PDA

View Full Version : lighting modeling demo reel

ilerchik
08-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Working on my modeling demo reel I am facing the question how to parent my lights and should I parent them at all?

For some reason I cannot come up with a good solution.

Lights light my turning character... so should I parent them to the camera, character itself, or not to parent them at all?

I am planning to have my character rotate, while camera moves around capturing my character from interesting angles.

Thanks in advance :)

balistic
08-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Having the model rotate AND the camera move almost seems like it would be too much going on for a modeling reel, in my opinion, but maybe you've tested it and it looks good. In that case, I would almost suggest keeping the lights totally stationary (relative to the world). Rather than moving the lights to illuminate all the interesting parts of your model, since your model is moving anyway, you might as well rotate the model to take advantage of the stationary lights.

Just my thoughts. You could always try it a few different ways and do OpenGL previews to see what looks best.

ilerchik
08-30-2012, 01:00 AM
The reason why I chose to move camera around in this case is because this particular character requires a turntable.At least I think it does (it is a mechanical dragonfly with six legs that can't just hang in the air...)

So I am trying to light it as simple as it can possibly be done. I am worried about the rim light. It worries me because I was taught that rim light is a mandatory,but if my camera moves rim light cannot serve it's purpose...

Panupat
08-30-2012, 02:49 AM
Usually you want to keep your light and camera static. Give your model a nice base to stand on and rotate them.

ilerchik
08-30-2012, 05:52 PM
The solution is to fully animate the scene first and then worry about the lights! It all will make sense after it is animated :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2012, 05:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.