PDA

View Full Version : THE HOBBIT looking more and more likely

RobertoOrtiz
12-01-2003, 09:06 PM
From Cinescape:
"Before director Peter Jackson began filming his LORD OF THE RINGS movies in earnest, he was asked what the likelihood would be of also making a live-action adaptation of THE HOBBIT, J.R.R. Tolkien's prequel to the trilogy. At the time Jackson wasn't interested, instead preferring that if a film were to be made of THE HOBBIT it would be better suited for someone else to make.

Now it seems that Jackson has started to warm up to the idea. Speaking with News Interactive (and reported via Sci Fi Wire), Jackson has officially gone on the record and said that he wants to do the movie. "Certainly if they want to talk to me about it, I'd be keen. It would be wonderful to complete the set of films," the director told the news service. "

>>Link<< (http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=40294)

-R

PS After the sucess of LOTR triology....well DUH!

Supervlieg
12-01-2003, 10:08 PM
DUH indeed.

Andimation
12-01-2003, 10:54 PM
I really hope jackson does make a film adaptation of the hobbit. Its is my favorite book. And it would be much better if jackon directed the film (most likely films) rather than someone else. Cos then the films would have a similar style and would fit better as a whole with the LOTR Trilogy...

And then we get to see more gollum :bounce:

leigh
12-01-2003, 10:54 PM
I think that The Hobbit will be tricky to bring to the screen. That is because it has some strange contrasts, like trolls with names like Tom and Harry (or whatever their names where, can't remember offhand) while you have similar type creatures (orcs and goblins) forming armies and killing. It works really well on paper, but I think it'll be a challenge to create cinematically.

Then again, Peter Jackson surprised a lot of people by making Lord of the Rings, when it has long been said that making that book into a film is impossible.

I know I'd personally love to see a great screen adaptation of The Hobbit. The escape from the lake town in the barrels and the battle of 5 armies are two things I'd love to see on screen. And then there is old Smaug... mmmm a visual feast I think :drool:

t-toe
12-01-2003, 11:52 PM
well, my guess is Jackson would take some time and kinda revise the story of the Hobbit a bit to reflect the more fleshed-out version of the universe Tolkien created for the trilogy. he knows just how to revise a story while remaining true to the spirit of the original material.

Peter Reynolds
12-02-2003, 03:27 AM
It would be great if PJ and WETA did it.

You can imagine there are probably more than a few less able producers, directors and execs that would like to do a quick cash in on what has been achieved by PJ and WETA.

The Hobbit is a story that deserves to be told well.

Does anyone know who actually has the rights?

jason-slab
12-02-2003, 05:26 AM
would be great if it was totally cg!!

RobertoOrtiz
12-02-2003, 06:56 AM
Quote:
"But even as 100,000 fans celebrated the world premiere of the final instalment in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Kiwi director Peter Jackson was fighting with the estate of Rings author JRR Tolkien.

Tolkien's estate is refusing to allow Jackson - tipped to win this year's Best Director Oscar - to create a Rings museum in Wellington.

Wrangles with the late author's family have marred the $4.7 billion-earning film trilogy, to the immense frustration of Jackson and Hollywood studio New Line Cinema. He wants to save the thousands of swords, suits of armour, costumes and sets used in the films in a museum but the estate's custodian Christopher Tolkien, who has refused to endorse the movies, won't give permission.

"The difficulty everybody has is the Tolkien estate," Jackson said.

"The problem is always a legal one. New Line Cinema don't have the legal authority to allow (the museum) to happen. That's kept by the Tolkien estate, and so the Tolkien estate so far have refused."

If he can't have a museum, Jackson wants a bronze statue of the film's characters in Wellington to thank the people of New Zealand for their support - and the $NZ300 million ($265 million) tax break they gave the producers. "We have appealed to (the Tolkien estate) at various times to do something for the community but they keep saying no," Jackson said.

New Line, which spent $US300million ($415 million) making the films, is already planning to continue its Rings success with an adaptation of Tolkien's novel The Hobbit.

