PDA

View Full Version : mercury branding

JONO
12-01-2003, 09:57 PM
hi

i need to create a logo branding animation of some droplets of mercury rollong into one and morphing into the logo of a company.

it seems that metaballs are not used at all anymore and so i guess ill use particles but can anybody describe how they would go abou this project. i want to think over questions like how to deform the particles so it looks like its rolling on the ground and how to take a messy grouping of joined mercury particles and morph them into a clean logo.

would one bridge brom particles to a modellled logo or use an unseen mold to control the particle with motion designer. if that doesnt make sense its because i dont have a clue !?!?!?!?

please help

leigh
12-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Hey Jon, haha sorry to do this in your thread (since it has nothing to do with your question), but I thought I'd take the opportunity to say that the reason I haven't called you is because I've had no calltime on my phone (as usual), and when you called on Saturday I was in noisy, crowded Greenpoint Stadium for the 46664 concert (you missed out on a BRILLIANT show), so I didn't hear the damn thing ringing! (Not that I ever hear it ringing anyway... I seriously need to get one of those vibrating phones one of these days so I'll stop missing damn calls!!!!)

I'll try and call you soon... I have ten billion and one things to do at the moment though :argh:

aurora
12-01-2003, 11:13 PM
Let me get this straigh. You want mecury drop shapped objects to flow together on a surface, like a table, to form the final logo in a liquid like manner correct? First thing I have to say is that this is easy to do with Realflow. Second you most likely don't have Realflow nor any intent to buy it. Give me a day or two and I'll see if I can't work something out. I have been gone for a week so I have a few billion things I have to take care of first but I have wanted to try something like this with a more fluidic motion.

SplineGod
12-01-2003, 11:18 PM
Hi Jono,
You dont need particles to do it. Theres a couple of quick ways and both are based on using textures.
1. Use textures to displace your geometry to form a bump. The same texture can also act as an alpha so the displaced geometry can have different surface attributes (like looking like mercury).

2. Apply HVs to your surface and give them mercury like surface attributes. Use textures to turn the HVs on or off in the size channel.

HEREs (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/waterdrop.mov) a quickie example.

JONO
12-02-2003, 05:27 PM
thanks spline god.
those sound like two excellent techniques. it never dawned on me just to make the surfe hypervoxel. that is so cunning you could stick a tail on it and calll it a fox !

well, aurora - what can you come up with - i feel greedy with newly gained knowledge !!

jeremyhardin
12-02-2003, 05:42 PM
this might help. i think it's pretty much what splinegod said.

http://www.3dfightclubforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1593

SplineGod
12-02-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by JONO
thanks spline god.
those sound like two excellent techniques. it never dawned on me just to make the surfe hypervoxel. that is so cunning you could stick a tail on it and calll it a fox !

well, aurora - what can you come up with - i feel greedy with newly gained knowledge !!
Youre more then welcome. Once you think about that technique it opens up a lot of possibilies. I love the fact that LW allows textures to control many things. :)

AndrewE
12-02-2003, 10:39 PM
Isn't that the beauty of LW?

I love LW for that simple reason, textures can control almost everything, and that the texture assigning is easy!

aurora
12-03-2003, 09:38 PM
JONO, sorry I have not forgotten you. I have been so incredibly busy this week I just have not had time to put anything together.
Have you figured out how to do this using textured displacement like Larry mentioned? Theres a reason why theres a 'God' associated with his user name! Its a great way to accomplish this task plus as has been stated once learned it leads to whole new area of possiblities. If you would like an alternative method let me know and I should be able to put something together for you tomorrow.

AndrewE
12-04-2003, 04:53 PM
Having seen this topic it gave me inspiration to try it myself for our team logo.

At my college we break up into design groups, in these design groups we make games, and e-learing products. These products are necessary for us to graduate.

I would like to try to do the same thing to make like a liquid metal form together to make a gear shape and then the gear POPS! out of the metal and bounces like a quarter coming to it's rest posistion.

I'm thinking that would be cool.

But anyways, yeah, keep this going, this could be helping more than just one person.

jeremyhardin
12-04-2003, 05:42 PM
Jono, any progress?

JONO
12-04-2003, 06:31 PM
howdy !
thanks all for the feedback on this.

jeremyhardin - no i have not even started yet. im crunching on another project but i looked at the link on 3dfightclub that is found in this thread and explains the tecjnique spline God has described. i looks great.

so... i will try it as soon as i catch a break which will be next week.

aurora - yes, please do show another technque if you have one ause it is always handy to know a multitude of tricks.

AndrewE - good luck, im sure it will come out great. there is something super cool about liquid metal. i guess we all link it to terminator and that was the epitimy of cool.

chow

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.