PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 356b, Pandras (3D)

pandras
12-01-2003, 09:21 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/28764/Porsche356B_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/28764/Porsche356B.jpg)

Hi. This is my 3 Porsche 356Bs. Done with Lightwave and Photoshop.

I modelled it mostly with nurbs, and some parts polygonally (such as the tires and the windscreen wiper).
I didn't use HDRI. I've taken some shots from the street, then I edited and mapped them on primitives.
I've rendered separately the reflections (fresnel and normal), the diffuse, and the shades for the environment, so it was fun to composite it, that's why I have so many versions.

Couldn't decide about the color.

Here's a white,

a black,

http://images.render.hu/img/6227.jpg

a red one

http://images.render.hu/img/6228.jpg

and finally the pure model.

http://images.render.hu/img/6229.jpg

Thank you for your attention, C&C are welcome.

I was Andrew from Budapest, Hungary

Supervlieg
12-01-2003, 10:02 PM
Great work, I like the model a lot. You did a great job recreating it. I like the way you can see the weight of the car on the tyres.

would prefer the red one by the way.

I also like the way you edited it in the picture. One thing though. You could a very little Depth of Field effect to make it blend in more with the picture.

Good stuff!!

Where is the inside by the way? I dont see any chairs!

graffb
12-01-2003, 10:06 PM
Very nice and precise job!
Please post wireframe and back view render. thx

opendesigner
12-01-2003, 10:07 PM
WOW Great work......me too I prefer the red one!!!

Keep up the great work!!!

open

leigh
12-01-2003, 10:13 PM
Excellent work, superb modelling :) I like the top one the best (the white one), that colour is always great on classic cars.

I modelled it mostly with nurbs, and some parts polygonally (such as the tires and the windscreen wiper).

Don't you mean subdivision patches? LightWave doesn't have NURBS.

God job with the compositing, it looks great. Only gripe is that their seems to be no interior modelled (seats, etc).

I've plugged this one on the front page, really cool work :)

LittleFenris
12-01-2003, 10:20 PM
From what little I let load of those pics, the renders are amazing. Nice model. But man, I got tired of waiting for these things to load and I'm on a highspeed DSL connection. :shrug:

oxhido
12-01-2003, 10:23 PM
wow!

white then red

ivan.oxhido

aenema
12-01-2003, 10:34 PM
wow, very photorealistic, I could easily mistake this as a photograph. Great job, I didn't notice the lack of an interior at first, I was marveling over the exterior

pandras
12-01-2003, 10:42 PM
I used "subdivided polygons / metaform" to be exact.

The car doesn't really have a full interieur (only driving wheel+rear view mirror+upper body of the seats). But the parts that you could see from the view of the camera are there.

I've created this model at least a year ago, and I haven't finish it. Then one day walking around the city, while taking photos of some buildings for school (i'm learning to be an architect), I found this nice little wall in this nice little street, and I thought it would be a great place for my porsche. So I took the photos, created the environmet, and finished the model (only the parts that are visible from the view of the camera). Of course the car has a back and a basic interieur, but I wouldn't be proud of it.

The whole picture from finishing the model to compositing was done for this very scene.

blindsleeper
12-01-2003, 10:45 PM
well its a great model incredible work, but these have got to be some of the slowest loading pictures ever

azazel
12-01-2003, 10:52 PM
This looks very nice. Blending with bg is almost perfect... except the car is tad too crisp. Not that it's very important, everything looks nice.

halo
12-01-2003, 10:56 PM
yeh they are slow to load...but worth it...only crits without looking at the reference is they seem almost too reflective and a bit too sharp compared to the bg photo, perhaps a little noise and a tiny amount of blur would cure that, but they look good all the same, especially the reflections which work well, they look as good as hdri. Perhaps the tyres seem a little too grey as well.

red one is my fave ;)

WChestnutt
12-01-2003, 10:57 PM
WOW!!!! amazing work man!!!! first rate!!

Terminal24
12-01-2003, 11:12 PM
ever heard of jpeg compression? that image took about as long to load as it probablt took to render! (on DSL too!)

aside from that, its a little too sharp to look real. very nice all the same, I know a lot of work goes into this sort of thing

Bliz
12-01-2003, 11:15 PM
Red, then white then black though they are all extremely nice renders.
They look very realistic as they are but if you wanted to go that little bit further, here's what I would 'try' and do.