More difficulties with the Tolkien estate were looming, said Jackson, who added that he would be keen to get involved after he finishes remaking King Kong in 2006. "New Line haven't actually talked to me about The Hobbit. I know there's difficulty about the rights, certainly if they want to talk to me about it I'd be keen," he said. "

>>Link<< (http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8040265%255E30977,00.html)

-R

PS One word...IDIOTS!!!!!

ACFred
12-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Last I heard, Saul Zaentz' company owned the rights to The Hobbit. Can't confirm that, though.

Alec

malducin
12-02-2003, 07:17 AM
Yes last time I've heard Saul Zaentz is still the big cheese of the rights.

Besides it's not a iven or simple duh!!! How many huge films had sequels planned that never materialized? Plenty, from Forest Gump to Roger Rabbit, Total Recall and many more. Even with the rights figured out films can get bogged down in development hell through script rewirites and negotiating until they have to be abandoned.

ambient-whisper
12-02-2003, 07:35 AM
If he can't have a museum, Jackson wants a bronze statue of the film's characters in Wellington to thank the people of New Zealand for their support - and the $NZ300 million ($265 million) tax break they gave the producers. "We have appealed to (the Tolkien estate) at various times to do something for the community but they keep saying no," Jackson said."

wow. the tolkein estate sure sound like a bunch of asses.

GRMac13
12-02-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper

Indeed. I wonder why they decided against endorsing the films? If anything they stimulated a whole new generation to get involved in the Tolkien universe. I'm sure books sales of LOTR, The Hobbit and The Simarillion, soared after the films were released.

janhath
12-02-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by stal3fish

Part of me wants this.But than another part wants both real life actors,etc,and a mix of CG.Either way bring the movie on.:beer:

pogonip
12-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Man the tolkien estate after all the money they have made wont give a little back to the people who have made them so much money...not just now but for a long time...Movies...dvd's...what ever comes after dvd's...tv for decades...etc etc..... well F___ them thats what I say...

:cry: which I could boycot return of the king ...but I cant... though I might not feel bad downloading it now :deal:

I think I might just tell them what a bunch of _____holes they are...I hope you will to :thumbsup:

Inquiries about rights to produce merchandise or services based on the artwork in the New Line Cinema film trilogy of The Lord of the Rings should be addressed to:

Director of Licensing
New Line Cinema
888 Seventh Avenue
New York, New York 10106
fax: 212.956.1941

Inquiries about rights to produce printed published matter based on non-film artwork should be addressed to:

Harper Collins Publishers
Attn: Permissions Department
77-85 Fulham Palace Road
Hammersmith
London W6 8JB
England
fax: 44.20.8307.4753

Other licensing inquiries can be submitted to Tolkien Enterprises, as follows:
Director of Licensing
Tolkien Enterprises
2600 Tenth Street
Berkeley, California 94710
fax: 510.486.2015
tolkien@fantasyjazz.com

cgman27
12-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Honestly, the last three posts are offensive.

Tolkien didn't write the books in Australia. Why should they be given the rights to his museum. They is a pretty ghey and money grubbing idea, and if they were into doing nothing then grabbing money themselves, they would green light the idea.

You people need to step back and realize. First thing is, these books were never intended to be the money generating, famous making vanues they have turned into. Go read about J.R.R's sentiments and statements on how he viewed the whole situation. I think the whole thing is a travesty.

Would I miss the movies, sure, to some degree, seeing as how they are inly 80% the real stories, and how everyone and their uncle who have only see the movies is an authority on what the books mean, and how the stories really are (I mostly ignore those asses). But to get all seething about the fact the foundation wouldn't like to make a shrine to J.R.R. in a country he never even went to.... ? don't seem right to me.

chrisWhite
12-02-2003, 07:33 PM
I'd also have to agree that the Tolkien company are being a little nasty, Jackson made the movies, he should at least be able to display all the things that went into making the movie great somewhere, and this sounds like a great way to thank NZ.

