PDA

View Full Version : 6Gb/s... USB 3.0...PCI Express 3.0 x16... new motherboard questions

twosheds
08-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi people, I'm building a new comp, but haven't really been keeping up with the latest tech and it's been nearly 4 years since I built my last PC - just wondering a few things.

The motherboard I want (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131818)- says it has 4 SATA 3Gb/s and 4 x SATA 6Gb/s. I'm not sure, but I think the 4 x SATA 6Gb/s are for SSD's, is that right?
Will my current regular 33G/s 7200 RPM SATA HDD's work with the 6Gb/s ports in that motherboard - in other words are they backwards-compatible?

Same question about the USB 3.0 - backwards-compatible with USB 2.0 devices?

And of course the PCI Express 3.0 x16 makes me wonder if my PCI Express 2.0 x16 GTX 560 will work in it. It says it also has a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot - 1 (@x4) - and I have noooo idea what that means. *shrug*

I like the features of this board, and I'm planning on putting a 3.5 ghz Ivy Bridge CPU in it along with 32 GB of GSkill RAM, but that's draining me of too much cash at the moment, so I can't run out and buy a bunch of new hard drives and all new USB devices.
My current PC has 2 fairly new Western Digital 2TB SATA HDD's, and 3 older smaller WD SATA drives, and I assume they're 3Gb/s, but I want to make sure I'll be able to use them in this machine, not to mention obviously my GTX 560, and of course my mouse and keyboard are both USB 2.0 devices.

It's my understanding that these things are in fact backwards-compatible, but just run at their 'old tech' speeds, but I need to make sure before buying.

Also, again, I'm really baffled what that "1 (@x4)" means for the PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot.

Thanks for any answers. :)

Srek
08-23-2012, 10:01 AM
USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0 and SATA 6GB are fully backward compatible.
The SATA 6GB isn't only for SSDs, a modern fast normal harddisks will benefit from it as well.

Also, again, I'm really baffled what that "1 (@x4)" means for the PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot.
Very likely it means that you can plug in a 16x card in that slot, but only 4 PCIe lanes are actually used.

Cheers
Björn

twosheds
08-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Thank you very much, Björn. :D

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2012, 05:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.