The tyre rubber colour seems a bit too 'grey' especially when you compare it to the albeit modern day tyres on the van behind.

Ferdinand himself would be proud of the build quality of that car. Maybe you could subtly shift some of the parts around to add imperfections in the fit. The hood/bonnet is perfectly fitting when in real life getting a large panel to fit into a void that size, perfectly is very, very hard.

Add some wear or grime into the recesses of the chrome wheels. Even if they were perfectly polished everyday a build up of dirty polish would occur in the extreme recesses.

Add some stickers in the corner of the windscreen. In the UK we have a tax disk, maybe you have something equivilent?

And finally, consider adding a slightly battered number plate to the front of the car. I suppose this is a taste issue as it's not a legal requirement in all countries for vehicles to have a front numberplate.

All in all though - excellent work :beer:

Psybah
12-01-2003, 11:30 PM
Excellent work.
this picture would fool just about anyone if they were looking at it. My only critique would be subtle noise and depth of field. Also the silouette of the reflection coming from the opposite side of the street is a straight line. This kinda gives the feeling of the car being in a set, as opposed to being on a street. Minor, I know, but realism is def. in the subtleties. Again, Excellent work.

bustasnipe
12-01-2003, 11:47 PM
wow.. thats amazing. the car is a touch too reflective.. feels like its in a show room. excellent work though.

Zaphod1
12-02-2003, 12:05 AM
[X] WHITE one looks best imho

image is almost perfect, apart from the little aliasing on the crome at the window, maybe the one guy is right with the depht of field, and i`d add a few, very subtle dirt textures and scratches.

amazing work! :buttrock:

RudeYuut
12-02-2003, 12:16 AM
Amazing job man, I like the black one the best, looks more realistic. One thing though, maybe you could dirty up the wheels to make it blend more in to the enviroment and darken the shadow under the car, little bit more noise and DOF. You can see the difference opposed to the van. Other than that, I love it. Lates.

AniMo
12-02-2003, 12:35 AM
great modelling
just 2 tings i wanna mention
the car-window seems to have a sort of refraction
and i find it too strong (maybe my eyes need glassesX_X)
the refelection on the tires are to clean u will never find a wheel where u can watch in the refelction more far than 1 meter from the tire :) caused of dof in reflections
and in your case i can watch the whole envirment like a big mirror

though goood stuff:thumbsup:

Nikos
12-02-2003, 12:45 AM
Wow!
You've done an excellent job on the surfacing. The headlights are spot on as well and I really like the background, althought its not CG. This is definitely one for the gallery! :)

Frenchy Pilou
12-02-2003, 12:58 AM
All is perfect except this hideous free publicity for C..on :cry:
In any case superb work!:applause:
Pilou

rexfang
12-02-2003, 01:11 AM
it's AWSOME dude!! :thumbsup:

TimC
12-02-2003, 01:14 AM
Nice render and some good compositing there, but I think that the shadow really let's it down, it doesn't composite with the floor at all and looks very cg (being very critical..great work!)

TimC

Izu
12-02-2003, 01:24 AM
really nice model.... only bad comment i got is about the tires....the texture is well not up to the rest of the cars standard..

other then that..pretty damn nice.. :thumbsup:

MSmith
12-02-2003, 01:36 AM
Wow looks real....

good job man:beer:

gsuhy
12-02-2003, 02:05 AM
As already mentioned - excellent job!

Only crits: rubber on tires too gray (should match the van's darkness values)... and maybe just a few smudges or fingerprints on that fine paint job since it's inevitable when driving it out of the garage ;)

l3d_davi
12-02-2003, 02:22 AM
cool i love shader york realy impressive :):thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MDB101
12-02-2003, 02:39 AM
Exellent car dude :)

But one thing you didint add, Tire Valves, its a really nice relaistic car, however there lil thing about those tire valves adds the more realistic value to it :) anyhoo keep it going!

Kirt
12-02-2003, 03:01 AM
interior ? bah! - the Porsche 356B interior sits low. You shouldn't be able to see it from this view.

http://www.motormagazinesha.co.jp/medialog/bn_browser/img/porsche356b350x216.jpg

Freakin' cool car and a very awesome model of it. Nice job! :beer:

eburdeinick
12-02-2003, 04:22 AM
NICE CARS !!! I'LL TAKE ALL OF'EM !!!:)
CHEERS !!!

