PDA

View Full Version : Skinning mini-tutorial

BoBo-the-seal
06-14-2002, 08:08 AM
I was asked by another artist how I painted this character. I thought it might be useful to others so here iis a mini tutorial:

http://www.bobotheseal.com/tuts/skin_technique01.jpg

1. I start with a vertex bake of the mesh. I set the colors and lighting in max and bake the vertex colors into the mesh. For a more detailed explanation check out my tutorial
http://www.bobotheseal.com/tuts_vertex_bake01.htm

2. I begin drawing in the rough detail using the dodge and burn tools.

3. Again more dodge and burn but I made the middle darker and a little redder by playing with the image adjustment tool “Variations”. (In Photoshop look under Image/Adjust/Variations.)
I prefer this over the other adjustment tools because it changes the colors as a whole and doesn’t immediately shift to a monochromatic tone.

4. This is the stage I begin getting tighter with the details and using the airbrush, I add additional colors. I also use the smudge tool to blend and smooth out my shading.

5. I go in even tighter, adding in blemishes and finalizing the colors.

6. The last step is texture overlays. I like to find photos and textures that I can overlay over some of my painted detail to create patterning.
Place your textures on a new layer above your painted image layer and play with the layer properties to get the effect that best fits. I use Soft Light, Overlay and Multiply the most. I then paint over those to accentuate some of the details.
In this example I used photos of a frog and a snail to add some final touches.

http://www.bobotheseal.com/temp/WIP/CronosV_heavy_wip01.jpg

If yall have any questions feel free to ask.

BoBo

SeanW
06-14-2002, 10:17 AM
Tight, thanks a ton for spending the time doing up the tutorial. I'll have to try the vertex baking on my next model.

MosaFacku
06-15-2002, 02:26 AM
bobo thanks for the tutorial!! i got your video tut on painting in photoshop a while ago and it helped me a great deal. quick question, do you know how to achieve results similar to your vertex bake tutorial in maya?? all of the models i make are in maya, since that is what they teach at my school and i haven't been able to find anything that allows the UV shells to appear in shaded mode in the UV editor. if anyone could help, it'd rock. thanks.

dutch
06-16-2002, 04:44 AM
very nice
they should post this as a news topic. im sure many will learn from this, its not that hard(you dont need to know all of photoshop)

Whirlwind
06-17-2002, 02:17 AM
Your textureing skills really are quite phenomenal. This kind of level is definately what I'm sure most of us aspire to become. Thanks for the quick tutorial.
-D

Milho
06-25-2002, 09:27 PM
Wow. Impressed like allways when watching you. You :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.