On a better note, hearing about any chance that Jackson would make the hobbit is cause to celebrate! :buttrock:

More Gollum :drool:
:buttrock: :buttrock:

Slurry
12-02-2003, 10:29 PM
cgman27, what does the location of the museum matter? Who cares if Tolkien never visited New Zealand. Does that mean they shouldn't have shot the movie there as well? Or perhaps they should only sell the books to places where JRR has visited?
Not sure about your logic.

I think it would be a shame that all the great work that artists poured into the making of props, sets, costumes, etc. would be lost if they destroy the movie memorabilia.
A museum would be a great way to preserve those items. Maybe a percentage of the admission into a museum could go to a local chartiy of the Tolkien Estate's choice.

Everybody wins.

~S

inx
12-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Hey cgman27 - its New Zealand, not Australia. I know its easy to confuse the two, but if in doubt, remember that New Zealand's the one not kissing George Dubbleyuh's butt.

And PJ - And here's a way for you to show your gratitute to the country - how about giving us the 300 million back? You've certainly made enough profit. No need to get permission from the Tolkien estate. Easy.

PhilOsirus
12-02-2003, 10:36 PM
I think YOUR post is more offensive. Yeah I never read the books and never will, but just because I've come to know LoTR through the movies doesn't give anyone else more "authority" over what the book "means" because they don't mean anything more than what they say.

malducin
12-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Well we don't know the exact circumstances or reasons for the Tolkien estate actions. They could have felt betrayed by all the rights and Hollywood negotiating or they way the films were interpreted.

Take Stan Lee for example, even though he cameoed and was credited for Spider-Man, the Hulk, and the other movies, he basicly was screwed over by Avi Arad and the whole Hollywood machine. He was a class act in handling the situation politely but that deoesn't deny how bad he was treated. Maybe something similar happen to the Tolkien estate.

cgman27
12-03-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Phil "Osirus"
I think YOUR post is more offensive. Yeah I never read the books and never will, but just because I've come to know LoTR through the movies doesn't give anyone else more "authority" over what the book "means" because they don't mean anything more than what they say.

exactly how would you know what they say if you never read them?

My logic is not flawed. Tolkein's main home turf is England. I would imagine any type of shrine or museum would first be discussed to be put there, not New Zeland.

They can make the movies in timbuktu, who cares, this is not about making a movie, it is about establishing a building, which is slightly more tangible than a movie. I would imagine they, the foundation, would like it closer to his home, if at all.

ambient-whisper
12-03-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by cgman27

My logic is not flawed. Tolkein's main home turf is England. I would imagine any type of shrine or museum would first be discussed to be put there, not New Zeland.

They can make the movies in timbuktu, who cares, this is not about making a movie, it is about establishing a building, which is slightly more tangible than a movie. I would imagine they, the foundation, would like it closer to his home, if at all.

yes but isnt the museum supposed to be about the props that were made for the movie? the estate didnt really have much to do with the creation of any of the actual items. tolkein wasnt around to supervise any of the props creations. so i dont see any reason why it should be in england.

they should just call it the weta workshop exhibit and go ahead with it anyway.

GRMac13
12-03-2003, 01:57 AM
I'm a bit confused here. Doesn't New Line own the rights to the LoTR films? If they do, how would making a museum dedicated to the artwork displayed in those films conflict with the Tolkien estate's rights to the literature? Maybe I just need some clarification as to how the whole "rights" system works in regards to a work of art and/or literature. Were New Line's "rights" to make the film limited in such a way that they are permitted only to display the work in public under the restriction that it's shown in film or video form and not physical? What about the "Sideshow/Weta" figurines, such as the Gollum statuette (who currently keeps guard upon my "precious" monitor)? Did Weta need to get explicit permission from the Tolkien estate to release this series of statuettes? Could someone with a good understanding of all of this please explain how this system works?

malducin
12-03-2003, 04:27 AM
It could be a similar situation to Star Wars. Anything new created by a Star Wars licensee is owned by Lucasfilm/George Lucas. The most classic example is stuff ike new ships in the Dark Horse comics, which are wned by Lucasfilm, even if they were totally designed (though inspired by the films) by the artist.