Joss
12-02-2003, 04:35 AM
I prerfer the black one. You see, I fell in love with black from the 1985 movie Better Off Dead. Yeah, it was that black SS Camaro that did it for me. :scream:

vrf
12-02-2003, 05:04 AM
Wonderful compositing. The noise from your digicam (and thus the lack of noise in the car) is the only thing that really gives this one away. Too bad you couldn't mount your camera on a tripod so you could use the lowest (cleanest) ISO setting.

I think you should ignore the comments here calling for more "depth of field." (They probably mean you should make the background blurry, which is actually "less" depth of field.) Looking at the BG photo, it's clear that the lens was stopped down enough so that everything from front to back is in focus. You don't want to make anything blurry on the car render. It would look fake, and might make your car look like a toy.

In my opinion, your method of mapping photos to primitives seems to work better than HDRI. Theory seems good, too, from what I understand. It would allow you use lights with brightness values greater than the pure white found in an HDRI.

PedramK
12-02-2003, 05:59 AM
add the reflection of the cameraman on the car and everyone'll think its a photo ;)

:thumbsup:

wgreenlee1
12-02-2003, 06:08 AM
need to put these on a faster sever ...or something....:surprised

pandras
12-02-2003, 06:17 AM
Thank you for your comments.

Sorry for the slow server, it's hungarian and works fine here.
I can't really put that material up elsewhere. But if I could, can someone tell me how to edit the Threadstart?

pandras
12-02-2003, 06:27 AM
BTW, I would really appreciate if somebody could upload these pics on a fast server (then telling me how to edit the thread).
Thanks

blindsleeper
12-02-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Joss
I prerfer the black one. You see, I fell in love with black from the 1985 movie Better Off Dead. Yeah, it was that black SS Camaro that did it for me. :scream:
Lol man its been forever since the last time ive seen that movie...

graffb
12-02-2003, 07:14 AM
András: Esetleg mutasd meg a design21.hu-n is! :) Nagyon pöpec lett.

Artifex
12-02-2003, 07:24 AM
First of all great job. I prefer the white one, goes better with the style of the car and the overal color of your image.

Couple of crits:

I belive there is too much reflection on the car and weel cap. I think the car could win in realism if it would have more diversity in the reflection, places that reflect more and some less, depending how the car is dirty, because even out of the shop it cant be that clean.

You should use more bump on the wall added and model the hole for the door so it catches the lighting of the scene, it looks flat.

Might be an impression but something is off in the scaling of the textures of that wall...

:)

winberg
12-02-2003, 07:42 AM
Great work, the paint seems a bit too reflective, and the rims are not chrome as standard, they are painted in a silver paint...

The windshield looks a bit too curved to mee also.

Would love to see a "seagreen" one also..(then it would have the same color as mine :-))

-Tom

chaplin
12-02-2003, 07:49 AM
:bowdown: -- if anyone wants me to test drive the cars ill be more than happy

viper11885
12-02-2003, 07:57 AM
would it be possible if you could post these up on a faster server??

i saw 2 pics but can't seem to load the others as it takes a really long time..

but by the looks of it, you did an amazing job!

Idi
12-02-2003, 08:14 AM
yup that's the one!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Napa!m
12-02-2003, 08:15 AM
:beer:
very nice:applause:

irány a Choice Award :) .......ps.: Tedd ki az AP re is

diakonas
12-02-2003, 08:15 AM
Absolutely fantastic! Great model, lightning and compositing as well. I could critique some details as a little decent noise for better settle into photo and turn tires more to black, but this are only minor thinks.
I cant decide, which pic is best - red one, white one?
I hope, some day I will drive this car - one of my favorite car at all

keep up great work!

- diak

(sorry for my poor english)

Sas.hun
12-02-2003, 08:22 AM
Woooooow!! :drool:

This is fantastic!!! Very nice work! :thumbsup: Congratulation!!!:beer:

Ebből award lesz :scream:

Garma
12-02-2003, 08:33 AM
hmm nice picture. The tires are too clean though, and also the car as a whole in comparison with the environment. I love the fake-hdri :bounce:

bastiaan
12-02-2003, 08:37 AM
it's an amazing car! :bowdown: but just one little critic.. it looks too realistic! maybe you can add just a little bit of durt or something too ad just that bit of realism...:arteest: but the question remains "What defines reality" blabla matrix

theresa johanss
12-02-2003, 09:51 AM
Great looking picture!

