PDA

View Full Version : Studying in Germany

mastertsif
08-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Hello. Before I get started I think I shuld introduce myself. My name's Angelo, I'm 16 years old and I live in Greece. I started working in 3D software since last year and after a lot of thinking and searching I found out that there is no university in Greece that can help me get ready on working on the production pipeline. So I thought that my only chance is to study abroad. Initialy I was thinking about England which has some great universities but unfortunately I cannot afford the tutition fees, so I thought about studying in Germany. I'm thinking about sculpting organic models or something like this. I know some Maya and ZBrush stuff. All I want from someone is to tell me if a university exists in Germany and if yes, please tell me its name and I can find out more info by myself. I know English and German so language would not be a problem. Thank you for your time. I appriciate that.

floei
08-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Hi, I'm studying right now in Germany and I come to the universities later.
But first you should know, that there is no good reason to study for getting Software skills. If you want to learn new modelling techniques, Sculpting or Something similar, Just do Tutorials, in all the free german Universities, nobody will tell you how to become a "Button Clicker"

If you want to become an animator, best choice is Animation Mentor, because of the brilliant mentors, of course there are high fees, but everybody knows AM so it's kind of a Job Insurance.

The first adress if you want to head into the Business is the Filmakademie Baden Würtemberg in Ludwigsburg Germany, there you are studying 5 years, I think 3 Years fundamental Film Studies, abnd then 2 years project Studies where you produce Animated Movies, if you want an excelent example check the FMX Trailer of 2012 brilliant work done by the students. But you should know it's quiet tough to get in there, they accept I think 8 Students each Year (not Semester).

In Stuttgart there is the Stuttgart Media School (www.hdm-stuttgart.de) But there you don't really learn something 3D Specific, more a fundamental overview study about Film in General, but you are able to produce 2 Studio Productions, that are one-semester works.

Those are the both I know, but there is the KHM in Cologne with an animation course, in Mainz there is a multimedia Course where good works come from and yes... But if you are talented enough take the chance and try to get into Filmaka

Yours Flo

mastertsif
09-03-2012, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the response. I know AM and I have seen beatiful work but I'm not going for animation. I know that if I want to learn a program I will have to do this alone and I've already got lots of tuts and I'm trying on my own. Just wanting to hear some universities that will give me some fundamental general skills that will help me get professional. I think the fact that I started at 16 with 3D will help me but I will do my best! Thanks again for the info!

PS: One more question. Filmakademie is considered public college? I can't find fees and tutition costs...

floei
09-09-2012, 04:58 PM
yes its public, so the fees will be about 100-200€ per semester so 200-400 per year, not to much ;-)

katisss
09-12-2012, 02:45 PM
But admission is rather competitive.

mastertsif
09-12-2012, 05:01 PM
I can afford that in contrast with the 20.000 pound in England! :p

scrimski
09-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Just wanting to hear some universities that will give me some fundamental general skills that will help me get professional.Skills in what area what exactly?

But admission is rather competitive.Very likely. I applied for the animation course at HFF Potsdam and there were 250+ applicants for 12 places. Don't know the numbers for Filmakademie but it's probably around the same.

mastertsif
09-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Specially in Modelling/sculpting but I think general knowledge in art and 3D would help much more. Learning a software like ZBrush will take some time but I am capable of learning it alone.

leigh
09-12-2012, 05:49 PM
yes its public, so the fees will be about 100-200€ per semester so 200-400 per year, not to much ;-)

I believe they also fund student films. A friend of mine went to Filmakademie and him and his companions in his project group were all sent to New York to film stuff for their final project. I was pretty amazed when he told me, as I think it's incredible that a school would support its students to that extent.

scrimski
09-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Specially in Modelling/sculpting but I think general knowledge in art and 3D would help much more. Learning a software like ZBrush will take some time but I am capable of learning it alone.
I don't think any uni or college will do software related courses only though, but have lessons as parts of their curriculum. For instance animators and set design students at HFF Potsdam can take lessons in Nuke or Maya.

I believe they also fund student films. A friend of mine went to Filmakademie and him and his companions in his project group were all sent to New York to film stuff for their final project. I was pretty amazed when he told me, as I think it's incredible that a school would support its students to that extent.
Film schools do that kind of thing within a certain budget, sometimes they collaborate with public broadcast channels. A director I work with went to the Easter Island during his studies and it wasn't even his diploma.

katisss
09-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Some people try to get in for several years so maybe dont make it your only option to be in the lucky 5% of applicants that make it.

moidphotos
09-13-2012, 11:36 PM
I can afford that in contrast with the 20.000 pound in England! :p

Are you aware that you don't need any money to study in the UK if you are an EU citizen? The course cost and usually a maintenance loan for rent / living are loaned to you, you only start to pay them back once you earn over £21,000 a year in the UK. And if you leave the UK our government doesn't have anyway of forcing you to repay the loan...

leigh
09-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Are you aware that you don't need any money to study in the UK if you are an EU citizen? The course cost and usually a maintenance loan for rent / living are loaned to you, you only start to pay them back once you earn over £21,000 a year in the UK. And if you leave the UK our government doesn't have anyway of forcing you to repay the loan...