From what I remember Saul Zaentz own the actual movie rights, and he made a deal with New Line to make the films. If my memory is right, not even New Line has ultimate ownership of movie making rights, just Saentz. Saentz might also control the rights to merchandising based on the fim (like the Weta figurines),

Though I would love confirmation, this is part persoal speculation based on limited info.

jason-slab
12-03-2003, 06:13 AM
hmmm maybe the museum should be in south africa then, afterall he was born here:)

|jason

captives
12-03-2003, 09:09 AM
yeah and since we like renaming everything in this place to honour the dead good guys how 'bout

bloemfontolkien?

:scream:

jason-slab
12-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by captives
yeah and since we like renaming everything in this place to honour the dead good guys how 'bout

bloemfontolkien?

:scream:

LOL:applause:
we should put the idea forward, it might just work!!:surprised

stallion151
12-03-2003, 11:09 AM
yes but isnt the museum supposed to be about the props that were made for the movie? the estate didnt really have much to do with the creation of any of the actual items. tolkein wasnt around to supervise any of the props creations. so i dont see any reason why it should be in england.

they should just call it the weta workshop exhibit and go ahead with it anyway.

exactly. plus this thread was not about props in the first place, twas 'bout the wee hobbitssss.

Thalaxis
12-03-2003, 04:42 PM

And not for the first time... http://www.ironcrown.com/

The Tolkien Estate pretty much shut this company down, and
forced Mythic to delay the launch of The Dark Age of Camelot as a
result.

Valkyrien
12-03-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by stal3fish

ummm, methinks not...we still haven't gotten it down that well, the whole making realistic humans that move naturally, even with motion capture...

besides, we already have a Bilbo and a Gandalf, just cast some dwarves and get the hobbiton crew back together and you're all set!;)

Jamesh
12-03-2003, 08:23 PM
I hope this happens. Not only is the LOTR trilogy the best movies to come out in a while but 'The Hobbit' is a great story.

t-toe
12-03-2003, 08:45 PM
there are some other problems inherent in creating a Hobbit prequel as it were to the LOTR trilogy... that last post by Valkyrien brought it to my attention. In FOTR, we see Bilbo as a slightly younger hobbit, stumbling upon a ring. Ian Holm pulled it off very well, if you ask me, but only after a face-lift of sorts and dim lighting. not to mention that was shot almost four years ago now, and I'm sure he's even aged since then... they would probably have to cast a new, younger Bilbo, which would then conflict with the scene in FOTR with Ian Holm.

I really don't know how they would be able to get around that vital issue.

chrisWhite
12-03-2003, 09:03 PM
I think I could get over it not matching up seamlessly...:D

Spankspeople
12-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Hmm... Gloin was one of the dwarves who came with Gimli to the council of Elrond... they could recast him. And actually, they've already got an Elrond too.

And I think that Oin, the dwarf, was supposed to be the one who was keeping the diary in the mines of Mordor. They could cast the skeleton, heh.

They could possibly even work in a cameo for Legolas if they really wanted to, as (I think) he's from the tribe of wood elves who caught the dwarves in the first place.

I'm sure that Jackson would have no problem with casting on this one. and I'd love to see it. I do hope that they resolve the Tolkein estate problems... I also hope that someone else doesn't snatch it up and do a horribly butchered version... that would suck.

Virum
12-03-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by cgman27

The movie was made in New Zealand, the museum is only to hold the items used in the movie, nothing else. Why should it be built elsewhere? Using your same logic, this museum should be built in New Zealand since the movies weren't filmed anywhere else! This is not a shrine to Tolkien, its a shrine for the movies....

aurora
12-03-2003, 09:56 PM
As much as I would LOVE to see a production of the Hobbit. I would kill to see a production of the Silmarillion. That is one of my all time favorite books. However I don't think even the entire PJ crew could figure a decent why to put it all into one movie. Now an anthology series about an hour long for each story or so now there is something I wish some one would think about. Even then there are parts that would trying at best that is unless they were entirely CG.
So I wouldl be happy with a Hobbit production. I keep drooling at the thoughts of what they could do with Smaug after the wonderous treatment of the Balrog!

