PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the HD7970 for use in Maya.

Mrsyco
09-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Hey everyone, so I've been looking at a graphics cards for my new rig. I spent a lot of time working on scenes with large amount of polygons, for architecture work so something that preforms well in Maya's viewport when shaded is a must.

I've been told that the 7970 is one of the best cards for openGL beating both the 580 and the 680, I have also been warned about the errors that can sometimes occur with ATI cards.

Am I on the right track with my choice of the 7970? Would you lot recommend it?

Thanks in advance.

CKPinson
09-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Personally I have not used this exact card but since it came out I have been using the 5850 and love it- had no issues- lucky enuff to use various softwares thru my employer and so far- Maya, Mud, Zbrush, (MAX although I barely use it) and EVEN MARI works- MARI surprised me but it works so well!

Mrsyco
09-03-2012, 07:54 PM
That's really helpful CK Pinson thankyou. From what others have said like yourself it seems a lot of people give ATI cards a bad rep because of problems in the past which have been fixed. Its amazing to hear your card works with mari, that was one of the software application I was most worried about when heading to university. I mean without dropping a lot of money on a workstation card the 7970 seems like the best possible consumer grade card for 3d.

CGTalk Moderation
09-03-2012, 07:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.