I hate to sound like a stick-in-the-mud, but as a UK tax payer I kinda resent your suggestion to essentially take advantage of public funding here and then never bother to pay it back.

It's also a little unethical, in my view, for you as an instructor at an educational institution to even suggest this to a student.

:-/

mastertsif
09-14-2012, 06:09 PM
I didn't know of that possibility. Thanks for the info. I will do some more searching and hopefully I will find something. Thanks again for all of your answers! :thumbsup:

moidphotos
09-14-2012, 11:12 PM
I hate to sound like a stick-in-the-mud, but as a UK tax payer I kinda resent your suggestion to essentially take advantage of public funding here and then never bother to pay it back.

It's also a little unethical, in my view, for you as an instructor at an educational institution to even suggest this to a student.

:-/

Well as a UK tax payer myself, I think our government shouldn't be so stupid as to instigate a policy that penalises education and learning in the UK, and from an ethical point of view I firmly believe in a completely free high education system - when I was a student (admittedly a long time ago) higher education was completely funded by the tax payer, at no cost to the student, which is how in my opinion it should be. My taxes should pay for those younger than me to study, just as those who are older than me paid for the cost of my studying.

Graduates go on to pay much more money in the form of taxes throughout their careers than most non graduates ever do, so it makes sense (economically at least, if we must sink to that level) to encourage those who wish to study at university to do so, because whatever the cost in the short term is out weighed by the long term benefits to the economy. Personally I believe that those who want to study at university should do so - an uneducated mind is a terrible crime, a waste of great potential.

Many posters further above this post have mentioned studying at the excellent Film Akademie Baden-Wurttemburg in Germany; a course that is completely free to any applicant from any country in the world and solely funded by the German tax payer. Would you see any non German student studying there as being guilty of unethical behaviour for enjoying the education that has been paid for by the German public?

If you spoke to many UK lecturers you would find very, very few who agree with the government's policies on how Higher Education should be funded, and as I have my own mind and am not controlled by government policy, I am free to say what I like :)

leigh
09-14-2012, 11:36 PM
I agree that education should be free, but that's sadly not how things are right now. And after seeing the kids rioting over the terrible fee increases and such over the last few years, seeing them getting themselves into debt for years on end, I find it more than a little distasteful to see someone here, who is representing a UK educational institution, suggesting that someone essentially come along and cheat the system while everyone else bleeds to pay their fees. Because the fact is that someone has to pay that bill, and it's not just you and me, but all those thousands of British students who are getting themselves into debt. They will be paying for someone else's fees while they pay back their own plus interest. We are all covering the bills for those who cheat. Whether a system is fair or not is not the issue here; if we all just did what we wanted to, regardless of the law, there'd be chaos.

In an ideal world, the government would be subsidising education, but since that's not the case, we don't really have a choice but to stick to the current system. This country just pissed £9b down the drain on a glorified tribal stick-throwing contest while they deny people in wheelchairs benefit payments, and with winter coming you know you're going to start hearing about the pensioners who need to choose between food and heating because their measly pensions can't cover both. The point is that right now this country needs all the public money it can get. It does not need people cheating the system, because right now, we are not a rich country.

I wonder, do you think the University of Hertfordshire would be happy to see one of their representatives suggesting to a prospective student, on a public international forum, that they cheat the UK government and tax payer out of money? If you truly believe that what you're suggesting is not unethical, I assume you'd have no issue if I contacted your employer and showed them this thread?

leigh
09-14-2012, 11:43 PM
And incidentally, your comparison to the German school is utterly irrelevant. Of course it's not unethical there, because their government allows it on account of the fact that they subsidise education there. The UK government, on the other hand, expects the money to be paid back, while you're suggesting this student simply skips the country to evade the debt.

How you thought that was a relevant comparison to make is a mystery to me.

mastertsif
09-15-2012, 06:04 AM
Here in Greece we live the same (and worse) drama because of some people (well a lot of people) cheating the systems for over a decade and now I am forced to get abroad to make my living because even if I study in the best university in Greece I will not be able to find a job.. That's why I'm looking abroad to study. That's what makes me sad and agry.

drpaneas
09-29-2012, 05:55 PM
FilmAkademie at Baden-Wutterberg includes the Animation Institute (http://www.animationsinstitut.de/studium/struktur-und-inhalte.html), which is a great place to continue or start your studies.

First off you need to demonstrate excellent knowledge of German language, and secondly have powerful portfolio to get yourself jumped in FMX. I would recommend you to buy/download some online courses and keep practising on your own.

Sad but true, Greece is rotten place for young people. It's a country killing their children and new generation. Go away and save yourself.

Καλή τύχη Άγγελε

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2012, 05:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.