chrisWhite
12-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Yeah, do the Hobbit, then make the Simarillion a mini-series with the money they make. :bounce:

Valkyrien
12-03-2003, 11:47 PM
they should make 2 4-hour films for the hobbit...twas what they should've done for each of the three parts of LOTR, but obviously time and budget constraints got the best of that;)

gnarlycranium
12-04-2003, 02:14 AM
............If they'd done this one FIRST in the first damn place I might not have boycotted the trilogy. *would use the annoyed glowering smiley here, but can't cause somebody frikken stole it*

And Valkyrien, you're absolutely right. That's one of the OTHER reasons I boycotted the trilogy. The third is that I hate the casting, and the fourth is that the CG is way too obvious, just like in the new Star Wars stuff.

Valkyrien
12-04-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by t-toe
there are some other problems inherent in creating a Hobbit prequel as it were to the LOTR trilogy... that last post by Valkyrien brought it to my attention. In FOTR, we see Bilbo as a slightly younger hobbit, stumbling upon a ring. Ian Holm pulled it off very well, if you ask me, but only after a face-lift of sorts and dim lighting. not to mention that was shot almost four years ago now, and I'm sure he's even aged since then... they would probably have to cast a new, younger Bilbo, which would then conflict with the scene in FOTR with Ian Holm.

I really don't know how they would be able to get around that vital issue.

well, they somehow seem to have pulled off the transition to a new Dumbledor (however the hell you spell that) for HP3, so who knows....

RobertoOrtiz
12-11-2003, 09:32 PM
UPDATE!

Quote from AICN:

"Peter answered that by saying that New Line is very keen on wanting to do THE HOBBIT, but there are LEGAL ENTANGLEMENTS that are keeping it from happening. You see... NEW LINE has the rights to make a Movie from the book THE HOBBIT. However, UNITED ARTISTS/MGM apparently have the rights to distribute that movie. SO - why would New Line make Peter Jackson an offer to make a movie that they could not distribute. And why would MGM/UA make an offer to Jackson to distribute a movie they can not make? LIKE "SPIDER-MAN" and the rights issues that kept that in the hands of lawyers for two decades, this is the problem going on with THE HOBBIT."

>>link<< (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16638)

-R

leigh
12-11-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by aurora
As much as I would LOVE to see a production of the Hobbit. I would kill to see a production of the Silmarillion.

As much as I love the Silmarillion, I think it would bore people to tears as a film. And it would probably also be really, really hard (if not impossible) to actually make a decent film of it.

Thalaxis
12-11-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
As much as I love the Silmarillion, I think it would bore people to tears as a film. And it would probably also be really, really hard (if not impossible) to actually make a decent film of it.

Can't argue with that... in fact, when one of my friends and I were
talking on this subject, we ended up concluding that there are
some stories in there that could turn into entire films on their own.

Otherwise, it would end up being something like "22 Short Films
on Middle Earth". It works in the Simpsons, but... well, you get the
point :)

aurora
12-12-2003, 02:37 PM
Hey I have no problems watching a new movie from the Silmarillion every year for the next 10-30 years! Think of it as a new christmas edition. Even with that many they still would not catch up to the numerous Star Trek movies (LOL!)

igoraki
12-12-2003, 04:19 PM
I would kill to see a production of the Silmarillion.
me too.....i just love the elves.

ant-
12-13-2003, 12:33 PM
i am confused, only a few weeks ago I went to see an exhibition about the lord of the rings films in the london science museum, all the swords, and props and cloths were there, it strange the estate would have something against it being shown in new zealand, there is probebly more to this than meets the eye. I think the estate has been a little arrogant after the success of the movie, but i can understand it too, tolkien didn't want a film made, and was very angry about that cartoon version that was attempted. but tolkien never had the film rights, its usually the publisher of the books that keeps those so I expect thats the problem, however tolkiens grandson was actually in the two towers and didn't see a problem with it.

