PDA

View Full Version : Does Windows 8 Operating System have 32 bit compatibility mode option?

FreeSpirited
08-24-2012, 07:03 PM
I would like to know if the Windows 8 operating system scheduled for release in the last week of October will have a 32 bit mode option like the Windows 7 operating system has available in the Professional Version. If the Windows 8 OS has only the 64 bit mode capability, would these last two months before it's release be a good time to acquire a Windows 7 Professional Version upgrade for an older computer with hardware designed to run with a 32 bit operating system? On the other hand if Windows 8 does have a 32 bit mode operating option, this may be the preferred option for an upgrade?

I went to the Microsoft Windows website and could not find the answer to this question.
Tried some other forums like beta news (their reveiws forum) yet nothing mentioned there about this possible option being available with any versions of Windows 8.

Anyone here at CGS have some insight?

If I simply wait for it's release in late October and check out the box in a retail store to find out the answer to this question it may be too late in the event there is no 32 bit mode capability with Windows 8. They may remove all the Windows 7 Professional Version operating system product from their shelves when Windows 8 is released. They have done something similar in the past when new versions of their operating system are released.

CKPinson
08-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Maybe you should install it and see- The preview has the x64 and x86 Programs folders- I just don't run anything 32

FreeSpirited
08-29-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm really not enthusiastic about trying any beta pre-release versions of an operating system.
My situation would be a purchase out of the box for this.

With Windows 7 there was some sort of bios update that would no let you reinstall or go back to any earlier versions of their operating system, no return to XP if you did not like 7. I would hestitate for this reason trying 8 without any assurance of this working on an older machine designed for the XP generation of operating systems. My computer and software would continue working correctly with a 32 bit mode operating system. The computer I use is older and has this capability limitation. If I could get an upgrade to Windows 8 Professional on this older computer with a 32 bit mode operating system, there may be the possibility of going back to internet service with this machine and having support with this newer operating system, something Windows XP is fading out. I feel XP will soon become so old and obsolete that finding any Internet Security for online use will become impossible.

Another situation here is that my computer desktop is really old and is not online, I use this exclusively for artwork with older graphics commercial programs that I payed for and some newer open-source software such as Blender and the GIMP. I believe this would make it impossible for me to download a beta or any other version of an operating system online. Need a disc to download any operating system upgrade.

I do not mean to be difficult yet I have been into graphic arts for some 7 years now and have learned everything on my own with some help and support with graphic arts web sites like: CGS, Art Rage, Concept Art, Painter Factory, Corel News Group, Image Kind, and Deviant Art. When I started this computer artwork back in 2004 a commitment was made and money invested to try out. Now I have made progress and a considerable amount of productivity working many hours and persevering at graphic and computer fine arts. Presently have serious problems with money to keep up with all the new changes and upgrades. I wish the resources were available to move onto the new improved software and hardware and make progress with my output. I am trying to preserve what I have as long as possible since I have no money to buy new software and hardware. I do not want to quit, and hope things will improve in the future and money will become available for new hardware and software. Yet for now trying to make the best with what I have. I could spend the limited amount of money to upgrade into Windows 8, so long as my pen tablet, software, and hardware continue to work the same way as they presently do with Windows XP. I do not have the money to buy a new Wacom tablet, $2000 in newer vesions of software, and $1200 for a new computer and monitor for 64 bit mode operation.

cgbeige
08-30-2012, 02:22 AM
I'm reviewing some virtual machine software and having to test Windows 8 with it and I can say that this is the worst OS I've ever used. All the slight and smart changes they brought in Win7 are out the window and it's a complete disaster for usability. It also has compatibility issues with some software and games so I don't recommend Win8 either way. My gaming rig and virtual machines will be staying on Windows 7 Pro.

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2012, 02:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.