PDA

View Full Version : Character - Generic Female - Early (Large Images)

kyuketsuki
12-02-2003, 01:54 AM
I would like to get some input on my topography, density, loop flow and structure.
I know parts of her midsection are jacked, I am not close to finishing, but since this is my first poly character I wanted to see if anyone noticed anything interesting.
I realize that I spent a lot of time and effort making sure that she stayed quads for no good reason considering that she is meant to be tri'd for an engine.

Don't pull punches or or candy-coat your crits.
(But don't make the puppy angels cry either :)

http://www.wdcenterprise.com/Current/Char_V01_f01.jpg

http://www.wdcenterprise.com/Current/Char_V01_f02.jpg

http://www.wdcenterprise.com/Current/Char_V01_f03.jpg

aesir
12-02-2003, 02:23 AM
The face looks pretty perfect proportion wise. But its really high poly. Especially the ear. Is this really gonna be a game model?

Deadalus
12-02-2003, 04:19 AM
looking good but like aesir sayd , it really high-poly for a game except for a cinematic but then your in the wrong section ;)
anyway only thing,s that bothering me it the nose, look to stretched. also the anatomy 's a bit odd for a "normal" women
maybe she's anorexic or some kind of alien or maybe an anorexic alien... Ok i'll shut up now ;)

kyuketsuki
12-02-2003, 06:23 AM
I admit she is high poly for a game model, and now I am trying to get used to stopping soon enough to keep it that way. :)

I don't believe that I am in the wrong area because of two reasons;
1) I have read many discussions in the gaming forum here and many engines seem to accept this level (XBox, PC).
2) I dumped what is there so far (I know it's not the whole thing) into the Unreal II engine and it ran fine on both my machines.
(Dual PIII - 256MB RAM Wildcat 4110)
(PIV - 1G RAM - ATI 128)

(please correct me if I am wrong about #1)

Yeah, I should not have said normal woman. This model is based on this Georgous Thai girl that I knew from Graduate school. I will post a pic of her soon if anyone wants to see the rough reference.

I really do need to get these low poly. This is my first game attempt and I went way too high. Now I am trying to decide if I am going to start over on her, or finish this high version. Everytime I try and lower the count, I loose detail in the nose, cheeks etc. I try to keep it to min, but it seems to add up. More detail with maps and less with geo for my next one.

Thanks

metal me solid
12-02-2003, 01:53 PM
I don't believe that I am in the wrong area because of two reasons;1) I have read many discussions in the gaming forum here and many engines seem to accept this level (XBox, PC).

It doesn't matter if they can handle it, of course they can, but they wont be able to handle it when you got more of these models on screen, besides, you are using a lot of unessecary polys that could be removed changing nothing at all about the model.

2) I dumped what is there so far (I know it's not the whole thing) into the Unreal II engine and it ran fine on both my machines.

Not everyone has those specs, people are trying to make a game playable on the lowest system req's possible keeping the same detail and gameplay (of course you'll loose some on bad PCs)

bad reasons IMO, just try and optimize the model instead of wasting usefull poly's on areas you don't need em. Just remove some polys where you think you can, you don't have to start over to improve it :P

Also (ack, can't post images in this thread? =\) the nose seems a bit too steep/flat from the sideview, and you could definately remove a lot of polys from the ear and forehead.

Just keep improving ;)

kyuketsuki
12-02-2003, 03:55 PM
Well, I hate to admit it metal me solid, but I know you are right. I've read so much on engines and design that I knew that it was too dense, I just didn't want to admit it. ;)

Is there anyone that could give me some pointers of how exactly you would reduce the face while keeping the shape? I tried really hard to only put in what was needed and this is what I ended up with. Perhaps I am too anal with details. :(

I still think her nose is fine, here is a picture of my model (she is such a sweetie), I thought I kept to the shape well, maybe not. See what you think after seeing the photo. If everyone still thinks it's jacked, please tell me in what way so that I may correct it.

Sorry about all the lint in the picture, my cat slept on my camera case and I didn't know it until I got the slides done. :O

http://www.wdcenterprise.com/Current/Pha.jpg

Quizboy
12-03-2003, 02:16 AM
that girl is quite cute, although she looks a bit scared in this photo...

her face looks a bit rounder than your model, and the nose is certainly more outwardly pointing. On your model the nose is too parallel to the face.

but I have to say I think it's going great, your model has got hot quality to the face which is good. If I were you I'd just start over and make a new low-res version model, and finish this one off as the high-res version.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.