If you think about it, the estate probebly hasn't made much out of the films at all, the publishers will have made all the money.

and about the hobbit, i don't know where i heard it so no link i'm afraid, i just remember PJ i think said that the hobbits epic and twisting plot would suit a series of 1 hour storys much better than a big film. If they kept the quality high, a TV series of 10 or 12 episodes would be an epic. but the money they recieve back on that, i couldn't say if they could match the revenue from the films.

PhilOsirus
12-13-2003, 06:23 PM
It would generate plenty of money in DVD format afterward anyway:p

But if what you said is true, then Tolkien would have been pissed off at the changes PJ made in the movies. But if it wasn't for PJ I would have never enjoyed the LoTR trilogy, so I'm glad the movies were made as they were made:)

boboroshi
12-14-2003, 01:08 AM
I'd just like to see what could come out of the team on something like the Hobbit. Of course, I'd love to see Peter Jackson trackle the Chronicles of Narnia, but someone else already got that.

leigh
12-14-2003, 02:02 AM
As far as I know, it is Peter Jackson that is doing Narnia...

boboroshi
12-14-2003, 02:16 AM
http://www.narnia.com/movie/index.htm

It says it's teh SHrek director Andrew Adamson, unless there's been changes in the last 18 months (very possible)

malducin
12-14-2003, 04:30 AM
The confussion comes because apparently Weta was awarded the VFX contract of Narnia, even though PJ won't direct it.

SuperMax
12-14-2003, 09:22 AM
Could someone be nice enough to write a short summary of what The Hobbit is about?

I never knew the Lord of the Rings existed until the first movie came out. Ive heard of The Hobbit before, but the name didnt sound interesting.

Now i know about the LoTR and Know what the hobbits are, but whats the Book about?

They seem so simple and "boring" as in nothing much happens in hobbit land. And that comming from what ive seen in the first lord of the rings movie.

So Whats the book about? Any major battles happening? Anything that stands out? etc etc

Thalaxis
12-14-2003, 01:18 PM
"The Hobbit" portrays the story of how Bilbo came to be the
Ringbearer, and deals with all sorts of dangers including Gollum,
giant spiders, and a dragon.

That he had a grand adventure is mentioned in the Fellowship,
and there are also some allusions to his adventures, like when
Bilbo tells his story about the trolls.

aurora
12-14-2003, 02:48 PM
The one thing I'll add to Thalaxis very quick overview to better answer your question, OK make that two things. Bilbo is hired to go after a dragon who now resides in the Dwarves Hall. As to battles yeah theres a pretty major war after dealing with the dragon with 5 different armies (as in 5 different races.) Pretty cool!!!!! Plus a few other fun squirmeshes.

t-toe
12-14-2003, 03:26 PM
yeah, I'm sure they'll eventually work out the whole rights issue. and I can't wait for the production of The Hobbit.

as for The Silmarillian, it would definitely be impossible to make one movie based on that book. however, what I've always imagined was taking certain stories from that book and turning them into stand-alone movies. a lot of them are so jam-packed with information it would be fairly easy to generate enough material to fill at least two hours. and though I'm aware that Peter Jackson probably doesn't want to make LOTR films for the rest of his life, who's to say he can't serve as Producer/Executive Producer of the films and just sort of oversee their production?

(heck, maybe they'll even let me direct one someday... okay now I know I'm dreaming... hehe.)

Boone
12-14-2003, 06:39 PM
Regarding the Movies:

Peter Jackson has delivered. Any other director would have raped and pilaged the license. And I can tell you now - it would have been only one movie if anyother bugger got it...

The Hobbit CAN be made into a movie. It contains more events than a single episode of LOTR. Gollum, Shelob & loads of spiders, Gwagil & and the great Eagles, War of the Five armies, Trolls and the Fantastic yet spiteful Dragon - Smaug the Magnificent. Beat that for a line-up. You can't.

Regarding the issue of Peter Jackson and his Museum:

Why doesn't he make a "Weta Museum" for the props, minitures, costumes etc? The Tolkein estate doesn't need to be involved - Weta created them - if they have the rights for the Movie trilogy, then I assume they have the rights to their own props.

