PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Internships

Pha001
08-24-2012, 01:02 AM
I have been pondering a lot about getting an internship and have found a lot of opportunities that are located quite far from where I live! The problem that I am really concerned about is relocating as a college intern; we are a poor, poor species. I've heard from some people that companies will give a stipend for housing and such, but that was some time ago. I went in to further research, but no such sources cite that they do this so I am skeptical. Thus, I started this thread to snatch some input from current and pass interns and even industry artists too!

Pre-Thank yous for the responses!

Meloncov
08-24-2012, 08:32 PM
A few of the biggest studios (Disney, Pixar, etc) will take care of housing for you, but at the vast majority of studios you'll have to pay for housing out of your salary (if you have one).

Pha001
08-25-2012, 10:56 PM
I do suppose getting an internship with large studios is a bloodbath, especially in this economy. What would be an alternate suggestion for getting a foot in the door?

Meloncov
08-26-2012, 07:51 AM
They are, though internships at smaller companies are only slightly better. If you live very frugally, you should be able to relocate for a couple of months on an intern's salary (look on craigslist for apartment sublets). If that's not an option, pay for it with student loans. If it's a good internship, it'll be more than worth it.

Pha001
08-26-2012, 04:25 PM
It is worth a shot then. Thanks much for the responses, it is very much appreciated.

narenn
09-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Networking is a must! Even for internships... Having someone from within the company, or even a friend of a friend who has the hookup can go a long way in helping you fill that position.

CGTalk Moderation
09-01-2012, 08:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.