I would go with the red color, its goes well with the yellow wall and the blueish color on the ground and the door on the right side.

The only thing that you think of when you look at the pic is that if you look at the back of the van and the rest of the photo is that it has the typical "photograin" to it and makes the car not blend in to the photo.

Maybe the tires are way too clean...

Other then that it´s a great picture!

tess

needed
12-02-2003, 12:53 PM
beautiful pictures, congratulations ! i love the red one :) really nice ! really, really ! :)

pupii
12-03-2003, 02:28 PM
nagyon szépek. gratulálok.

pupi

egyébként meg a piros.

j3st3r
12-03-2003, 09:46 PM
Feher es piros...fantasztikus munka! Hajra!

Egyebkent mivel foglalkozol?

Udv,

(White and red...fantastic job! Keep on!

By the way what is your profession?

Salut)

j3st3r
12-03-2003, 09:46 PM
Feher es piros...fantasztikus munka! Hajra!

Egyebkent mivel foglalkozol?

Udv,

(White and red...fantastic job! Keep on!

By the way what is your profession?

Salut)

kueQ
12-04-2003, 09:28 AM
wow..man..that's looks real..... good job...
can you tell me how to render ?
did you use HDRI ???? or something????

Copyright
12-05-2003, 09:29 PM
just one word ~~ Great :thumbsup:

Tilstrom
12-06-2003, 07:48 AM
Brilliant work! :D

BAJAMAN
12-07-2003, 10:07 AM
Hi,

I happen to own one of those cars, a 356B-T6, I must say that the modeling is VERY nice, however, the body is not entirely correct. Especially the top of the doors.
I have made multiple attempts to model the car myself, it has some pretty tricky curves. I ordered a blueprint poster from the 356registry talklist (www.356registry.org (http://www.356registry.org)) a year or 2 ago and started from that. I lost my work a few times, it's currently my 7th attempt to remodel it, however, school demands most of my time right now.

Very nice modeling job, and EXTREMELY nice shaders too!

PS: can we see a rear view?

RedMaxX
12-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Which software did you use for rendering?

snovak
12-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Man O man that's nice. Great job with the model.. **chanting** "WIRE FRAME WIRE FRAME..." I'd have to say that the white is my fav. I feel with the reflection, it blends the best into it's environment. I definitely would have thought that was photograph if I were to see it somewhere other than this thread. :applause:

LowJacK
12-11-2003, 01:33 AM
I would love to see a tutorial on what you did for textures, lighting, the whole HDRI process and the final composite and colour correction. This is amazing work!

ghogh
02-05-2004, 12:43 AM
That is a very nicely modeled Porsche "tub". I really like your work.

The only 'inconsistency' is the late model, 356-C hubcaps (characteristic of the caliper brakes of that type) on a T-5 body form (early, drum brake) 356-B. That body style also had side 'vent' windows rather than the Pre-A and A style single window in the door. The front brake cooling opening above the bumper is properly placed, but the ones below the bumper are missing.

I've an Ivory white Pre-A 356 Porsche 1955 'Continental' coupe
http://356motorcitiesgruppe.com/members/BradRichards/MCG_338_5833.jpg

and a Signal red 1964 356-C Cabriolet in my Porsche stable.
http://356motorcitiesgruppe.com/members/GottfriedHogh/GH_246_6897.jpg

These types are on either side of the 1960 356-B you model.

Cheers,

maxmanjake
02-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Excellent model! It's good to see more 'old school' car models out there. Seems there is a lot of F&F types nowadays.

DoLeeP
02-12-2004, 11:43 PM
I like it alot and ur work brilliant:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mrtew
04-29-2004, 12:03 AM
How did you get the door cuts to look stamped into the metal so perfectly rather than just cut out! Please do tell! Brilliant!

Bolicious
04-30-2004, 11:08 PM
Very impressive!

doublerr
07-09-2004, 09:56 AM
its so realistic! :thumbsup:
i wonder how can i do tat....

attila
10-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Excellent realism! I like this car on this hungarian dirty street! :)

5stars!

hitch
08-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Fantastic job.

Did you use native Lightwave renderer, or some third-party plug-in?

Please let me know, thank you.

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2006, 07:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.