Regarding the issue surounding Peter Jackson:

I think what many don't like is that it is no longer "J.R.R Tolkien's LOTR" but "Peter Jackson's LOTR".

For many dedicated fans - Middle-earth is a place for new adventures for the imagination...the Movies "leave nothing to the imagination". So there is a little ill-feelings there...

Regarding my opinion of Peter Jackson's trilogy:

The new films are simply the best. No arguments there.

What does get up my nose about them is that next to nothing is said about Ralph Bakshi's 1978 version. It might just be me - but I feel that it served as a guide for the new films.

BillB
12-15-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Boone

What does get up my nose about them is that next to nothing is said about Ralph Bakshi's 1978 version. It might just be me - but I feel that it served as a guide for the new films.

A guide to how not to do it? :)
Only movie I ever fell asleep in, thought it was dreadful...

leigh
12-15-2003, 12:17 AM
Never mind the Hobbit...

Only 2 days til Return of the King!!!!

... sorry I just had to say that!!!

chrisWhite
12-15-2003, 12:49 AM
<shouting just ever-so-slightly lower then Leigh>

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Virum
12-15-2003, 01:01 AM
I'm going to Trilogy Tuesday (all three films in the theater, the first two the extended editions)

leigh
12-15-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Virum
I'm going to Trilogy Tuesday (all three films in the theater, the first two the extended editions)

Me too :buttrock:

:bounce:

Chris
12-15-2003, 01:32 AM
I just went & saw both extended versions at the Embassy, I'm all ready for RotK :buttrock: :buttrock: The extended versions of both first movies are I think far better than the release version, especially the second, theres a lot of stuff which explains the motivations behind a few key characters...

chrisWhite
12-15-2003, 01:35 AM
No Fare! I really wanted to go, but they sold out within the first minute that the theater was open the day the released them. At least I'll be there midnight...:cry:

boboroshi
12-15-2003, 01:48 AM
I'm watching them at home right now while running tutorials. then I'll go see the movie and sob how I didn't apply years ago to work on them.

ower
12-15-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by pogonip
Man the tolkien estate after all the money they have made wont give a little back to the people who have made them so much money...not just now but for a long time...Movies...dvd's...what ever comes after dvd's...tv for decades...etc etc..... well F___ them thats what I say... snip ....

Now granted copyright isn't something I am very knowledgeble about, but from my understanding Tolkien sold the rights to the LOTR stories, so wouldn't the owners of the copyright be the ones making all the money off the current success?

Valkyrien
12-16-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Virum

once all three extended cuts are out, a friend of a friend is renting a theater and a DVD projector...need I say more?:D

Boone
12-16-2003, 09:38 PM
I'm gonna see it tomorrow night!

I can't contain myself for the Shelob sequence!:bounce:

boboroshi
12-16-2003, 10:03 PM
they cut an hour and five minutes from ROTK and it's STILL 3 hours and 20 min.

talk about one heck of an extended version.

Valkyrien
12-17-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by boboroshi
they cut an hour and five minutes from ROTK and it's STILL 3 hours and 20 min.

talk about one heck of an extended version.

*drool* can't feckin wait for that....

about 15 minutes to go here on the east coast! Wish I didn't have a chemistry exam in the morning, or I'd so be at the theater right now:(

Boone
12-18-2003, 08:38 PM
Shelob scared the shit out of me. End of story...:eek:

Valkyrien
12-19-2003, 07:21 AM
dammit dammit dammit! I even had plans to see it tonight! and they fell through! DAMMIT! Well, tomorrow for sure, happy birthday to me:D

MaDSheeP
01-10-2004, 08:31 AM
yikes, quite a few pages...

anyway, here is a bit of a newer word on the hobbit movie

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/tv_film/newsid_3380000/3380461.stm

"Actor Ian McKellen says he'd be up for playing the wizard Gandalf once more."

