth the origonal did. And the Rangers movie was barely tolerable, glad that never spawned the series it was supposed to, it would have turned out as just another Star Trek variation.

I really can't think of a story they could tell from this universe, without destroying the continuity of the rest, or pulling something truely worthless obscure reference out of their ass and making a story around it. There are some open-ended senarios that where left unresolved, but I think they're all best left that way.

colkai
12-03-2003, 09:33 AM
I would have like to find out what happened to Lyta Alexanda and G'Kar on their travels and t osee if they made something of her ever increasing powers.

Plus of course, Pat is a babe and Andreas is a superb actor, one of the good bits of the rangers movie was to see him in action again.

Thalaxis
12-03-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Omnicrola

The telepath that evolved (damned if i can remember his name).

Jason Ironheart. :)

The million years is a refering to the timespan it will take the rest of the human race to evolve to the point where he is now. It served as a glossed-over foreshadowing event for the rest of the series.

That particular episdoe foreshadowed a LOT -- the Telepath
Wars, a civil war resulting in the fall of Earth, amont other things.

I really can't think of a story they could tell from this universe, without destroying the continuity of the rest, or pulling something truely worthless obscure reference out of their ass and making a story around it. There are some open-ended senarios that where left unresolved, but I think they're all best left that way.

Actually, the story's already written... JMS took the approach of
writing a LOT of history and story, for a thousand years in each
direction, and then portraying some of the most interesting parts
in the series. That's why he was able to accomplish such a sense
of continuity for so long, even without writing every episode
himself.

So if Bab5 continues, there is no reason to believe that as long as
JMS maintains his standard and creative control, there will not be
a loss in consistency.

Whether or not it would be as good as the original is of course an
open question though, since presumably the series already
covered the best parts :)

F. Hultqvist
12-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Whether or not it would be as good as the original is of course an open question though, since presumably the series already covered the best parts

Uhhmm, they still have one ace in the hole left, and that is the telepaths. If they continue the series, you can bet it would be about the telepath wars. There is currently an ultimate doomsday's device walking around as an attractive woman . . .

Thalaxis
12-03-2003, 04:34 PM
True, true... the Telepath Wars could be a rather interesting story
by themselves :)

Omnicrola
12-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by colkai
I would have like to find out what happened to Lyta Alexanda and G'Kar on their travels and t osee if they made something of her ever increasing powers.

Plus of course, Pat is a babe and Andreas is a superb actor, one of the good bits of the rangers movie was to see him in action again.

OMG, how could I have forgotten about that little tidbit. I would love to see those trouble those 2 get into, and what ultimatly becomes of Lyta.:love:

Stormy151
12-04-2003, 05:25 AM
I would like them to revisit the Crusade spin-off series. The one where the Drakh infect Earth with a Shadow-tech virus. JMS has said that Crusade was as much about the search for the virus cure, as B5 was about the Narn vs the Centauri. Apparently the cure was to be found during Season 2...

There's plenty of stuff that hasn't been touched on. I'd like to see the Telepath War, for instance.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.