PDA

View Full Version : Soft bodies

Ricoelliott
08-29-2012, 11:28 PM
I've got a query regarding soft bodies in MAX. I'm trying to create the imprint of a simple character in a large mattress. The mattress then returns to its original shape.

I'm sure I read that this can be done using soft bodies but can't for the life of me remember how to do it, or how I would search for the technique.

Basically I'd like to be able to create imprints of objects the have the imprint decrease and have the object return to its original shape. Another example would be a character putting his/her face in a snowbank.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Luarasi73
09-22-2012, 10:37 PM
You can achieve soft body with the cloth modifier. Other than cloth you can simulate car crashes, ropes, and many other things. There is many free video tutorials on how to use cloth modifier.

MGernot
09-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Found this nice script at scriptspot:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/printer

Luarasi73
09-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Nice script, there was something similar about baking vertices with vol.select. But this script does only plastic deformations, whereas cloth dynamics can do elastic deformations. Cloth can be tedious, lots of tweaking. If this script was to be used for mattress deformation, it, best be done with the creation of morph target to animate the deformation and the return in the original position.

Ricoelliott
10-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Thank you for your help

x-tazy
11-06-2012, 09:54 AM
You can add a particle system to the coliding areas, then mesh these particles and use this for an volume select and then apply a push with some softselection and you got the system in generell. Then play around with a relax modifier to get all smoother and play with the lifetime and scale over age to get the effect blending back.
Or you can use a collision map as Displacement. If you use Snowprint Plugin for the Collision map you have the option to fade the collision out after a few frames.

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2012, 09:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.