:bounce: :bounce:

aurora
01-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Well that somewhat takes care of one of PJ's problems. But I think the real problem is the Sony - NewLine conflict. I seriously doubt Sony will give up the rights to distribution especially considering the vast fortune yet to be made witht he trilogy films, DVDs, videos, books, ect... :(

MaDSheeP
01-10-2004, 04:18 PM
give up the rights to distribution?

boboroshi
01-10-2004, 05:57 PM
If New Line has the rights to make it, it would be smart for sony to come up with something that lets them make a little money, instead of letting it sit wallowing in "what if" land.

DigiLusionist
01-11-2004, 06:57 AM
Dear Lord, if both companies can earn $1 billion box office and another $1-2 billion each off of DVDs and merchandising, I think they can pull their heads out long enough to figure out how to make The Hobbit happen before Ian passes, and PJ decides to just pass on the movie.

I mean come on. These movie execs have to grown the hell up and do business.

Boone
01-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Come to think of it - The Hobbit contains quite a few songs...would Peter Jackson be interested in a semi-musical?

chrisWhite
01-11-2004, 06:59 PM
:surprised I hope not, I mean I loved some of the singing in ROTK but anything more than that would disappoint me. :shrug:

Boone
01-11-2004, 07:52 PM
Re: N2ChristTheKing.

Ah, well - the songs are important to the story, ya'see...Peter Jackson has to do them or he would never be forgiven by Tolkien's fans...:wise:

chrisWhite
01-11-2004, 07:59 PM
I see your point, but I wouldn't want him to over do them either, I am BTW a very avid Tolkien fan myself, I personally think the LOTRs are the greatest works of fiction ever written, and the Hobbit comes close to that as well.

Boone
01-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Re: N2ChristTheKing.

Oh, you're no fun at all!:rolleyes:

"Ding-dong - the witch is dead!":bounce:

chrisWhite
01-11-2004, 08:06 PM
lol :bounce:

Steve Green
01-11-2004, 08:16 PM
http://www.thelordoftheringsmusical.com

Not sure how they're going to get 20,000 orcs on stage :)

- Steve

boboroshi
01-12-2004, 05:06 AM
Dear god no. say it ain't so.

"GAn-dalf, I just met a wiz-ard named Gan-dalf..."

(*cringes*)

Boone
01-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Re: Boboroshi.

"With Saruman - Unhappy as can be!":cool:

Valkyrien
01-13-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Steve Green
http://www.thelordoftheringsmusical.com

Not sure how they're going to get 20,000 orcs on stage :)

- Steve

god help us all...:rolleyes:

RobertoOrtiz
03-07-2004, 01:58 AM
'Hobbitt,''Rings' Prequel, in the Works

Quote:

"
NEW YORK (AP) - Peter Jackson won't be returning to the Shire any time soon. The Oscar-winning director is planning to film "The Hobbit," the prequel to "The Lord of the Rings," trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien, but two studios must first fight over legal rights to the film.

Jackson said New Line Cinema has the rights to make the movie, but MGM has the rights to distribute it.

"I guess MGM's lawyers and New Line's lawyers are going to have a huge amount of fun over the next few years trying to work it all out," he told reporters recently in Los Angeles, according to AP Radio. "I'm obviously busy for a couple of years on 'King Kong' so those lawyers can just go at it for a long time."

"The Hobbit" tells the story of Bilbo Baggins, who found the ring and eventually passes it on to his nephew, Frodo Baggins. Frodo's journey to Mount Doom to destroy the ring is the basis for the "Rings" books and films.

Jackson said if he were going to direct the movie, he'd want it to feel like the rest of the trilogy. On Sunday, Jackson won an Academy Award for best director shared the adapted-screenplay award with his two co-writers for the final "Rings" film, "The Return of the King."

"I'd want Ian McKellen to be back as Gandalf, I'd want it to feel like it was part of the same mythology that we've done with 'Lord of the Rings,'" Jackson said."

>>Link<< (http://apnews.myway.com//article/20040306/D814VP480.html)

-R

Peter Reynolds
03-07-2004, 12:55 PM
bring it on PJ

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.